What "other projects" are good instead of guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• that is something I would (and have) considered but it takes to long to travel to places worth photographing. I live in Birmingham...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    What do you do that you have so little time?
  • I work a lot of over the usual time at work, too much work and not enough time, so get home say 7pm, I'm cooking for over an hour most nights, by the time I've done that and sat still it's more or less time for bed. That's why I just would like something the equivalent of playing guitar that you can just pick up and put down to kill that last spare half hour or so you know? Does that make sense?
  • Cooking is your hobby by the sound of it! Shouldn't you be reading cook books? :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Ha no it's a pain in the arse but necessary, took the decision not to eat bad food a few years back because so many older members of my family have had food related illnesses, diabetes, throat and bowell cancers etc etc that I don' wish to join the "dead foodie club" too soon
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Photography is good...I bought a decent camera a few years ago on whim....you dont have to go far to get some arty pics.....Bham is a great pace for pics ! 

All round the canal area etc ..., 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I'd class drums as the latter...ba dum tish

Would agree with both but it needs to be something I can do myself at home, no reliable free time to attend anything external. Don't really care whether it's musical or not but it was posted here with music in mind yes
    Have you got a garden? Have you thought  of getting an allotment? 

I'm not much of a gardener, but I find that time spent doing garden chores goes quicker when I'm listening to music or podcasts on headphones. 

• I'm going to throw the Duolingo app out there, learning a new language is time consuming but this allows you to do it in 10-15 minute bursts. It's also fun to practice your ridiculous accent 

"Heeeermahno!"
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    Piano. 

Drawing.

Reading about things you don't know about.

Writing.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Get some decent MIDI sequencing software and a sound module (Or VST equivalent(s)) and compose music.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Build a wooden slot car track, invite mates round with beer, many a lost weekend/evening ;)
  • Ha interesting

I spent a whole 20 minutes earlier devising a very colourful spreadsheet, to detail the economics behind my planned independence proposition. It revolved around the four bottles of olive oil I seem to have amassed in my kitchen, and one olive oil flavoured one cal spray, and the fact I can be easily paid for in Jaffa cakes. It's a very good spreadsheet
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I'm... trying to find alternative projects....  What do you guys do or recommend?
    Well, in November it's nanowrimo time again.  Write a novel in a month.  With loads of other people. 

I've had a couple of stabs at it and never made it to the end of the marathon.  Maybe this year.

Enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way.

http://nanowrimo.org/

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited September 2014
    Grunfeld said:
    I'm... trying to find alternative projects....  What do you guys do or recommend?
    Well, in November it's nanowrimo time again.  Write a novel in a month.  With loads of other people. 

I've had a couple of stabs at it and never made it to the end of the marathon.  Maybe this year.

Enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way.

http://nanowrimo.org/

That sounds great but I start a masters from October so time will be very short, so need something more pick up and put down. Would love to do the novel thing though, thanks for making me aware of its existence
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    ipad music.

tons of apps, dead accessible, fast and surprisingly good. and, if you already have an ipad, cheap to get into. I got into a rut musically, and then got an ipad and starting amassing apps. Got really into synthesis, and the whole ipad music thing.

stimulating too. rekindled my musical mojo, such as it was.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Go to hobby craft. put your sounds on and make something ie Airfix or a mahoosive jigsaw. Chill!