[COMPLETED] - Pink Paisley Tele partscaster

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
edited October 2014 in Making & Modding
Always fancied a Pink Paisley, I started searching for them again after seeing the one for sale on here and found out that Allparts make a licensed PP body :)

More searching later, the UK price was £600+, I ordered via eBay one of the USA sellers, after paying VAT on it today, it came to just under £400, which is still a lot, but the quality is amazing!

Here it is as it arrived, next to a very special neck (it's like a piece of art!) I got from @GSPBASSES as part of a Tele thin line partscaster

Not letting my lack of skill or knowledge get in my way, I started measuring out, ready to drill the holes for the pick guard I'd sourced, bridge and control plate. After measuring / checking the pick guard and bridge layout about 10 times, I was ready for drilling (held steady with lots of masking tape)

Some nervous drilling later 

Pretty happy with how it went, the control plate isn't perfectly straight, but more than good enough!

I got the closest pink I could find mixed up in Halfords today to go on the bottom of the pick guard, but that's not to be done until I decide what neck to use, as that will likely involve modifying the pick guard with the Dremel to allow a 22 fret neck to fit in place. More on that in a bit.

I then turned the guitar over and fitted the ferrules

So the neck, I originally planned to use an Allparts TMO-C, I bought one and a Wudtone vintage yellow kit, but sadly my impatience and lack of skill originally made a bit of a pigs ear out of it, I've recovered most of it, but he fretboard is a lot lighter where I kept having to wire wool back (after going a bit OTT on the first attempt at cutting it back). 

This is it prior to the clear being added to the fretboard

Headstock with logo from guitardecals.co.uk

However, pale fretboard aside, as soon as I received the parts caster bits from Grahame (GSP), I decided then I couldn't use this! So I have another birdseye / birdseye neck on the way! Once that arrives I can decide which one to use for this and which to use for the thin line :)

So progress is stalled for now, until the neck choice is made!

I have all the rest of the parts just waiting, including pickups (Thames Deltas) from Ash @ Oil City, can't wait to get this finished!

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    edited August 2014
    in fairness that tele neck is now gonna be perfect for a 70's tele build
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Cool - can't beat a paisley tele :)

I keep looking at the chap who is doing lasered one's on t'bay.. but yours looks miles better methinks :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/niEAAOSwQItT28EJ/$_57.JPG

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I like the laser guy's stuff, too!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Looks awesome, but I would say that :)

Are you going to pink-burst around the pickup hole in the scratchplate?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    WezV;314555" said:
    in fairness that tele neck is now gonna be perfect for a 70's tele buildhttp://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h39/guitarbug/79tele.jpg
    It is starting to even our a little now that the clear is going on the fretboard, I will keep working on it, see how it comes out :)
    stickyfiddle;314592" said:
    Looks awesome, but I would say that :)

Are you going to pink-burst around the pickup hole in the scratchplate?
    Certainly going to give it a go, I've got a decent colour match to the sides in a spray paint, a flat colour though, but shouldn't make much difference when behind the perspex :)
    JookyChap;314559" said:
    Cool - can't beat a paisley tele :)

I keep looking at the chap who is doing lasered one's on t'bay.. but yours looks miles better methinks :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/niEAAOSwQItT28EJ/$_57.JPG
    They do look cool :)
    Had a go at the pickguard today, it trimmed down near the neck easy enough (I've decided to use the 'posh' neck :) ), the spraying on the other hand is now more of a solid block of colour, rather than a fade. I've thinned out the paint a little on the edges with white spirit.

Once it's fully dry I'll try it on and maybe try and feather it out a bit at the ends with wire wool / thinners. I managed to find a clear pickguard for a paisley on eBay in Spain today, so I've bought that just in case this looks terrible. 

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    This thread is pure hardon material. Paisley, vintage vibes and lasers!!! Pure heaven
    How very rock and roll
    Well, I can't seem to make the edges any more faded, so I just reduced the size of it down for now, it'll do until the eBay one turns up :)

edited August 2014
    The pickguard was annoying me, so I cleaned it all off and tried again, about 8 times.. Once happy, I left it to dry indoors. Just went to clean off the overspray and the guard had cracked :(

Airbrushing a new pickguard is the way forward (eBay Spain guard on order too, I'll get this right one way or another :) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FFS! The pickguard arrived from Spain and it's a home sprayed job, done badly at that, overspray and some tiny cracks in it :(

On the plus side, I am going to try and remove the paint and use it for practice with the airbrush kit I bought. 
    Oh, I'm also now not using the neck pictured, I'm waiting for my new one from GSP :)
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Fantastic partscaster!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Loving this. I'm gearing up for a Tele build myself but have got so much on at the moment and this is not helping.
    Cheers @mrchi and @Deadman - The same eBay shop I got this from has the licensed Allparts blue flower body too, spent too much lately, if it's still around in a few months... :)
    Some progress on the pickguard

I ordered this kit from eBay:
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Pink Paisley/image.jpg

I sprayed some of the paint into one of the pots and set to work.

Two different clear guards arrived this week, after many practice attempts on paper, I ended up with these two:
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Pink Paisley/image-2.jpg

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Pink Paisley/image-1.jpg

Fairly happy with both, they do have overspray, which I'm debating what action to take. You can't see it when the guard is on the guitar, but I read that t-cut is OK to use... I'll get some and try it on the test guard (the Spanish one) and see what happens. Either way, the guitar will be wired up and tested ready and waiting for its neck by Monday :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Nice!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    That's pretty good! I'd be well chuffed with that!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Both looking very good now. Is the first one thinner? Looking at the right-hand edge of them both in the pics above, it is much more pronounced on the second one. But maybe that's just a trick of the light/camera angle etc.

What did you power the spray gun from? A rattle can of compressed air, or a compressor?
    mart said:
    Both looking very good now. Is the first one thinner? Looking at the right-hand edge of them both in the pics above, it is much more pronounced on the second one. But maybe that's just a trick of the light/camera angle etc.

What did you power the spray gun from? A rattle can of compressed air, or a compressor?
    First one is thinner, it's the one I'll be using too. The second one has a beveled edge :)

It came with the compressed air, not too shabby for £22 delivered!
    Finally ready for its neck now, a day late due to my soldering iron dying.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r638/davewitchalls/Pink Paisley/image-3.jpg

Can't wait :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom