A 'what bass' thread...

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
I'm after a bass for knocking around on, songwriting and home recording. Gigs might happen but it's not my main focus, and unlikely to be.

My favourite bass player is Royston Langdon but alas at the moment rickenbacker necks don't feel good to me. Probably as my technique is limited.... Experimentation suggests that a Jazz bass profile works for me.

The question is, where's the sweet spot in the jazz bass range? I've picked up a few squiers and thought they were ok but with average (at best) fretwork and finishing. They felt cheap...the CS blocks and binding was great but too much moolah for my purposes. What should I look for with a budget up to a grand? Any other brands with similar feel?

Amp wise I need home levels ideally, and a means of recording would be good.

Any thoughts, good people of the fretboard?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24211
    If you've got a grand to spend then the world is your lobster.

You could get a very nice used Sandberg TT4 for that money or you could stick with a used USA Fender Jazz, which come up on basschat.co.uk at around £700

Bassdirect have a very nice G&L USA JB4 at the moment. It's used at £1200 and that's not a bad price. They also have a Lakland Skyline Darrell Jones signature, but that's a 5 string at £799

If it was my money for a jazz type, it would be a Sandberg TT4. I really like them. I've had 2 Sandbergs and they are very well built, but you might have a bit of a search looking for a used one.

Ooo.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sandberg-Bass-Guitar-/161387122024?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item25936c0d68

That's the TM4 with the humbucker and actives. I have a TM5 and I love it. It will do active and passive and the 'bucker can be coil split for good single coil sounds
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Thanks for the pointers. Much appreciated . Are the Lakland skylines ok? I love the look of the Decade :)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I bought a Squier recently and it is amazing value. Haven't touched my expensive Status since it came in and I'm selling my custom shop jazz!
    Interesting. Which model Squier did you pick up?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285

@Moe_Zambeek Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz

I wanted a 'cheap' bass so that I could have a go at ageing it, I didn't think that I would get so attached to it! As far as I am concerned it was a major bargain at £220.

I might try out some active circuitry in it as I like the extra zap to the sound, but to be honest I am enjoying it as is right now.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    MIM classic series or road worn (if you don't mind the wear - or even like it) I had a MIM road worn refinished by Phillipe Dubreuille on Denmark st and I now like it more than my 1972 Jazz. The Fender Mexican factory is absolutely killing it these days. For full disclosure I also tossed some Fralins in there.
    I don't mind 'wear', most likely the bass will never leave the house :)
  • Look at G&L.

Much better VFM than Fenders, especially if you can buy second hand.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    I'm thinking of selling my fender Geddy Lee bass if you're interested?

Mint condition, still got the protective plastic on the scratchplate!
    This is a Japanese made one and not the later/current Mexican made ones.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-geddy-lee-jazz-bass-black/25229
  • Apologies @wibble, I totally missed your post!
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    No worries. It sold quickly and I'm regretting letting it go!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I was also going to recommend the budget option of a Squier Classic Vibe. Great reviews all over the place, even from players used to higher end kit. The MIM Classic series is also a great shout - you mentioned blocks and binding, they do a 70s model in that range, a few of my friends have had them, toured them extensively on pro stages and loved them.

If you want to go classy, my two main basses are a Sandberg California JM4 and a Musicman Stingray. Both available used within your budget. I love them both for different reasons - the Sandberg is more versatile and is my go to for recording or for dep gigs where I don't know what will be thrown at me. The Stingray is a more aggressive tone that is my first choice if i'm digging in and rocking out - it's capable of much more though, they've been used on classic records in every genre.
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Squier Active Deluxe 5 string, feels and plays superbly £199 collected
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • mrn1989 said:
    Squier Active Deluxe 5 string, feels and plays superbly £199 collected

Too many strings!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom