NGD and modded - Blizzard Pearl Fender Jaguar

What's Hot
ForgeForge Frets: 431
edited September 2014 in Guitar

So here's a lovely Blacktop Jag, a stonking little guitar to start with and modified as follows:

- Neck pickup: Gibson 490R with Alnico 4 magnet swap (DC resistance went from 7.81 to 8.11)

- Bridge pickup: DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary

- Controls: 2 on/off push switches added to split each pickup

This Blizzard Pearl  limited edition has a bound neck from the leftover Cobain Jaguar stock. It plays superbly well and sounds the part but I found the original pickups a bit sterile and more suited to heavy rock.  With the new pickups it absolutely roars, take fuzz superbly and has much more personality. Cleans and crunches are immensely better and the neck Alnico 4 is clearer than an Alnico 2 unit and extremely well balanced.

The split sounds are pretty good too, nowhere near a real Jag but glassy enough to clearly fall into Fender territory.

Next change: a set of 12s and down to D.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3338
    edited September 2014
    Absolutely fantastic guitars these, hugely playable and a guitar I genuinely regret selling. I moded mine to have a DiMarzio hs2 singlecoil in the neck. Only sold as my wife bought me the Cobain jaguar. I'll see if I can find a picture.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    That would be the fourth guitar of yours that I have wanted...
  • Niiiiiice :D

First time I've seen one with a stop tail and not recoiled, that looks really really sweet!
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Niiiiiice :D

First time I've seen one with a stop tail and not recoiled, that looks really really sweet!
    There will be a Bigsby at some point in the future...and this bound neck is pure awesomeness!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    Lovely Jag! Like a lot.

However, I'm not sure where a hard tail jag would fit? I always think of jags with trems

I guess it's just a very comfortable (physically) sort of SG territory machine?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    Lovely Jag! Like a lot.

However, I'm not sure where a hard tail jag would fit? I always think of jags with trems

But miles better looking and with a more comfortable shape and more chrome on the front of the guitar.  

I'd take that - I hate SG's to look at and play (despite owning one) but the sound is really cool.  This looks to be a solution!
    Gassage said:
    Lovely Jag! Like a lot.

But miles better looking and with a more comfortable shape and more chrome on the front of the guitar.  

I'd take that - I hate SG's to look at and play (despite owning one) but the sound is really cool.  This looks to be a solution!
    I think a Bigsby B5 would pimp it up nicely...and with 11s it would feel close to a SG but with it's proper neck shape and balance. I do have to get 12s and bring it down two tones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    ...and scale length is great too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I have seen one of these routed to take the proper trem and it looked brilliant.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited September 2014
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Identical necks on these two @grungebob

DGT coil split mod done and set up half step down with 11s, it keeps on getting better. Next mods will be the trem and maybe a d-tuner Definitely versatile and gig worthy.
    edited September 2014
    Forge;343410" said:
    Identical necks on these two @grungebob
    yep I measured with some digital calipers, except binding colour everything is identical, ignoring truss rod access of course.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Nice :D

I didn't realise magnets affected the DC resistance >:D<