Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How many of you take spares to a gig?

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
I'm talking about guitars/amps/power supplies etc... Used to think I would take a second guitar but really, I don't think I will be...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Spare Guitar & amp - when you had a string break mid number (with locking tuners), and an amp go pop, you will too ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Had to use my spare guitar on last night's gig, so yes. I have something I can play through into the PA in amp emergencies. Plus strings, spare strap,etc.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In my experience it's always worth taking a spare drummer in case your one get's distracted by sparkly things in the room.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

For the big money stuff I've got everything, Spare pre amp, spare power amp, spare effects, we even carry a spare mixing desk in case that goes down. When you and they sign  the contract your committed to fulling the gig no matter what breaks down.
    For pub gigs I've got a GT10 I could put through the PA if my amp died and the normal spare guitars, strings, leads and tools. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Sparkly things lol!?

Spare guitar AND amp!? Even to something like a pub gig? 
    Can't you just switch to a song that needs no guitar and change your string in that time lol?

Spare strap, really!?
  • I take spare Guitar, Micro terror, POD xt, Strings, Capo, Cables, Microphones. Kettle Leads. 1000s of gigs teaches you, if it can break, it will. Brides just love it when when you stop to replace a string 2 songs into a set.  
    You can listen, or not ...... 

(I used to take wire cutters, a penknife and soldering iron for cables - I just take spare cables now, the OCD has eased a bit ;) )

Feedback
  • Wow, what an eye-opener...!! Looks like I'm not done spending :o Hardly know how I'll fit everything in the car!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I have a bag of spare bits and a strap is in there, but I have seen a strap break on a gig. Most likely thing to go wrong with a guitar is break a string. How quick can you replace this and get back in tune? Probably not as quick as swapping guitars.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396
    I take spare Guitar, Micro terror, POD xt, Strings, Capo, Cables, Microphones. Kettle Leads. 1000s of gigs teaches you, if it can break, it will. Brides just love it when when you stop to replace a string 2 songs into a set.  
    Ain't that the truth, changing a string just isn't an option no matter how quick you are
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2014
    I hadn't planned on taking both my new PRS (one as backup) to a gig but I'd rather that than  keep the Torero and use that as a spare. Looks like maybe that'll be the plan. Amp-wise... if I take the Blackstar I guess the Cube could go in the boot. FX... if my pedal-board craps out I can rely on the amp FX and hope that's enough. 
  • Do you leave the second guitar on some sort of stand waiting to be used or in a case on stage?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    For local gigs I never take spare gear - just strings, valves, fuses and tools, an extra cable, and one separate pedal as a last-ditch into-to-the-PA solution if everything else has gone down. Taking too much stuff just increases the chance of something getting broken or stolen.

Part of the trick is to only use reliable gear in the first place. OK, I have a slight advantage there because I tend to see what breaks, as my job on a daily basis, and either know how to make it reliable or just not use it.

For more professional gigs I would take a spare guitar, maybe a spare amp - though preferably not a whole combo if I could avoid it - and anything else critical, plus whatever is necessary to hook it up quickly, and try it out beforehand! You don't want to be messing about trying to work out how to connect things in an emergency.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    edited October 2014
    I can usually change a broken string in a minute or two, so for local-ish gigs I just take a spare set of strings.

I do have spares for all my leads, a spare power supply, a few patch leads and a toolkit with pliers, allen keys, screwdrivers, Sinex (really) and a couple of spare preamp valves. I also tend to take a couple of spare mics (one vocal mic in case the singer forgets hers - quite a frequent occurrence - and a Superlux PRA628 in case the sound guy's mic for my cab is really crap).

For bigger/further away gigs, I'll take a spare guitar and spare amp as well.
    <space for hire>
    edited October 2014
    Just get an MXR Micro Amp/EHX 44 or a "shoulder bag" head you can hotwire to your combo speaker, don't lug a spare combo - that'd be silly.

Spare guitar - that's trickier - if it's a rough place or you're uncomfortable, then tucked up in its case hidden behind the backline, otherwise on a sturdy floor stand ready to grab in an instant.  If paranoia become too strong - get a s/h PRS SE.

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2014
    I'll have to figure out how to wire a spare head into my Blackstar's speaker (evidently the two speaker outs then lol - but as this will bypass everything else in the amp I'd best hope my amp AND pedalboard don't break else I'll have no effects). That might be a plan, then. Jal, I've never seen those things in my life - I thought you meant something like a mini head (e.g. orange micro or whatever) - what are the main differences between something like that and what you've just recommended? 

As a backup the Torero might be ok but I'm still not keen on Floyd & EMGs which is a bummer. Could keep it as a spare but also wanted to offload it to recoup some of the cost of the new guitars. An SE might even be preferable as jal suggests. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I wouldn't gig without a backup (or two) for everything.   Minimum of 2 guitars but if it's an important gig - someones' wedding, or somewhere you want to impress people then I'd take 3.   There's been many times over the years I've grabbed the spare guitar and snapped a string on that as well.    Not common but I don't wan to let people down waiting for me to fix it.

I don't always take a spare amp - I run my pedalboard and amp so I could finish a set with just one of them if the other dies and then have a dg stomp in my bag any case both break (but any pod type thing will do).

Obvious other things - spare strap, spare strings, spare cable sat waiting to use, space mic, more spare cables etc etc.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    I would never rely on an EH Magnum as a backup, it's likely to be less reliable than the amp which it has to replace, and then you're really stuffed if it goes down. Make sure that whatever you choose is known to be as close to totally bombproof as humanly possible - mine is an old Peavey PA head.

I wouldn't worry at all about gigging with a Blackstar ID - I haven't heard of a single case of one breaking in use yet, and at least a few I know are in the most demanding possible environment, in rehearsal studios.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'll have to figure out how to wire a spare head into my Blackstar's speaker (evidently the two speaker outs then lol - but as this will bypass everything else in the amp I'd best hope my amp AND pedalboard don't break else I'll have no effects). That might be a plan, then. Jal, I've never seen those things in my life - I thought you meant something like a mini head (e.g. orange micro or whatever) - what are the main differences between something like that and what you've just recommended?
    Dunno - I take a spare head, have used speaker cabs rather than a combo for a while (lot lighter to shift).

As a backup the Torero might be ok but I'm still not keen on Floyd & EMGs which is a bummer.
    So roll it over and get something else then.

Feedback
  • So... recommendations for a spare head? 
    I agree head & cab would be lighter - hence me initially looking at the Matrix amp and cabs. 

Might well get something instead of the Torero.