Ed Boyd/flook style playing

VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
edited September 2014 in Technique

some help here please if anyone is able, just joined a folk orchestra who play a lot of dance tunes (mostly English, but a reel's a reel, a jig's a jig etc.) and it turns out I'm about the only person there who is happy playing rhythm so I've been trying to get my chops up to scratch. Been listening through some stuff on youtube and a name that keeps popping up is Ed Boyd and I've been really, seriously jaw droppingly impressed with his strong, driving style (which was something the band leader said last night, that she wants more oomph) so was wondering if anyone could point me towards a good resource to learning this kind of driving style he does?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Haven't seen Flook! live for a few years, but yes they are indeed fantastic. I've never really played any of their stuff but I did a guitar workshop at a folk fest a few years ago that covered a similar style, mostly in DADGAD to get those celtic sounding chords (pretty simple fingering really and just moving shapes up and down the neck which allows you to get that real driving strumming style going) 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    yeah, the chords are pretty simple, it's all in the right hand (waheeey), I kinda guessed it was in DADGAD, thanks that gives me somewhere to start looking.

• Sitting here sniffling, feeling sorry for myself and googling about this. John Doyle has a cd-book and a DVD and, I gather, he has a similar style to Ed, although in drop D rather than DADGAD. EDIT: amazon have one copy left of his Irish Rhythm Guitar DVD. That's as much as I could find.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    thanks Eric, I did see that book so may give it a punt.

• Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.