Composition Challenge #4 - Excerpt from Night of the Living Dead 1968

What's Hot
Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
edited December 2014 in Making Music
Greetings people of the Fretboard! We are back for round 4 of the Fretboard Challenge competitions.

The competition:

Every 2 months there will be a competition, it revolves around individuals or groups of forum members composing or covering songs based on a set of rules or guidelines laid out for that particular competition.

For full rules please read here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/8029/fretboard-challenge-rules#latest

Submission Details

All recordings will need to be sent via email to fretboardchallenge AT gmail.com

All songs will then be upload to the Fretboard Challenge YouTube channel -  http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0plkfV_eKHP2QBs76v3Ixw
as well as the SoundCloud page here - https://soundcloud.com/fretboard-challenge

Songs must be submitted in an MP3 format (no need for an image for this challenge)

FRETBOARD CHALLENGE #4

Fretboard Challenge #4 starts 1st August 2014 - Submission deadline -  Midnight 15th Spetember 2014

Voting starts 17th Spetember 2014 - Voting ends 11.30pm 30th September 2014

A new voting system will be in place for this challenge, voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Winner will be announced just before midnight 30th September 2014

Guidelines

Compose a piece of music to accompany an excerpt from the Zombie Car Chase / Attack scene from George A Romero's -  Night of the Living Dead (1968). (Don't worry it is in the public domain and is no longer under copyright)

A video of the scene with the orginal audio can be found here:

A video of the scene without the original audio can be found here:

You can use any instuments or samples you wish, there are no musical rules to this challenge. You can make the composition as full or sparse as you like and you are welcome to add in the minimal sound effects from the scene that have been removed if you wish.

Deadline

Midnight (UK time) 15th Spetember 2014.

Prizes

The prizes for this competition will be a brand new Pickmaster Plectrum Cutter supplied very kindly by @monquixote and a brand new Belcat DST-501 Distortion Pedal supplied by @Antique_Guitars

imageimage

If you have any questions please let me know.
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    This one looks like fun. Tough but fun.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Hmmm....interesting but challenging (I guess that's the idea).

I believe my version of Cubase is capable of handling video for doing this kind of thing but I've never been there with it - time to RTFM, I think.
    B-)
  • You don't need to do anything with the video other than use it for a guide to your track. I can combine the tracks with the video after submission.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    To be recorded around midnight in a thunderstorm ... this will be a challenge [and a half] ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I want someone to do some comical clown, fair ground stuff for it
    Old Is Gold
  • Or like music to a Benny Hill sketch
    Old Is Gold
    I want someone to do some comical clown, fair ground stuff for it
    I had that exact thought, did you know that "clown music song" you always think about is called "Entry of the Gladiators".
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    ooh Scary challenge - in more ways than one :-)

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hmmm, before I watched the clip I was thinking I'd go all atmospheric and creepy, but it's quite fast paced so I'm not sure that'd work.

• not_the_dj;309387" said:
    Hmmm, before I watched the clip I was thinking I'd go all atmospheric and creepy, but it's quite fast paced so I'm not sure that'd work.
    Clown music! It's the way forward I tell you.

Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    My mate's old punk band from Wales used to dress up as (scary) clowns - they were called Not The Only Clown In The Village.

:O)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Fretwired said:
    To be recorded around midnight in a thunderstorm ... this will be a challenge [and a half] ... ;-)
    I have visions now  of some poor soul coming a cropper after playing his Knopfler style Dobro in the middle of a field during a storm. 
    I had that exact thought, did you know that "clown music song" you always think about is called "Entry of the Gladiators".
    you lazy fuckers this one:

I cant beleive no one else finds that funny
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I am genuinely stoked for this one
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I just e-mailed in my entry and image. It's acoustic only, no layering. I did it in 30 minutes (admittedly it did take 5-6 takes as I got red light fever!). Since I'm off on holiday I didn't go overboard in terms of production/nailing it but to be honest, even if I wasn't going on holiday, I probably still would have done it raw like this!

OK... it's e-mailed in , anyway. 
  • I just e-mailed in my entry and image. It's acoustic only, no layering. I did it in 30 minutes (admittedly it did take 5-6 takes as I got red light fever!). Since I'm off on holiday I didn't go overboard in terms of production/nailing it but to be honest, even if I wasn't going on holiday, I probably still would have done it raw like this!

OK... it's e-mailed in , anyway. 
    Wow never had an entry that quickly before, great playing!
    Old Is Gold
  • Thanks! I look forward to hearing the other entries when I get back from holiday :)
    I've not got around to doing anything towards this yet but last night, while lying in the bath, I had an 'idea'!

All I have to do now is get around to manifesting this into actual musical sound.
    ;)
  • I'm also still to get much more than an idea, though i am thinking i might debut something ive long held as a potentially original sounding thing...hopefully it works :) so stoked for this challenge
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    you lazy fuckers this one:

I cant beleive no one else finds that funny
    If his surname ended in a t instead of a k it would be hilarious ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom