What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Michael Moore  -  Where to Invade Next.
    He starts out looking at tax/welfare/economic policy in France, Italy, Portugal and compares them with the USA.
    And then he moves onto countries (and the USA) reminding themselves of their dark past to remind themselves who and what they truly are. :-O
    Cue Slavery and Lynch Mobs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398

Dirty Grandpa : what a load of crap, turned it off after 20 mins, pile of shite

Hail, Ceasar! : excellent romp set in early Hollywood, usual quality from the Coen brothers, really enjoyed it
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22732
    edited April 2016
    Knock Knock. Keanu Reeves makes Nic Cage look like Marlon feckin Brando. Quite entertaining in its own way though.
    It's all right, but it doesn't really deliver on any level and the ending's very weak.  I like Keanu Reeves (I like Nic Cage too) but he is absolutely dreadful in this - robs the film of any dramatic impact it might have had.

Another Eli Roth film shot in Chile - I don't know if it's cheap or just an excuse for a holiday at someone else's expense.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    Martian. I'd rather go to Mars myself than watch it again
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Philly_Q said:
    Watched Re-animator for the first time in years.Still as smart and funny as I remember it back in the day and the female lead is every bit as cute as I remember.

Barbara Crampton.  Something of an icon in the horror movie community!  She was a special guest at Frightfest last summer and appeared in no less than four of the films being shown.  She seems a very nice lady, not at all "Hollywood".  And still looking good at 57.
    I love Re-Animator. 

Barbara Crampton's a beauty.  She was in a film called 'We Are Still Here' which was much better than I expected. 

I saw Ti West 'The Sacrament' which I thought was a shoddy, cliche ridden, unfunny 'Red State'.  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Tonight's ironing sponsored by Rock of Ages. Seen it before, worse than I remembered. WTF is Russell Brand's accent supposed to be? Many great rock songs totally ruined throughout. Despite all that oddly fun.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tabbycattabbycat Frets: 341
    edited April 2016
    Skipped said:
    Michael Moore  -  Where to Invade Next.
    He starts out looking at tax/welfare/economic policy in France, Italy, Portugal and compares them with the USA.
    And then he moves onto countries (and the USA) reminding themselves of their dark past to remind themselves who and what they truly are. :-O
    Cue Slavery and Lynch Mobs.

thanks for the heads up, skipped. haven't seen that one but will give it a go. last thing i saw along those lines was either the 'human resources' or 'psywar' documentaries, both worth a look.

last film film i saw was lore (2013). it's like a cross between polanski's 'the pianist' and jane campion's 'the piano' (1993) though it has nothing to do with pianos. very lush photography and a strong impressionistic narrative, almost told more through image than dialogue.

tense story of the daughter of a nazi doctor coming to terms with her mother's part in the holocaust. rites of passage thing. german with english subs.

"be a good animal, true to your instincts" (d.h.lawrence).
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Mud on the TV.  It was harmless and good, reminded me of childhood again.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    ... and bits of Bridget Jones's Diary. My 16 year old son was watching it for the first time and screaming and laughing at the TV. I think it's a really good film, quite a lot of in jokes that pass you by the first time as well. The sequel is abysmal though, although that is a reflection of the novels (yes, I read them).
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24198
    ... and bits of Bridget Jones's Diary. My 16 year old son was watching it for the first time and screaming and laughing at the TV. I think it's a really good film, quite a lot of in jokes that pass you by the first time as well. The sequel is abysmal though, although that is a reflection of the novels (yes, I read them).
    When it came out I only went to see it because a mate was an extra in it (in the 'Christmas jumper' scene) and it was far better than I expected.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26925
    edited April 2016
    Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. 

Should've been an hour stuck on the end of the last one. Nothing wrong with it except pacing and that every ounce of the plot is hugely obvious. It's just not enough of a story to be worth an entire film. And seriously bleak in places too.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Anvil:The story of Anvil
    Funny, in a Spinal Tap way, still cannot tell if genuine or a piss take.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited April 2016
    Hardcore Henry.  If you've got a Cineworld Unlimited card and nothing better to do, then why not, it's a bit of fun to kill 90 mins.  It's like Wolfenstein: The New Order the movie, but without the subtle subtext.

There was too much shaky camera action for me.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22732
    edited May 2016
    Not a film, but I've just watched the last two episodes of series 3 of Line of Duty.

I thought the programme was treading water a bit mid-series, but... Wow.  The most tense, gripping, utterly engrossing thing I have seen on TV for years.  Well done to all concerned.

Now thank god John Whittingdale is going to stamp out all this high-quality BBC programming.  It really is unfair on all the other channels peddling fucking rubbish on the other sides.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26925
    Spectre again, cos it has a car chase in Rome. 
    Still beautifully shot and well acted from all the major players, but an incoherent plot and slightly pants script leave it "meh".
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Philly_Q said:
    Not a film, but I've just watched the last two episodes of series 3 of Line of Duty.

I thought the programme was treading water a bit mid-series, but... Wow.  The most tense, gripping, utterly engrossing thing I have seen on TV for years.  Well done to all concerned.

Now thank god John Whittingdale is going to stamp out all this high-quality BBC programming.  It really is unfair on all the other channels peddling fucking rubbish on the other sides.
    I've just watched the first series and now on the 2nd, yeah it is very good 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Ted 2. I quite liked the first one and came to this with expectations of diminishing returns. Has funny moments. Would be fairly meaningless if you hadn't seen the first film.

Bits of Doc Hollywood. One of the cheesiest films ever made but it's not pretending to be anything but and I find Michael Jackson Fox an endearing character, even if basically the same character in everything he made.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    EricTheWeary said: 
    Bits of Doc Hollywood. One of the cheesiest films ever made but it's not pretending to be anything but and I find Michael Jackson Fox an endearing character, even if basically the same character in everything he made.
    Watch Casualties Of War. His performance in that is truly great, and totally unlike the lightweight typecasting he got lumbered with. (Or perhaps wanted to be, I don't know.)

I last saw the new Jungle Book - review in the specific thread, but basically it was excellent, far better than I expected - and I watched the Janis Joplin 'Little Girl Blue' film, if that counts. A sad story, really. She had an amazing natural talent but seemed destined to never fulfil her potential or for success to make her happy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Avengers Assemble.

Watched it with the kids and Jesus it is good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    edited May 2016
    stickyfiddle;1050251" said:
    Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. 

Should've been an hour stuck on the end of the last one. Nothing wrong with it except pacing and that every ounce of the plot is hugely obvious. It's just not enough of a story to be worth an entire film. And seriously bleak in places too.
    Saw that recently too, I thought it was dire, especially the kitschy ending. As you say, it could have been easily included in part one, it was obviously just a moneymaking exercise. And what was the point of making such a big deal of Snow having some sort of lung disease throughout the whole series? Totally irrelevant.