Looking for some Jazz Bass pickup recommendations

What's Hot
SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 698
edited August 2023 in Bass
Hi, guys - I have a lovely old Tokai JB from about 1983 which has an amazing unplugged tone, but the pickups seem weak and are I suspect the instrument's Achilles heel. I'd like to put in some pickups that really do the thing justice but am not very conversant with bass pickups on the whole; I want to stay with passives, so what would people recommend (bearing in mind that I'm on pennies above minimum wage, so the sort of hand-wound-by-elves-on-the-slopes-of-Mount-Fuji-on-the-Spring-equinox ultra boutique stuff won't be affordable for me) as pickups to get the most out of a Jazz Bass? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    edited August 2023
    DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pair for fingerstyle Rock playing. Area J pair for more traditional sounds.

Don't be afraid to try active pickups and/or control electronics. Duncan Lightnin' Rods sound and feel pretty darned close to passives. 

EMG makes several J variants. Counter-intuitively, the blade polepiece and ceramic magnet -J model sounds more believably "vintage" than the -JV model with exposed alnico rod magnet polepieces.

I am especially fond of the long-discontinued Duncan Active EQ series pickups - the ones with the little DIP switches. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I put Dimarzio Area J pickups in my jazz and really like them. 

Think they cost me about £100 second hand. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    EMG J set. Lovely things. Designed to be like 1960s pickups without the hum.

Bobby Vega can’t be wrong!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Duncan Hot Jazz Stacks. Passive, but fatter sound and no noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I’m also the owner of an 83 Tokai Jazz Bass and I would say there is nothing inherently wrong with those pickups that a good amp or preamp cannot resolve. My advice would be keep your money in your pocket.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I have a set of Fender Custom Shop 60’s Jazz pickups for sale, advertised over on BassChat. They are really nice pickups. I’m selling because I sold the bass they were in and bought a vintage Jazz.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the ideas, guys - will mull this over and have a think. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    With the rise in cost of Duncan, etc. I'd recommend looking at Tonerider. I have no experience of their Jazz pickups but the Tonerider Precision pickup I have in my Squier is excellent. The Tele set I have are great too.

Northwest Guitars is where I bought from - good prices and service.
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    I have a mid 80s Tokai JB and agree re the pickups. The inherent tone unplugged is lovely. I’ve never got round to changing them but they are a weak point IMO. 
    There’s usually something worthwhile advertised in accessories on Basschat and it is an excellent and trustworthy community in my experience. Fender CS, Seymour Duncan etc. All would be an upgrade. Second hand means no depreciation and little risk if you don’t like them.
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 245
    Hi, guys - I have a lovely old Tokai JB from about 1983 which has an amazing unplugged tone, but the pickups seem weak and are I suspect the instrument's Achilles heel. I'd like to put in some pickups that really do the thing justice but am not very conversant with bass pickups on the whole; I want to stay with passives, so what would people recommend (bearing in mind that I'm on pennies above minimum wage, so the sort of hand-wound-by-elves-on-the-slopes-of-Mount-Fuji-on-the-Spring-equinox ultra boutique stuff won't be affordable for me) as pickups to get the most out of a Jazz Bass? 
    I may have a set of Area Js lying around if you end up being interested in them - let me know, I wouldn't be after much for them. 
  • nacnudnainacnudnai Frets: 245
    nacnudnai said:
    I may have a set of Area Js lying around if you end up being interested in them - let me know, I wouldn't be after much for them. 
    I do indeed have a set of Area Js lying around. Cases are a little scuffed, so I'd be happy with £75 the set posted.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • definitely check out eternal guitar and pickups, Dave hand winds some of the best pups ive tried, ive got a pair of his fat vintage style J bass ones in my 80s fender 62 reissue that had the same weaknesses as your tokai probably does

https://www.eternal-guitars.com/product-page/jb-64-jazz-bass-pickup
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I've got an early 80's Tokai Jazz Sound  too which I want to breath a bit of life in to. Might try new pickups so I'll be interested how you get on. I'm going to put some new strings on first though. I can't remember the last time I change them - possibly some time in the 90's!!!
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14428
    ewal said:
    I can't remember the last time I change them - possibly some time in the 90's!!!
    Squanderbug! ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4923
    I put a set of Fender Geddys on a Jazz parts build of mine and I don't think I'll be changing them.
    I'm thinking again about a pickup upgrade for my Tokai JB. I'm intrigued by the Mojo Bones Jazz Bass pickups, Mojo having such a a good reputation. I wonder how his budget range stacks up? It's likely to be very good and at that price - very tempting.

https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product/the-bones-jazzbass/
    Curiosity got the better of me Mojo Bones ordered.
  • SvartmetallSvartmetall Frets: 698
    ewal said:
    Curiosity got the better of me Mojo Bones ordered.
    Damn, I'd forgotten about this...let us know how they are :)
    So I fitted the Mojo Bones yesterday evening. No surprises - they are very good - exactly the JB sound I had in my head.

I've got a push/ pull pot fitted to switch between parallel and series, so lots of different tonal options.