The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    bobblehat said:
    Fretwired said:
    Bottas to Mercedes, Lowe from Mercedes to Williams plus £14 million in cash for car development and it looks like Massa could be back.
    I thought we'd got rid of Massa for good :( 
    He's F*****g hopeless.
    He wasn't on top form last season but he's hardly hopeless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    bobblehat said:
    Fretwired said:
    Bottas to Mercedes, Lowe from Mercedes to Williams plus £14 million in cash for car development and it looks like Massa could be back.
    I thought we'd got rid of Massa for good :( 
    He's F*****g hopeless.
    I think Williams are looking for one year only - a lot of quality drivers are out of contract in 2017 so if they get £14 million by not having to pay for engines they can maybe develop a competitive car and attract a big name driver for 2018. The team went backwards in 2016.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23966
    Massa has never driven again like he drove for Ferrari in the year that never was.

He's still a very competent driver and a safe pair of hands though.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    <Engaging smug mode>
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    So in the least imaginitive end to a surprise silly season, Massa is confirmed as back in at Williams and Wehrlein still at the back of the grid only with Sauber instead of Manor. 

I can't blame anyone involved for making the decisions they've made but you just wish *one* of them had done something more interesting.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-returns-to-f1-as-bottas-replacement-865853/

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wehrlein-confirmed-at-sauber-for-2017-f1-season-865846/
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Sensible decision from Williams. The extra cash (engine discount) will be put into car development which will push them to the front  of the grid (hopefully) just in time for some of the top drivers contracts to expire.

Fretwired said:
    Sensible decision from Williams. The extra cash (engine discount) will be put into car development which will push them to the front  of the grid (hopefully) just in time for some of the top drivers contracts to expire.
    Absolutely. Worth also bearing in mind that the removal of the token system the Merc engine could actually be even further in front next year than it has been. 

And Bottas now official. Hope he keeps Hamilton honest. Maybe he'll beat him. Looking forward to Australia either way!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mercedes-confirms-bottas-as-hamilton-s-teammate-865891/

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I'd have tried to snag Button over Massa, at least Jenson has decent racecraft and a bit of fire left in him
    sweepy said:
    I'd have tried to snag Button over Massa, at least Jenson has decent racecraft and a bit of fire left in him
    Jenson wasn't interested .. he wants to do something else while he can still race.

Fretwired said:
    sweepy said:
    Jenson wasn't interested .. he wants to do something else while he can still race.
    Also, Williams are very keen to get a benchmark for both Stroll and the new car. If they had 2 new drivers they wouldn't be able to tell whether any step forward or back was down to the new aero, new engine or new drivers. 
    Bottas gets a one year contract as Woolf eyes some top names whose contracts run out .... hardly a glowing endorsement. Hamilton to win 2017 WC.

Fretwired said:
    Bottas gets a one year contract as Woolf eyes some top names whose contracts run out .... hardly a glowing endorsement. 
    He's got less charisma than Kimi, hardly surprising really. They'll sign one of the real superstars when they're out of contract at the end of this season. Bottas will be competent but won't trouble Lewis on pace that much, but I guess that's the point; he's an ideal number 2 driver. 
    edited January 2017
    boogieman said:
    Fretwired said:
    Bottas gets a one year contract as Woolf eyes some top names whose contracts run out .... hardly a glowing endorsement. 
    He's got less charisma than Kimi, hardly surprising really. They'll sign one of the real superstars when they're out of contract at the end of this season. Bottas will be competent but won't trouble Lewis on pace that much, but I guess that's the point; he's an ideal number 2 driver. 
    I'm sure Bottas will do well and win races, but I doubt they'd have offered a longer contract to anybody except Vettel and Alonso - why would they when you have those guys and Kimi and Hamilton (and Ricciardo?) all out of contract at the end of 2017, meaning *everyone* is going to try and get into the best car after this set of rule changes. It's going to be open season and that means they want options. It's not like Bottas has *anything* to use as leverage in a negotiation. I think he'll be close behind but definitely not in front of Ham in the championship, Ham will leave and Alonso will end up at Merc (with Bottas) in 2018.

