Cracking the Code: Troy Grady's documentary on speed picking – a technique must-see!

What's Hot
DLMDLM Frets: 2513

This is old news in a way, a couple of forumites have posted videos from the series on here, but there hasn't been a thread dedicated to it yet:

http://troygrady.com/code/

We discussed Troy's original "famous fast pickers slowed down" videos years ago, perhaps even pre-MusicRadar(!).

He finally got it together and has begun releasing his huge project! The depth of analysis into the technique is incredible.

Who's watching it? What do you think?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good on the whole. But perhaps a little over-analysed in some places and padded with fluffy narratives in others, for my liking.
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I really liked it, pretty much watched the whole first series in one sitting, the guy is a monster picker for sure.
  • I can't do any of the stuff he shows off but I like what he's done. Entertaining and informative.

It's also a bit nostalgic as I was buying Guitar World when they had SRV articles and also read the Yngwie and Vinny Moore interviews.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    its interesting to see that level of technical breakdown of the yngwie superfast picking, would be nice to see an analysis of superfast pickers like john mclaughlin and al dimeola and others as well, to see if they have any 'tricks' like the finger sliding to maintain a note per string consistancy

i just saw a couple of the vids, he can't half talk .... it does feel a bit like a shopping channel or i'm being inducted into a pyramid scheme or something :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sted;355612" said:
    I really liked it, pretty much watched the whole first series in one sitting, the guy is a monster picker for sure.
    I watched it all in one night too. His teaching style is right up my street - I love the analysis and the graphics too. I'm chomping at the bit for episode 2.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• stedsted Frets: 259

sted;355612" said:
    I watched it all in one night too. His teaching style is right up my street - I love the analysis and the graphics too. I'm chomping at the bit for episode 2.

Think you have to pay now though? Understandable, clearly a lot of work goes into those vids.
  • sted said:

sted;355612" said:

Think you have to pay now though? Understandable, clearly a lot of work goes into those vids.
    I've subscribed - You get tabs for all the featured runs, archive packs (slowmo vids), performance notes and soundtrack packs as well as access to the episodes. You're right there's a shedload of work gone into it - and I've really enjoyed it too. Well worth the £18 imo. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Is it worthwhile then - is there some secret formula lol?
  • Is it worthwhile then - is there some secret formula lol?
    Yup

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Lol!! I'll watch some of his vids on youtube and see what he's all about..
  • So is the main concept "downward pick slanting"? I slant mine at a 45 degree angle to the strings, but not at an angle to the body (I don't think so anyway)
  • The 45 degree angle helps but isn't as important as slanting the pick at an angle to the the body. Downward pick slanting is vitally important but only works on even note per strings if you use strict alternate picking. Two way pick slanting is what he hasn't covered as much yet. The concept is that for alternate picking passages of notes that involve uneven numbers per string, you need to manufacture a way to change the slant of the pick from forward or back slanting in preparation for when you change the string you are playing. I've been working on that for a few weeks and I've been able to play things I've struggled with for 20 years. I think Troy should be brought here and knighted.
  • Hmmm... I played last night and it looks like I DO do downward pick slanting, with the 45 degree string slant - must have evolved naturally. BUT it doesn't mean I'm a fab picker - it's hit and miss. Interesting... so you have to literally slant it one way then another depending if it's even or odd hits on a string. Not sure I do that, would have to check. But for sure, I don't always play even hits on a string!! Honestly, I think it's just a case of practice and it all coming naturally....?
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, if you are backward pick slanting you will likely find the fastest you will play will be 6 notes per string licks. A prime example would be the flurry of notes on the b and e string at the end of the bark at the moon solo. You ideally need downward pick slanting to nail that cleanly. For two way pick slanting fire through a 3 note per string on all 6 strings starting on the low E. If you downward pick slant you won't be at the optimal angle to get over the string in-between the 3rd and 4th note, 9th and 10th note, 15th and 16th note. To avoid that on the way up I now pick forward slant,
    back slant, back slant (cross strings) back slant, forward slant, forward slant (cross strings) etc. I change the slant a note early to give myself plenty of time.
    Forward slant means I push through the string towards the guitar body on a downstroke. Backward slant means I push through the string away from the guitar body on a downstroke.
    Sounds complex but it really isn't. It took me about 6 hours to get.
  • Lol - got any vids? I posted one of mine in the Vai lick thread on this sub-forum.
    I'm sure if I analyse what I'm doing, I'll be doing the mixed slanting thing... but I still don't think it's the route to immediate gains - only hours of practice can give you that.
  • No vids from me whilst I'm moving house. I only get to play without an amp at the mo as I'm either putting the kids to bed or packing. I had an almost instant gain, as it got me out of a stumbling block, but to be fair, I did put 21 years in first. :)
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    The 45 degree slant aspect is a pretty significant finding for me. I could already pick fast but lacked smoothness and above all consistency. I could pull off some pretty damn terrifying licks in the comfort of my own home but they always took a few runs to warm up which is no good for gigging or adding them to your regular musical vulcabulary.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    I've heard of this before but only started putting the time in recently. I thought I could play fast but often I'd trip up over myself when string changing or really speeding up. I'm now taking things very very slowly. I'm a trailing edge picker to use Troy's terminology so I was already pick slanting anyway, but I didn't have much of a care about pick direction. I'm going so slow and trying to fix my picking that often I feel like I'm playing left-handed or that I've never played before. Hope there's a payoff down the line somewhere!
  • Would be great if you could report back in a month or so. It would be interesting to see how much you feel you improve
  • My picking has definitely improved but I'm not actively working on it right now. It's amazing I never thought about THAT angle before, though... amazing!!