I've got an audition on Wednesday!

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
At last, after 15 years of playing lol...!
The band currently consists of two singers, a bassist, drummer and rhythm guitarist. 
The songs are more pop-like but they're pretty good, to be honest! I'll try and throw in a rock song ;D
Can't wait, after all this time... just hope it goes well!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Knock 'em dead, Tiggs!
  • They're all older so I hopefully wont knock them dead ... haha! 
    Thanks :) Should be great - different from the usual 80s stuff I play (80s pop instead of 80s rock lol)
  • It went ok! Nightmare at first (see here: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/22885/tuning-stability-new-guitar) but they want to keep me on. Supposedly they had quite a lot of auditions before me. Songs are simple compared to what I usually play but there's the whole aspect of playing with the band now which is relatively new for me, so that's really the experience I'm going for. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good stuff - well done

Nothing like playing music with other people to help you get better.

• Thanks - here's to learning new skills..!
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Have another wow here for making the grade!

Now you're in, convince them that every one of their songs needs pterodactyl screams from your whammy bar, not enough of those in pop music anymore!
  • Hahaha, I'm sure that'll work well :D
    Maybe I'll just get a smoke machine going whenever I start a solo haha
  • Playing in a band re-prioritises everything for you. All or a sudden the super micro-tonal stuff gets dropped to last on the list because it either doesn't work with the song, or it can't be heard over the raging rhythm section.

And it really teaches you to listen to the other players to the point where you can predict what they are going to do next.

When you get a band together when everything can just go off on a mid song jam by the exchange of a few looks - and have it work musically - then that is a great band to be in.

Lessons are cool and home study is cool. But nothing improves musicianship like playing with other people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All good so far - 3 weeks in and 11 songs down! 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Congratulations. There is nothing like playing as part of a band. There are are times when I've looked across and thought "I'd pay good money to watch this band". For me the ultimate comment was Dave Gilmour, quoted in Guitarist a few years back, looking across the stage and thinking "Fuck, that's Paul McCartney". It doesn't matter who you are, or what level you play at, playing in a band is rewarding
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28329
    Awesome! Congratulations! I'd be envious if I were good enough myself
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    The hard part is turning round to 4 muso's who are better than you (ok, exception of singer and drummist), and saying "Just hold on lads, you are ALL playing that wrong". And being correct.

Well done tho chap.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • We all seem pretty good at saying when somebody's doing something wrong, thankfully!
    It's weird because all those hours spent doing modes and technical playing.. it just doesn't fir into this band! It's more pop covers (with the odd rock song) and using delay to emulate some keyboard sounds etc... and it sounds great! I've usually played rock songs with distortion but loving the sound of "clean" songs. 

Today was our 3rd practice... each week we do a 3 hour sesh until we have the songs down. So far there's something like 30 songs - I try to learn 2-3 per week. It was so embarrassing today as firstly we were doing "Maria" by Blondie and I screwed up the first 10 seconds... they all looked at each other and I thought "God, they think I'm shit and they've got a bad egg in the band" - after that it was ok, though! In fact, most things sounded amazing! One aspect I'll have to get down is the settings on all my pedals. I guess this is where a dedicated multi-FX comes in handy (programme the settings for each song) - very nit-picketty trying to get the right settings and then make sure that the levels are ok! DEFO need to improve on that. Will prob need to see about purchasing an amp.. unless my Roland Cube 30 can cut it (doubt it). 

The new PRS is a workhorse and I don't have to worry AT ALL about tuning or feedback or anything like that. Scary because it cost soooooooo much and I know it will get dinged, but it;s meant to be played! I want a second good guitar (selling my others as they wont cut it). So many good used options (PRS CE, American strat etc) - for the clean stuff a strat would go down really well... still loving the Suhr Pro S4. £1800+ though... and considering I potentially have to buy an amp ....... !

I said to them when I started that I can sing a bit - which is true... but I'm just going to leave that to our two singers ... got to be honest with myself! They have pretty good harmonies going and it'd be good to do Wanted Dead or Alive etc and sing at the same time but can't see it happening. 

Quite fancy doing some acoustic numbers... will mean having to get an acoustic pickup (not permanently mounted, though!) - but hopefully not an acoustic amp AS WELL!!

Anyway, it was funny because the first practise I felt ok. 2nd I felt like a shed demon in control of my guitar. Today sounded great but I didn't feel the technical mastery. Obviously need to keep practising - but "practise" is going to take a back seat to learning these songs and learning stagecraft... not looking at the fretboard all the time... getting a good guitar setup (pedals, volume etc) - I don't have reverb but do have a TC Flashback so can either put reverb on an amp or emulate through the flashback (again having to remember all these settings). I can see me having a little book with each song's setting written in... and a USB flashlight attached to it in case the stage is dark! Things I think I have to think on! Will have to rely on just memorising the songs as don't think a chord chart would look cool when playing live lol... 

Great to feel a part of something, and we're thinking about maybe meeting up for a coffee outside of practise. It's amazing all round. For next week I've 3 more songs to learn... 2 guitars potentially selling.. and a quest for a second guitar!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Keep your pedal settings simple. You don't want to be fiddling with them when you should be focusing on your playing and the overall band sound.  It's often better to miss out an effect, or go for an approximation, than to spend time and attention on dial settings.  The audience will be much more interested in your energy and contribution to the band than whether you nailed an effect setting like it is on the record.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Agreed on that! 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7772
    It's also worth remembering that the audience won't give a damn about almost all the minutiae of your playing - if you can start and finish in time, not get in the way of the vocal, and get familiar solos more or less right then you'll be ok.

If you think everybody noticed that you made a mistake, you'll soon find that unless you also knocked over a P.A. stack and scattered the two people dancing, no-one saw or heard a thing.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I have 4 pedals - Compressor, Overdrive, Delay, Volume (OK, and occasionally wah if needed). Clean sound on the amp, no channel switching. I learn all songs without capo and in standard tuning even if I'm playing slide. All so I can be ready for the next song quickly.
    I strongly recommend you get a mike stand & mic and rehearse singing BVs, it looks miles better (even if you're turned down!) and it takes some getting used to not being able to look look at your fretboard while you play.
  • We have two vox already but might be an idea.
    Need to decide on how much wattage from an amp is required as all I have is a Roland Cube 30..!
    Is it better to use a dist pedal as opposed to a footswitch? In that case is it better to buy a Fender amp (great cleans) and pile in your own distortion? E.g. what's the point buying a Marshall if you're only using its clean channel.....

My pedals : Boost, Distortion, Wah, Delay, Chorus (possibly not needed), Tuner.
  • BodBod Frets: 1298
    I want a second good guitar (selling my others as they wont cut it)
    Why?  My main gigging guitars are a Squier Strat and Tele, and a Vintage VS6 SG copy.  They're well set up and do the job perfectly.  
  • That's what I'm getting at - you have guitarS... I'm selling all mine other than the PRS so need a 2nd one :)