Are you as good as you are gonna get?

What's Hot
Been thinking about this, although we often still keep learning do we all reach a point where that's it !
For me I think I reached that point in last two years, my slide guitar playing is improving, and I think I will get better with time, but i believe there is a trade off between age/dexterity and knowledge of your craft.
Thoughts please ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    No, I'm worse than I used to be, at least technically.  But I just don't have the same amount of time to practice right now compared to when I basically did nothing else as a teenager.  Musically I'm definitely always improving though, I hope!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockhopperRockhopper Frets: 99

Worse than I used to be too. You get older, work and life get in the way!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I was better when I had more time to practise (IE 2 hours a night, 5 night a week)...

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Been thinking about this, although we often still keep learning do we all reach a point where that's it !
    For me I think I reached that point in last two years, my slide guitar playing is improving, and I think I will get better with time, but i believe there is a trade off between age/dexterity and knowledge of your craft.
    Thoughts please ?

I don't think I have got any better since my mid 20s in fact I am not as fluid as I was and for sure I am more limited in my solo ideas, mainly becuase life now gets in the way, practice time is snatched, I used to record a lot and I now I don't so much because I can't lock myself away from my family! I teach a couple of lessons a week to ensure I keep my hand in and offer myself a challenge, but dedicated practice and improvement cycles are a thing of the past.

However I am sure that if I was to really go back to old habits the improvement would come. Whats most imprortant to me though is that music is still fun and I still can squeeze in once a week band practice..

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26560
    Depends...in terms of speed, yes - I can't see myself being able to play any faster than I can right now. In terms of accuracy...yeah, more practice would definitely improve things there, because I've been sliding backwards for a while now.

In terms of ideas/imagination? I need more time on the instrument to find out, I think. Sadly, time is what I'm most poor in at the moment.
    <space for hire>
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Technically, I'm not going to get any better (my speed picking probably peaked in my early 20s), so I'm focusing on working on composition and general musicality. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17582
    tFB Trader
    Technically slower than when I was at university and practiced more, but musically better than I used to be.

I imagine I won't be getting much better for a while as I'm focussing on learning to sing at the moment.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited July 2014
    Oh god I hope not! Im not very good now, surely there has to be room for some improvement.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Like Monq I'm way slower than I was 10 years ago but I'm a miles better musician and band member. 

And my fingerstyle playing is significantly better. Hoping to improve that further though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    edited July 2014
    I'm better than past, I'm getting more and more playtime, jazz too which always felt intimidating, my technique is building too.
    Speed as well but I try to focus on melody and what I play when I play fast.

Learning the fretboard well and transcribing all my jazz chops and repertoire is the next big challenge.
    No plans for family in the next 3 years so I hope I'll have the time to improve further.
    I'll stick to it until I can maintain a satisfactory level just by playing out instead of practicing every evening
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'm reminded of the 80 y/o retired concert pianist who was asked why he kept playing:

"ya know, I think I'm actually starting to get good at it".

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    I think I'm the best I've ever been but I constantly practice despite gigging 8 to 12 times a month ... you want fame ? well fame cost and right here is where you start paying in sweat etc :)
    To be honest I enjoy the practice and the feeling you get when finally you can do something difficult that you couldn't before. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    Would dearly like to get better, especially more varied, but I'm probably not.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I plateaued ages ago, but I'm at a level where I can learn covers pretty quickly and I seem to be able to impress middle aged guys and drunks in pubs, so that's fine with me for now. I gig on average every fortnight and we generally always get repeat bookings so we're doing something right....and I think that subconsciously makes me think I don't actually "need" to get any better, even though I'm sure I could improve a lot if I tried.

I don't have much time to practice technique, so I've not really learnt anything new for years, but I suppose what I do play is more confident and fluid.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:

You sure, you're already a monster player....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189
    My musical knowledge is far better than it used to be.

I now play in a school orchestra with my daughter and although my sight reading is shite I now having a working starting point where I no longer need to write it all out again in tab!

But technically - no where near as good as I was.

In the past I've played all the shred bass stuff I could get my hands on. Shy Boy / Colorado Bulldog etc etc were easy for a while.

Now I can feel the onset of carpel-tunnel just thinking about it!!
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4134
    I think after a period of years we all get relatively comfortable with what we can do, and not worry so much about what we cannot do. Speed wise we will all slow down as we get older but hopefully that will be tempered with taste and knowledge!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I think I hit the ceiling many years ago, and it's not that high either. Never learned theory, never learned songs. The one thing that is still improving is phrasing.
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    mike_l said:
    viz said:

You sure, you're already a monster player....

u are a kind man to say so but I guess one always sees one's flaws, stagnation and laziness. As well as being exposed to thousands of others who play better/faster/with more feel/less derivative style than oneself - I do anyway! But I spose that's a good thing, albeit annoying.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    viz said:
    u are a kind man to say so but I guess one always sees one's flaws, stagnation and laziness.
    The audience only hears what you can play - not what you can't ;)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom