What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The Shallows. I thought the lead was very good and the shark looked cool. Not much of it made much sense but it was ok. 6.5765/10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Ghostbusters 2016

I really didn't want to hate it (honestly!). I didn't expect it to be great, but a solid 6/10 would've been fun. Alas. 

3/10 if I'm being kind.

Also, I have tonsillitis so I thought I'd liveblog it. 

Spoilers ahoy! Click the dots! Don't say I didn't warn you!

@stickyfiddle Thank you, that was an entertaining read!  I really want to watch it now, just to see how bad it is.

One (spoiler-free) comment on the CGI - I saw the trailer and thought it looked terrible, but I assumed (giving them the benefit of the doubt) that they were deliberately trying to make the ghosts look like puppets covered in luminous paint...  But maybe they weren't.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    edited September 2016
    Philly_Q said:
    Ghostbusters 2016

I really didn't want to hate it (honestly!). I didn't expect it to be great, but a solid 6/10 would've been fun. Alas. 

3/10 if I'm being kind.

Also, I have tonsillitis so I thought I'd liveblog it. 

Spoilers ahoy! Click the dots! Don't say I didn't warn you!

@stickyfiddle Thank you, that was an entertaining read!  I really want to watch it now, just to see how bad it is.

One (spoiler-free) comment on the CGI - I saw the trailer and thought it looked terrible, but I assumed (giving them the benefit of the doubt) that they were deliberately trying to make the ghosts look like puppets covered in luminous paint...  But maybe they weren't.
    Well I'm glad I've achieved something on day 4 of lurgy-town! 

I'm quite aware I'm biased as the originals (plus the cartoon) are among my fondest and earliest childhood memories, but nothing will stop the new one being a steaming pile of shite. They *must* have known how bad it was while making it, but I guess the stakes were way too high to can it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Saw the magnificent seven remake remake. It was better than I was expecting. 6/10

Kubo and the two strings nice family friendly film 7/10
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    The World's End

Bit of a slow start, but then a massive pick-up. Much better than I thought it'd be. A solid 7.4 out of 10.2.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Swiss Army Man

One of the most bonkers bat-shit films I've seen in recent years.  Totally indescribable, but I liked it.  You'll have a hard time watching a Harry Potter film again after seeing Daniel Radcliffe in this one.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • Ghostbusters (2016). 2/10. Really wanted to like it (it was me that started the thread a few months ago excited about the upcoming trailer). However, it really is terrible. Have to agree with the review on imdb that called it an unfunny mess with no real plot, terrible cgi,  awful theme song, bad switching between scenes. The man-hating thing and racial sterotype thing are really secondary to what is just a terrible film. Paul Feig is definitely a name I will be avoiding in future.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    saw Chappie on Sky the other day…
    really enjoyed it.. 
    play every note as if it were your first
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Watched Fury last night, enjoyed it.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Magnificent 7 at the flicks yesterday, if you want depth and gravitas, give it a miss...if you want a good old fashioned formula Western, go and see it. We thoroughly enjoyed it, a bit of bullshit escapism on a rainy afternoon....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Although it is not a movie, me and the wife finished watching The Preacher on Amazon Prime last night. Thoroughly brilliant, all ten episodes. Heard there is a series 2 in 2017 which we are hyped about. 

Hey, you just watch it ... 

American Sniper, an enjoyable watch....

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Sinister 2.  I didn't dislike it, but it's not a patch on the first one - the elements are all there but they just don't fit together.
  • @paulnb57's review of The Magnificent 7 is a fair one.  I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It is a great film for a bit of horse 'n' gun related action.  One of the ladies I was with is not a fan of horse opera, she really enjoyed it.

10/10
    A couple of others recently viewed

Criminal, not bad, formula stuff, but entertaining for what it is

Revenant, really enjoyed it....

Secret Life of Pets, it was OK, but there were some laugh out loud moments

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    Going to see magnificent seven, from what you guys have said sounds like exactly what I need :D
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • @MrSwanson , please let us know how you got on.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    @MrSwanson , please let us know how you got on.
    Thought the same as you guys, good fun, liked the characters and didn't take itself too seriously.

Made me want to Red Dead again!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Star Trek Beyond. Good fun, slickly made blockbuster with some great visuals. 7.688/10.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24264
    ennspek said:
    Star Trek Beyond. Good fun, slickly made blockbuster with some great visuals. 7.688/10.
    I really enjoyed that. Far better than Into Darkness. The final battle with the conflicting gravity was ace.

Nice bit of Sabotage too!