Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dear Cover Bands......

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
Please can you refrain from including Get Lucky by Daft Punk in your set.

You may think that you've nailed it, but the reality is likely to be very different.

It exposes your bassist and drummer as white-boys-with-no-rhythm in a way that Wild Thing doesn't.

Your guitar player is a little over zealous with "the funk".

And your singer on the "we've come to far......" bit offers up excruciating high pitch notes that are not recognised in any known western scale.

Thanks in advance.

That's all
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    It's a deceptively hard song to play well. 

The bassline is Nathan East so you need to be pretty not at funk to nail it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • While we're on the subject, if I hear one more poor-to-middling rendition of 'Sex On Fire' I will actually set your sex on fire.

Regards,
    Ian

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Get off our case - we think it sounds great! Go in the Lounge Bar for 10 minutes and come back when we've done it.....
  • our version goes into a george benson esque jam. I think we do it ok..... 

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've begrudgingly played it on bass and guitar in a few bands. Never heard anyone nail the feel of that guitar part. Nile Rogers right hand is one of the wonders of the world.
  • Agreed about the high pitched vocals, it is very tricky to make this sound good (we've just started looking at it....apologies!). Giving a (not very secret, secret away) we end Get Lucky with it slowing down to just the bass line which drops seamlessly into Good Times/ Rappers Delight bass, the it all kicks off again with that song...and yes, the rap!
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    If I never hear a cover band play that or clap along again I won't miss em
    Really sick of both those tunes now ...... Oh and Ceelo greens forget you !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    This thread really should just say 'fuck off you suck' because I've literally *never* seen a good covers band.

Saw one band absolutely butcher Tool once. That was hilarious/depressing
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    Mmm I've seen plenty of great very well paid covers bands, I've dep,ed in them mixed sound for them and hired them myself
    But bands like that are typically 1.5 to 2k so your not gonna see em at the dog and duck
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I think there is a tendency to say "covers OMG sellout" among rock fans, but for people into folk, blues, or jazz it's more of playing from a cannon of music. Just because you didn't write it doesn't mean you can't play it with conviction. 

Plenty of covers are better than the origionals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I've no problem with covers bands. The band i saw earlier this week that triggered this thread did some Very respectable stuff, but Get Lucky is sooooo hard to pull off it reminded me that I've never heard a covers band do it justice.

Issue with cover bands can be that you can easily fall into the trap (I know because I've played in them) of thinking of all the songs that the audience would want to hear without due consideration for whether they play to the bands strengths or not. An audience doesn't want to hear Get Lucky at all costs.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Get Lucky is in our list of songs to try out, we've learned it and tried it last week ... it truly ain't easy to get it to sound good ...and it's so darn catchy yet repetitive that it has to sound good. We might abandon it.
  • Danny1969 said:
    If I never hear a cover band play that or clap along again I won't miss em
    Really sick of both those tunes now ...... Oh and Ceelo greens forget you !
    Yeah and i'd add Happy to that too, I never got why it was popular as its so bland!!!
  • Both Get Lucky and Happy sound good when we play them. Guess it comes down to the quality of the musicians you surround yourself with. It also helps that I don't approach my playing in the band from a Rock point of view anyway, if that makes sense.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited September 2014

I know what you mean D and "Guilty" m'lord! And also on "Happy", Bruno Mars' "Treasure" and "Locked out of heaven".

An innebriated crowd can be very forgiving and I'd give my right hand to have Nile Rodger's right hand!

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Danny1969 said:
    Mmm I've seen plenty of great very well paid covers bands, I've dep,ed in them mixed sound for them and hired them myself
    But bands like that are typically 1.5 to 2k so your not gonna see em at the dog and duck
    I don't drink in the dog and duck.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Superstition is another song regularly butchered.
  • jpfamps said:

usually played too fast, IMO, which kills the vibe of it.

• jpfamps said:

usually played too fast, IMO, which kills the vibe of it.
    Guilty as charged, but the original pace just sends people to sleep. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I've never heard Get lucky. I haven't followed chart music for a couple of decades now. I have to say that I'm intrigued though, I'll look it up when I get home from work.