Which Tele pickups?

What's Hot
I'm in the process of a partscaster Pink Paisley Tele, next purchase for it needs to be pickups. 

I really never got the Tele appeal before, so I'm a bit clueless as to which pickups to plump for. 

Potentially an odd / stupid question, but which pickups from either Oil City or Mojo will give me the 'classic' Tele sound? Other suggestions welcome too. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited July 2014
    I have a tele with pickups to these specs: the neck is wound to 7K, 43 gauge plain enamel wire, bridge is 7.4K, 42 gauge enamel wire. The middle strat type pickup is 6K 42 gauge formvar wire FWIW. All the pickups are alnico 3 magnets. Anyhow, they sound superb IMHO.  I am a fan of alnico 3 magnets for tele pickups - perhaps not the most strident of tones, but very sweet, while also having plenty of shimmer - the neck pickup is a thing of wonder, does jazz very well for one thing, and while the bridge is not lacking for the tele twang, it is never harsh. Although having said that, the maker did suggest to me to go for a Broadcaster spec bridge pickup, which I sometimes wish I had - that would have been about 10K with 43 gauge wire I believe - I may still buy such a pickup from him one day to try.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    I thought this was a UK maker's area?

I agree with you 100% about alnico 3 mind ... I use that in my HonkyTonk Angel neck pickup ... pared to alnico 2 in the matching bridge 'broadcaster style unit.

My twangy Tele sound ... sixties stule is my Original Thames Delta.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Would like to keep it as a UK maker purchase. 

@TheGuitarWeasel Thames Delta for the most 'signature' Tele tone? I know that's a fairly daft question, but would be happy to purchase from you again, not used the scrapyard dogs yet, but the quality looks great and the service was fantastic :)
  • ChéChé Frets: 302
    Bare Knuckle do great Tele pups.
    I thought this was a UK maker's area?

I agree with you 100% about alnico 3 mind ... I use that in my HonkyTonk Angel neck pickup ... pared to alnico 2 in the matching bridge 'broadcaster style unit.

My twangy Tele sound ... sixties stule is my Original Thames Delta.
    My genuine apologies - I had not looked to see which section the thread was in. Will remove the offending link, and I'm sure the Oil City pickups of which you speak would do the OP proud - they sound to be right up my street also! Sorry again folks...  :\">
    edited July 2014 tFB Trader
    There are pretty much three signature Tele bridge tones ... depending on what era Fender you are talking about.
    Early fifties 'Broadcaster':... 43awg wire lower magnetic output pole magnets and a high 9k+ output. Cutting top but fat mids.

Late fifties Tele: 42awg wire alnico 5 magnets moderate to high output. Fat bass, more hollow mids ... stinging top end.

Sixties Tele: Lower output still, fat bass  very delicate mids ... cutting top.

Original Thames Delta is closet to the middle one :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rprrpr Frets: 308
    Dont want to derail this thread, but I'm in a similar situation as Op-Just wondering how a A5 bridge and A3 set would work, balance and sound wise?
    tFB Trader
    As the A3 is at the neck where the string is loudest ... the balance is fine

Interesting info on the 3 signature tele bridge pickup types. Any thoughts on the issue of whether the poles are flush or not on the bridge pickup GW?
    tFB Trader
    I prefer flush myself ... but I honestly don't think it makes a whole pile of never mind.

I prefer flush myself ... but I honestly don't think it makes a whole pile of never mind.
    OK, fair enough, cheers!