Tell me your opinion on the Yamaha Superflighter....

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
I hadn't come across these 6 months ago but then tried one in a vintage shop. I really enjoyed it but not sure why its so much less compared to the SG models? Is it just that they aren't as popular?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I played one in a secondhand shop a while back it seemed like a really decent guitar, but it was badly in need of a refret which stopped me buying it.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    The set neck one is superb, the bolt on ones less so (but still good).
  • i just had a look on google images...they look really good. kind of like Junior version of the SG models...but better than junior version.

never played one, and never seen one in a shop...how much do they go for?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Am I right in thinking the 500 is bolt neck solid mohog and the 700/1000 are set neck with maple cap?

• Don't think they had a maple cap, or at least I have not seen one at all. Nice guitars, better balanced than the SG series.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I never liked them. I thought they were lumpy, slightly ungainly guitars that didn't sound very interesting. The bolt-on ones had a major problem with the neck pocket floor cracking as well, because it was too thin. Nowhere near the class, character or quality of the SG series in my opinion. (I admit they did balance better.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Sorry only just come across this.

I like them. A girl I fancied at school had an older brother who had the 1983 one that was neck thru body with a built in Distortion. I can't remember the model number, but the later ones look very different to the originals.

I did a gig supporting Six.By Seven about 8 years ago and their guitarist played a 60's SG with vibrola, but had a SuperFlighter as backup. It was like a white colour. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    2013 called - they'd like their thread back.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14037
    tFB Trader
    when they came out they were a lower priced guitar than the SG models - generally not a lower quality but less trimmings - thinner body, no maple top - Bit like comparing the quality of a Gibson SG to an LP - hence far cheaper to produce regarding materials and time spent on production but it does not make it an inferior guitar - but sales were far lower on the SF to SG - as per above comments the SF fixed neck models are a better option  to go for
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    A quick search notes there were also the SF-400, SF-600 and SF-1200 in later production years. The SF-1200 being a particularly grand thru-neck design mahogany body ash top, some alnico humbuckers and some coil taps. The overall body shape looks ideal, but do wonder about dive, since it was marketed as an SG killer.

The more you look into some of the Yamaha back catalogue, the more you'll find some real gems. I might be in a position to share such a gem if things go my way.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    I've tried a couple, really like them.  However, I'm skint so can't buy one I got offered.    Have a look at the yamaha Revstar series, theres one in there which is meant to be a very close replica of the sf.