What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:
    The World's End

Bit of a slow start, but then a massive pick-up. Much better than I thought it'd be. A solid 7.4 out of 10.2.
    It was more fun than I thought it would be. 8.759 out of a random top scorer. Roughly.

I saw @chillidoggy posted about Storage 24 and it was on last night. It *is* absolute twaddle but in a good way IMHO.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Watched trumbo last night. Really enjoyed it. Cranston is always superb. Scary times indeed.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Ex-Machina.. great and thought prevoking
    Swiss Army Man.. bonkers and slightly depressing
    Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates.. light hearted giggles..
    Price and Prejudice and Zombies... oh dear!!

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    DrJazzTap said:
    Watched trumbo last night. Really enjoyed it. Cranston is always superb. Scary times indeed.
    I just got that - not seen it yet. But this review pleases me!
    DrJazzTap said:
    I just got that - not seen it yet. But this review pleases me!
    Yeah it was actually quite unnerving just how badly the Hollywood ten were affected. And I didn't think I would ever feel negative thoughts towards Helen mirren!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Took my youngest spawn to see this. I was unaware of the existence of the books so I had nothing to compare it with.

I thought it was very good. Perhaps not up to Tim Burton's best, but still very good. Eva Green was great, and the young lad who was the main character was impressive.

There were lots of little things going on in the backgrounds. I think I'd spot more on another viewing.

7.5 / 10.

The girl on the train..

Pretty crap. Not worth bothering with at the cinema.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I was listening to a review on the radio. I haven't read the book but apparently the point of the book is she is an unreliable narrator ( a sort of less literary Life of Pi)so that falls apart once you put it on screen. 

DrJazzTap said:
    The girl on the train..

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I was listening to a review on the radio. I haven't read the book but apparently the point of the book is she is an unreliable narrator ( a sort of less literary Life of Pi)so that falls apart once you put it on screen. 

DrJazzTap said:
    The girl on the train..

Hmm yeah I'm not sure. I just went in from a thriller/who dunnit angle. And for me it tries too hard. I figured it out within the first hour.
    It really tries to be like gone girl with shades of memento thrown in. Shame really as i was looking forward to seeing it. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I watched Swiss army man....... Wow one of the most insane /bizarre yet brilliant films I have seen in a long time, I don't think I have seen anything quite like it in a  long time. 

Its certainly a love hate film (and quite understandably most will hate)  but I thought it was a truly brilliant. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • deepwater horizon. an oil rig blows up. some people die, some people dont. 6/10. 
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Ghostbusters, boy did that SUCK. If it was free to watch I'd still want a refund. absolute dire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    15 minutes of The Mist to go.... absolutely terrible,  but hilarious scene in the Jeep... 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2398
    Oh.. that was it,  advert break on SyFy cuts back straight to the end credits lmao. 

hands down the worst film I've seen in the last few years. 
    long tv show rather than a film I guess but Saville on the iPlayer. Not sure it came to a conclusion about it or it reached any conclusions but it managed to still be shocking without being prurient.

I find it still very odd. I remember praising Jimmy ( back on MR I think) after he died for his charity work and as a kid I'd loved Jim'll Fix It. So even at my little level I feel cheated by him. Watching some of the clips on youtube of people like Francis Rossi and Liz Kershaw who all had an idea of something for years. Other people clearly knew lots. 

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

London Town.

A good friend of mine was playing Mick Jones in it and play on the sound track.
    edited October 2016
    long tv show rather than a film I guess but Saville on the iPlayer. Not sure it came to a conclusion about it or it reached any conclusions but it managed to still be shocking without being prurient.

I find it still very odd. I remember praising Jimmy ( back on MR I think) after he died for his charity work and as a kid I'd loved Jim'll Fix It. So even at my little level I feel cheated by him. Watching some of the clips on youtube of people like Francis Rossi and Liz Kershaw who all had an idea of something for years. Other people clearly knew lots. 

I need to watch this. The whole thing staggers me. He was Jimmy Saville???And yet people were too afraid to come forward because of who he was???
    He was a famous tv celebrity....not Don Corleone. 
    And the excuse of it being different times pah.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched Me, Earl and the dying girl a couple of days ago. Anyone seen it? Superb film I thought. Just about to watch Scirio.....(excuse spelling!)

DrJazzTap said:

I need to watch this. The whole thing staggers me. He was Jimmy Saville???And yet people were too afraid to come forward because of who he was???
    He was a famous tv celebrity....not Don Corleone. 
    And the excuse of it being different times pah.
    Not in Saville ( which is Louis Theroux's sort of follow up to the programme he did with him when he was still alive)but elsewhere there are references to Jimmy's alleged links with organised crime and as a young man he seems to have been quite physically violent ( explained in the film). 

30 years ago I worked, briefly, as a driver for a personal injury solicitor and we went to Stoke Mandeville hospital a couple of times to see clients. I remember us being told we should come back ( we didn't) on a day that Jimmy Saville was there as he would love to meet us and how important he was. So the sense that he could do as he pleased there isn't hard to believe. 

That people close to him didn't believe, or wouldn't let themselves believe, what he had done and that he targeted vulnerable people is familiar stuff from stories of other child sex abusers. With Jimmy the scale of it, how close he must have been to being caught and that so many people seem to have known something is staggering.

Just as an example to what extent the allegations were public knowledge ( although it all passed me by) the first 40 seconds of this:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom