The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited April 2017
    I can't imagine there's anyone else with a superlicence that they'd rather have. I don't know how Button's contract is drafted in terms of notice periods and who has what options and obligations in case of absence of another driver, but he already lives there, so it's not exactly a hardship. He'll probably only have to drive half the race anyway... ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I can't imagine there's anyone else with a superlicence that they'd rather have. I don't know how Button's contract is drafted in terms of notice periods and who has what options and obligations in case of absence of another driver, but he already lives there, so it's not exactly a hardship. He'll probably only have to drive half the race anyway... ;)

He'd be quicker on his triathlon Bike ... more reliable too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Not sure McL have too many choices other than to draft Button in... Guitierrez or Nasr maybe, but why would they? Be good to see Jenson back anyway.

Overall I think this is a good news story for F1. Unless you had Monaco tickets and were hoping to see Alonso there...
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    NickL said:
    It would be great to see Alonso try Le Mans as well. Force India gave Hulkenberg time off to do it a couple of years ago and he won, and apparently several other F1 drivers were keen to have a go.

Then there's the question of who gets to drive the McLaren at Monaco. Is Button up for it, or do they have someone else waiting in the wings?
    Alonso said he is aiming for the triple crown, maybe next year he'll do Indycars and WEC simultaneously.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Highly unlikely that he'll win it, they don't mess about on the ovals and experience counts for a lot.  His natural talent may only help him so much.  He'll certainly qualify the car well.

It's great that he is doing it though.  I have always disliked the way f1 drivers are so rarely allowed to do anything else at all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    Given that Monaco if any track probably leans toward such strengths as McLaren have, I'd laugh myself silly if Button jumps in and scores more championship points in one race than either other McLaren driver in the season :-)  
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    TimmyO said:
    Given that Monaco if any track probably leans toward such strengths as McLaren have, I'd laugh myself silly if Button jumps in and scores more championship points in one race than either other McLaren driver in the season :-)  
    Its certainly not impossible!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Hamilton was saying his car is so long he doesn't know how it'll get round Monaco
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    DesVegas said:
    Hamilton was saying his car is so long he doesn't know how it'll get round Monaco
    I've heard that's a myth
    My V key is broken
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Button back for Monaco... it's official!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    No comments on quali?!!! Bottas did amazingly well in his third Merc quali, Lewis appears to be struggling a bit in Bahrain surprisingly however I suspect he'll finish ahead of Bottas in the race. Ferrari further away than expected and Red Bull have closed the gap too. Should be an interesting race especially if Mercs tyre wear is higher than the others in the hotter early part of the race as expected. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    edited April 2017
    And well done to the Renault boys from  Enstone, maybe they are gettting it together 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Hamilton made two mistakes at a time when the track was getting faster .. the margin wasn't that great.. Bottas did a great job but he's no Lewis Hamilton The Ferrari is more forgiving on tyres so I still fancy Vettel  in the race .. I wonder when Toto plays team orders? Word in the paddock is Vestappen is Toto's target for 2018.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Yeah I forgot about them, Hulkenberg did a fab job especially. Grosjean and Wehrlein too

Fretwired said:
    Hamilton made two mistakes at a time when the track was getting faster .. the margin wasn't that great.. Bottas did a great job but he's no Lewis Hamilton The Ferrari is more forgiving on tyres so I still fancy Vettel  in the race .. I wonder when Toto plays team orders? Word in the paddock is Vestappen is Toto's target for 2018.
    Yeah all things being equal, Lewis and Alonso are the class of the field with Verstappen about to join them. Vettel is a close second. Bottas is certainly no match for them, would love Max or Fernando in the same team as Lewis next season.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Boromedic said:
    Fretwired said:
    Yeah all things being equal, Lewis and Alonso are the class of the field with Verstappen about to join them. Vettel is a close second. Bottas is certainly no match for them, would love Max or Fernando in the same team as Lewis next season.
    Toto prefers two drivers who will push each other .. I doubt Alonso will join Mercedes as he's too old. I suspect a contract extension for Hamilton and a fast young gun like Vestappen who could become number one would be an ideal line up. Horner looked downbeat .. Renault are getting their act together and could pose Red Bull problems especially if they get engine upgrades before Red Bull. Vestappen won't want to hang about driving for Red Bull if the team follows the likes of Williams into the mid-field.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited April 2017
    Not a bad race. 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Alonso is pur comedy gold, his reaction to the pit crew on the radio was perfect " do whatever you want" ;)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    So Max will be looking for a new team for sure  if the red bull form continues like this.