What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

10thumbs said:

Watched the Hateful 8 , a few  nights ago ,I`ve gone off Tarantino , about three quarters of the way through the film it looked like it could be getting set up for a great ending (ie like a thriller with a twist) but it didn`t ,

I won`t give anything away but ....... there was not one character to like by the end , not one with a redeeming quality , nobody to empathise with, and nobody to care about , whether they lived or died ,I was left disappointed , Pulp Fiction and True Romance seem so long ago

Just downloaded Spectre for tonight , fingers crossed.

I thought the same and I'm a huge Tarantino fan ....... I mean the early dialog had some gold in it but it never delivered what I thought it would. 

The Revenant : Not bad at all and the best fight I've seen between a man and a bear, well maybe not a fight but the best mauling I've seen anyway :)

Gotta love Screener season 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited December 2015
    goldtop said:

Dune. I'd somehow missed seeing it all these years, despite being a sci-fi fan.

It's woeful. I can't believe that it came out two years after Blade Runner. The FX are just awful, the worst being the fiery explosions on a target that's moving, but where the budget/skills didn't extend to making the fire move with the target! Was it done ona B-movie budget?

The sets are as hokey as the ones in Flash Gordon. But while hokey works in FG, in Dune it clashes horribly with the movie's attempted gravitas. And not one of the characters has any depth, despite the quality of the actors. I knew it had Sting in it, but his performance was especially toe-curling.
    Probably better than he was in Quadrophenia, where he completely ruins the otherwise perfectly captured atmosphere of 1964 by being obviously from 1979. It was on again recently - the more times I watch it the more he grates. Quadrophenia excluding Sting: 10/10. Quadrophenia including Sting: 8/10. Sadly he can't be removed now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited December 2015
    Daddy's home...Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrill
    It was pretty good actually...but bear in mind the last 5 films I've watched have been with my 5 year old, for 5 year olds... :)
  • Behind the Candelabra. I drifted a bit but some great performances.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary;915115" said:
    Behind the Candelabra. I drifted a bit but some great performances.
    I have finally watched it (well, 75% of it) and found it bit difficult through over the top conversations in bed between waxed chests of Damon and Douglas.

Not a bad movie but mediocre at its best IMHO.

5/10

• SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Spotlight 8/10

Legend  5/10

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • starwars. it's quite good. 8/10
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Good Dinosaur Christmas Eve cinema visit with my son, rather enjoyable, funny, sad etc the usual Disney recipe but some genuine didn't see it coming funny moments. 7/10
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 844
    edited December 2015
    The revenant. Brings back all my Doom 2 memories lol! What a great movie and the bear sequence? Out of this world.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Watched Wild Tales last night....that has some pretty funny bits in it. It's a collection of short films with a lot of black humour. All Audi drivers should be made to watch it ;-)

I've also seen Uncle Buck...that's a quality film :-)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    We Were Soldiers. Based on true events 'Nam movie with Mel Gibson as a tough cookie US colonel. Pretty brutal in places and not bad overall.
  • In The Heart Of The Sea.  Great story, effects a bit iffy at times. I found it to be a rollercoaster ride of action and adventure.

8/10
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    All of the die hards (never seen them before). All of the mad mad films and some Otto preminger films.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SibeliusSibelius Frets: 1401

Suffragette 5/10

The Big Short 8/10 

I am however a fanboi of researching things before spouting shit
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Kingsman. Engaging romp I guess. Ooh, saw Albert Nobbs earlier in the week. Film that seemed to constantly about to become tragic and sad and then it did.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Just watched Iron Man 3 on the beeb - Far better than I was expecting, pretty funny and over the top
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    BigBearKris;907907" said:
    "Revenant" - DiCaprio and Tom Hardy being hunted by native Americans. (Well sort of but no need to spoil).
    Absolutely GREAT movie in my opinion. DiCaprio's stunning performance may finally bring him an academy award next year. Hardy was surprisingly good in it too, although I don't consider him as a great actor (despite the hype and the fact that he stars in about 80% movies released recently ).
    I'll definitely watch it again. Worth watching just for great photo shoots and story. Well recommended. 9/10

Yes, savage and gripping. The bear scene is incredible.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    My last few weeks' viewing, mostly on planes.

Star Wars TFA. 
    Excellent. See Star Wars thread for my thoughts - not getting into an argument here!

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation 
    Just another MI film, but a well-executed one, and they filmed a 15-second sequence right outside my old flat, which is nice.

Bridge of Spies
    Very talky, but absolutely great. Hanks is fantastic, as ever.

The Martian
    Really bloody good. Best Ridley Scott since Gladiator at least.

Time Lapse
    Indie thing. Timey-wimey story about a camera that takes pictures of the future. Super low-budget and like Primer-for-dummies but well executed and a decent ending that could've been far more contrived.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    edited January 2016
    The Danish Girl - the latest movie wherein Eddie Redmayne gets right inside a physically different character. And he does it very well again. It's a good movie, 7/10.

Mostly disappointed though because after watching it, I looked up the fascinating true story, and many more important/controversial/interesting stuff was left out. So it now feels like a 5/10.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ET. I cried.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom