Suggest something to learn from start to finish..

What's Hot
on an electric guitar.  I have been thinking a bit about my 'playing' recently and have come to the (blindingly obvious) conclusion that I can play very few tunes from start to finish.  Other than those that are fully chord based that is.  I learned bits of the intro to some songs, the chord sequence to another song, a version of the lead solo on another etc. etc.

Basically having worked on a song for a few evenings, I get bored and/or sick of it and give up.  Even when I am making what I call progress with the song or the guitar bits of the song.  A typical example is "I feel fine" by the Beatles.  Not difficult to a capable player, I found it tricky enough and having tried to master it for so long, now if I hear it on the radio I feel a sense of revulsion about the song.  It is a great song, nice hooks on guitar but the effect on me is as described due to the number of hours I spent trying to nail down all the guitar bits.

So suggestions please on what I might consider learning from start to finish.  And/or tips on how to keep it fresh and interesting.  I was thinking about "Parisienne Walkways" by Gary Moore, so something along that standard is what I am looking for.  I mainly work things out be ear combined with Google for instruction videos and/or tab.  But I generally remember it better if I work it out by ear myself.

Thanks guys.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    I can certainly relate in some aspects. The number one thing that stops me learning a song is if I choose something that is WAY outside of my ability. I'm all for learning challenging pieces as it's a fantastic way of improving, however it's also important to hold your hands up and say "this isn't going to happen" and then come back to it when you are a better player (which is a very rewarding thing in its own right).

In terms of choosing songs, at the moment I'm going for songs that have a variety of aspects as apposed to just all chords or all lead playing. I've just finished learning 'Sir Duke' by Stevie Wonder, I didn't just learn the guitar parts but also the horn sections (very cool solo). So that song would be my recommendation to you. I've found that playing something on the guitar that was meant for another instrument is a great way of opening up my playing and adding a bit of variety to my overall ability.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    the digits of pi
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Freebird...  that should keep you going ;-)

If you fancy learning PW - go for it, there's enough interesting parts and variation to make it a useful exercise.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Thanks @John_P, Freebird sounds like a doable challenge.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

And for Parisienne Walkways, how do I get *that* bent string note to sustain for longer than a few seconds?  The late Gary Moore could hold that note for a very long time.  Any idea how he did it?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Rocker said:
    And for Parisienne Walkways, how do I get *that* bent string note to sustain for longer than a few seconds?  The late Gary Moore could hold that note for a very long time.  Any idea how he did it?
    Plenty of volume and finding the right spot on stage makes it very doable... there's a knack to helping a note sustain through vibrato but that straight sustain needs a cranked amp that's compressing the sound and feeding back to keep the note going.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    edited August 2014
    Sultans of Swing. You can play the whole song, both rhythm and lead. And even sing if you want to. You'll learn a lot about double stops and playing without a pick. You'll also have a complete performance which you can troll out when someone says "give us a song then"
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    I've never learned a single song the whole way through, I thought I was the only one. In fact I can barely even play any riffs of songs I like.  Nice to see it's not just me.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Juice by Vai - it's quite quick but very intuitive and 'guitaristic' if you know what I mean and quite easy really.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Roland said:
    Sultans of Swing. You can play the whole song, both rhythm and lead. And even sing if you want to. You'll learn a lot about double stops and playing without a pick. You'll also have a complete performance which you can troll out when someone says "give us a song then"
    This is a good project! small chunks then put it all together.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Completely agree with Sultans of Swing. It's the first song I tried to learn without a pick and although it takes time it is very rewarding. Then you can go into a guitar shop and try out guitars even when you don't have a pick :-)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301

"Hotel California" - there are enough parts there to keep you going, be they the solos, fills or chord work.

If you like "Parisienne Walkways", you could try "Still got the blues" or Santana's "Europa" - they're all very similar and I'm sure someone can confirm or correct me, but I think they're based on the Circle Of Fifths???

Thanks guys, away on small break now. Will look at Sultans and Still got the blues when I get home next week.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    I read that you're on your break, but some good play-along songs for the future include:

Marillion - Kayleigh (nice melodic patterns behind the vocals)

Spin Doctors - Two Princes (great solo) or Little Miss Can't Be Wrong

Ian Dury - Reasons to be Cheerful (Good for funk rhythm technique and also a great Guitar solo, learn the Sax solo too)

Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut (interesting chord structure and use of chord tones for the solo)

Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion (great riffing song)

Some of these might be a bit "left field" but they have enough diversity to cover a lot of ground.

:-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    There's a Peter Green/ Fleetwood Mac song called "I Loved Another Woman" which is pretty simple but I never tire of playing it. It's one of those basic 12 bars where you sing a line and play a fill on the guitar. But you can have a lot of fun thinking of variations.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited August 2014
    I was on the same boat and kept giving up when it got difficult. 
    A couple of reasonably easy songs I've mastered are 
     Dead or Alive Bon Jovi 
     Boys are back in town Lizzy 
    Both are much more straightforward than you might think and gave my confidence a boost, with that feeling of achievement at being able to play along right through the track...only downside is that to play along with Lizzy you have to tune down a semi tone......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll