What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Wreck It Ralph.

Entirely as expected.

I think it's worth a 7, but probably out of 10.8 or so.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    edited January 2017
    Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. 

Just goes on too long although some of the set pieces are exciting. 
    We watched it too. Totally ludicrous but decent enough. Tom Cruise climbing up the skyscraper had my wife squealing.... only because she hates heights not because she's got the hots for him. 

I watched Monsters University too. It was ok but not as good as the first one. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The skyscraper scene is probably the best bit in it, although it was quite humorous at times ( which I hadn't expected). Quite a complex plot but they recapped about every 15 minutes so you didn't get lost.

boogieman said:
    Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. 

Just goes on too long although some of the set pieces are exciting. 
    We watched it too. Totally ludicrous but decent enough. Tom Cruise climbing up the skyscraper had my wife squealing.... only because she hates heights not because she's got the hots for him. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    I watched Pitch Perfect with the kids.

It was mostly awful, but I have to say the a cappella musical arrangements were excellent

And there were 2 commentators (Elizabeth Banks and some chap) who were clearly inspired by Waldorf and Statler. They were very funny.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    We saw Fantastic Beasts last night, bloody long, over three hours in the chair all in.

One of the better HP films, with some proper belly laughs. The supporting cast of Alison Sudol and Dan Folger steal the show.
  • Rogue One.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Just watched Amercan Gangster, still a bloody good film....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Rewatched Spectre. Probably the best of the Craig Bonds. Still don't like the Sam Smith theme choon though. 
  • A Monster Calls. 
    I thought it was going to be some fairytale about a tree monster but it was a harrowing tale about a young boy with a mum who has cancer. NOT the film you want to watch with your partner who's just gone through a year-long ordeal like that. That aside, I didn't think it was great. 3/10.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited January 2017

The Imitation Game. 2014 film about Alan Turing and Enigma. A lot of historical inaccuracies for a film that has such a historical setting, but I enjoyed it for the most part. A few "no way it happened like that" occasions, but entertaining.

7/10

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited January 2017
    Assassin's Creed    7/10

A good going piece of fiction. I believe that there have been bits cut out which would add significant character development, but I enjoyed it all the same. The end wasn't painful either. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    quarky said:

The Imitation Game. 2014 film about Alan Turing and Enigma. A lot of historical inaccuracies for a film that has such a historical setting, but I enjoyed it for the most part. A few "no way it happened like that" occasions, but entertaining.

When I went to the National Museum Of Computing at Bletchley recently, they basically said that the only two bits that were accurate were that there was a chap called Alan Turing, who worked on cracking the Enigma code…

But I didn't think it was a bad film, otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I went to an advanced screening of "Live By Night" which is Affleck's latest directorial effort last night. I thought it was a fairly good film, some good cinematography maybe a bit long.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on Netflix last night.  Expected total crap, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's pretty weak as a zombie movie, but it's cracking as a costume drama.  Probably works best the more Jane Austen films you've previously sat through.
    ICBM said:
    quarky said:

When I went to the National Museum Of Computing at Bletchley recently, they basically said that the only two bits that were accurate were that there was a chap called Alan Turing, who worked on cracking the Enigma code…

But I didn't think it was a bad film, otherwise.

It's Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory gone back in time. Decent film spoiled by Benedict Cucumberpatch's hammy performance. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22792
    dtr said:
    Watched Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on Netflix last night.  Expected total crap, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's pretty weak as a zombie movie, but it's cracking as a costume drama.  Probably works best the more Jane Austen films you've previously sat through.

I didn't like it as much as you did, but I agree that the Jane Austen bits were a lot more convincing than the zombie bits.  There's that one badly choreographed slow motion / bullet time fight scene at the beginning which made me think oh no, this is going to be pathetic... then they pretty much abandon that approach and go into BBC Sunday night drama mode.

I was expecting the opposite, a comedy horror - but not too scary or bloody for the Cineworld audiences, of course - with a bit of period costume.  But it's only slightly comic and not remotely horrific.

A better director could and should have balanced the different elements, but it's OK.

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation. It's a bit silly but I quite like this franchise, moves along.

Bridge of Spies. Interesting, I liked it. Although Tom Hanks seems to have stopped acting characters several years ago in favour of playing an heroic version of himself.

10 Cloverfeld Lane. I hadn't intended to watch this whilst MrsTheWeary had it on but I got drawn in. Gripping stuff. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Just watched City of God. Really decent film, enjoyed it 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22792

Bridge of Spies. Interesting, I liked it. Although Tom Hanks seems to have stopped acting characters several years ago in favour of playing an heroic version of himself.

I think he's become the new Jimmy Stewart.  Which probably isn't a bad thing.
    edited January 2017
    Philly_Q said:

I think he's become the new Jimmy Stewart.  Which probably isn't a bad thing.
    Yeh, some of my favourite films are Jimmy Stewart films. It's a good film but it is very much a Tom Hanks film rather than a film which he is in. Two hours and fifteen minutes, I think he is in every scene.

Edit -  random fact act about Bridge of Spies : the film features the U2 plane ( from which U2 took their name) and features Bono's daughter in the cast. Crazy.