Equally, it might give Bottas the opportunity to jump to McLaren or Ferrari if they've made big (if unlikely) steps forward with their new cars and the Merc turns out to be fighting for 3rd/4th behind the Red Bulls and either Mclaren or Ferrari this year. I don't know, but i'm not entirely surprised by the decision
    The rumour mill is at work again .. big changes in F1 when the Liberty Media takeover has been completed. The firm is concerned that:
    • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful
    • There is a lack of competition on track
    • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets because of pay TV
    • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
    • The decision-making process is not working properly
    • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons
    • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge
    Looks like Bernie could be gone by next week. F1 could become worth watching again if these issues can be sorted.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    The rumour mill is at work again .. big changes in F1 when the Liberty Media takeover has been completed. The firm is concerned that:
    • The revenue system is skewed in favour of the already rich and powerful
    • There is a lack of competition on track
    • Television audience figures are dropping in many markets because of pay TV
    • The longest-standing races are struggling to fund themselves and risk dropping off the calendar
    • The decision-making process is not working properly
    • Some significant business and sporting decisions have been made for solely financial reasons
    • An acceptance that F1 has lost some of its appeal, edge and drama and as an extreme driver challenge
    Looks like Bernie could be gone by next week. F1 could become worth watching again if these issues can be sorted.

Bernie is definitely going to have to go for most of that to work (and let's hope it does). He's always seemed intent on lining his own pockets at the expense of the sport. I loathe the little shit. 
    edited January 2017
    If they fix even half of those it'll go a long way. They're clearly looking at the US model of "sportsertanment" where they've realised that no-one gets to play unless there are healthy, well-funded opponents to play against. 

Other mutterings are that McLaren are going back to orange for this year's livery - Zak Brown's way of sending a clear signal of change. 

And Wherein almost landed on his head at the Race of Champions (vid below) leaving Seb to represent Germany on his own against the rest of the world. He still won...

(I also have huge admiration for Massa - although nothing new - for the way he instantly stopped his own car and ran over to check Pascal was ok. Top bloke.)

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

Bernie booted...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38723001

Appointed 'chairman emeritus' - a token gesture to appear grateful to him while removing his power.

Thank fuck he's out of it.

Next step should be to tell Ferrari to race without the $100m handout or fuck off. Greedy fuckers.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

edited January 2017
    And Brawn confirmed as in for sporting & technical stuff - "Managing Director, Motorsports". We might actually see a level playing field at last. High hopes for the next few years.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ross-brawn-lands-key-role-in-new-look-f1-structure-868065/
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    It is a level playing field.  Nothing but technical development that creates the performance imbalance.  Of course it's driven by money but the big brands will always have more money available to them.  The more limits you impose the further from formula one you get and it's closer to GP2 "+".

I'd like to see all the drivers in equal equipment, but that's not what f1 is about.

This is one of those "be careful what you wish for" things.

F1 can't please everyone, but I also think they can't please a typical average fan either.  Most don't know what they want or if they do it's contradictory.
    sinbaadi said:
    It is a level playing field. Nothing but technical development that creates the performance imbalance.  Of course it's driven by money but the big brands will always have more money available to them.  The more limits you impose the further from formula one you get and it's closer to GP2 "+".

I'd like to see all the drivers in equal equipment, but that's not what f1 is about.

This is one of those "be careful what you wish for" things.

F1 can't please everyone, but I also think they can't please a typical average fan either.  Most don't know what they want or if they do it's contradictory.
    Yes, except not really. In 2010 the new guys all joined with the promise of budget caps and the potential to at least survive on a budget under $100m. That rug was swiftly pulled out from under them with the new engines which they *have* to use, at extortionate cost. The result is 3 dead teams (I'm assuming Manor won't manage *another* last minute save) and Sauber have been right on the edge for years. 

Obviously noone wants a spec series, but to have the possibility of the little guy getting a result is essential for any sport. Everyone knows Ipswich Town always has a chance to put a goal or two past Chelsea in the FA Cup so the match is exciting, even though we all know it'll be a thrashing 19 times in 20. Since higher reliability became a thing F1 doesn't have that element, which is a shame.

All the big teams get colossal payments because of their past results, which guarantees they will stay at the top. Ferrari alone get almost as much as Manor, Sauber, Toro Rosso and Renault. That's just daft.