Which Small Monitors?

What's Hot

Seeking suggestions for small active monitors for music use on the computer. Not too pricey - about 100 quid or so for a pair. Space is restricted, so I'm looking for something compact to go either side of the computer screen.

Some words about current setup and typical use...

I'm using what were originally just the computer speakers - some cheapie Labtec 2.1 things. Headphones are Beyerdynamic DT150s. Computer audio goes through a Behringer X1622 mixer. Headphones are plugged into the mixer's headphone socket, and mixer Monitor Out goes to a switchbox that toggles between the computer speakers and the main hi-fi system. The hi-fi system is elsewhere in the room and off-axis when I'm at the computer.

The computer speakers are mainly used for general computer stuff like games, watching F1, and for casual listening to music. They're shite even for things like listening to YouTube reviews of music gear like instruments and effects - I either have to turn up the upper mid and treble, or just switch to the headphones. For listening to my own music recordings, they're hopeless.

The headphones (and hi-fi) show the Labtecs up quite badly - they're dull, middly, and have no attack. Better clarity is the main thing I'm after, and decent low end would be good (the Labtec sub is passable for non-critical playback). I have no experience with these little monitors - is it worth considering some sort of subwoofer?

I'm not looking for much more than self-powered monitors with a master volume control. No USB, Bluetooth, iThing input, headphone output, alarm clock, coffee making system, etc. Something available at Red Dog would be handy because I have a chance to give them the once-over before buying...

http://www.reddogmusic.co.uk/catalog/studio-monitors/active-studio-monitors?order=lowtohigh

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited October 2014

Yamaha HS7 monitors are surprisingly good..

only £300 squid the pair.. which is not bad at all...

play every note as if it were your first
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I was going to post exactly the same question.

Currently have an aging 2006 iMac with my Yamaha Pacifica plugged into a Lexicon Aplha USB audio interface. Speaker setup is one of those Altec Lansing PC speaker jobbies, 2 treble, bass box which is amped via one of the treble speakers. Problem for me is I have to use USB for audio out as the 3.5mm jack is broken.
     I used to have a Cambridge Audio amp somewhere but speakers and a setup for a guitar are a mystery to me. Any pointers?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I (after Clarky's HS7 advice) boutgh the Yamaha HS5s a couple of weeks ago. The 7s would have been too big for my desp space.

Now that I've had a bit of time with them I can honestly say that they are really good. Very neutral, well balanced and a good compact size. No sounds frequncies seem overdone either, so you get a useful open uncoloured sound. Took them out fo the boxes, plugged in and altered nothing, they sound bang on. £235 for the pair. Ace.

Awesome value for money that…
    I reckon you'd have to spend quite a lot more to get a noticeable step up..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    Equator D5. I couldn't find anything in the price range I liked more than those. 

Only got rid of mine because I was able to have a big upgrade.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Everybody seems to be suggesting dearer options. Should I conclude that the ones for around 100 quid new aren't up to scratch?

Nomad

I personally think it's a false economy..
    you'll end up wanting / needing to change them for something better at some point..
    go for the best / most suitable monitors you can afford..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • At that price, I think you're looking at a pair of hifi speakers really, either with their own amp or maybe your hifi has a switchable second set of speaker outs? Decnt sounding hifi separates can be picked up really cheap secondhand.

Is moving your current hifi speakers to either side of the computer out of the question?
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

I'm afraid moving the hi-fi at all is out of the question. It's an L-shaped room, with the computer/desk area in the smaller part of the L, and the hi-fi facing into the main part. Adding a second set of speakers to it is also a no-go - it's a tri-amped setup with an active crossover and a digital GEQ to get the bass into some semblance of balance with the room. At best, I could use one of the tape-outs on the pre-amp to route to a separate power amp and speakers, but there would be no point since the output from the mixer goes to a switch box that routes between the computer speakers or hi-fi anyway.

I do have a spare Cyrus 25wpc amp, so maybe passive speakers are worth looking into after all.

Nomad

• Nomad said:

I do have a spare Cyrus 25wpc amp, so maybe passive speakers are worth looking into after all.

I think that amp with a decent pair of small speakers will serve you better than a £100 pair of powered monitors.

I do all my mixing in my home 'studio' through hifi speakers/amp. I think room acoustics make a far bigger difference than the difference between hifi speakers/studio monitors when it comes down to it, anyway.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Nomad said:

I think that amp with a decent pair of small speakers will serve you better than a £100 pair of powered monitors.

I do all my mixing in my home 'studio' through hifi speakers/amp. I think room acoustics make a far bigger difference than the difference between hifi speakers/studio monitors when it comes down to it, anyway.
    +1   and I think there is a lot to be said for being really familiar with a pair of speakers.

You've got a nice amp so I'd grab some passive speakers and listen to a lot of music through them. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    edited September 2015

Thread resurrection time!!!

I'm looking at getting some small monitors for my flat to pair up with an incoming Helix. The room they'll be in is far from optimal for "perfect" listening, but I don't have any choice so I'm not expecting perfection.

Budget is pretty flexible (relatively), but I'd prefer to stay under £400. I've already heard the Helix through Yamaha HS8s and was impressed by them, but I've not yet tried the HS5s listed above by @Clarky and @Snap. The main options that I've been looking at are;

• Yamaha HS5 or 7s
    • KRK G3 RP5 or 6s
    • Genelec 8010s

The Genelecs in particular are appealing because they're very compact and space is a premium in my flat, however they don't seem to have the range of the other too in the low-end. I'll be playing guitar, bass, and acoustics through them, plus backing tracks etc and music ideally. Any thoughts?

*edit* Found some great comments in here, the Yamahas are looking like a good choice.

• HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015

Thread resurrection time!!!

I'm looking at getting some small monitors for my flat to pair up with an incoming Helix. The room they'll be in is far from optimal for "perfect" listening, but I don't have any choice so I'm not expecting perfection.

Budget is pretty flexible (relatively), but I'd prefer to stay under £400. I've already heard the Helix through Yamaha HS8s and was impressed by them, but I've not yet tried the HS5s listed above by @Clarky and @Snap. The main options that I've been looking at are;

• Yamaha HS5 or 7s
    • KRK G3 RP5 or 6s
    • Genelec 8010s

The Genelecs in particular are appealing because they're very compact and space is a premium in my flat, however they don't seem to have the range of the other too in the low-end. I'll be playing guitar, bass, and acoustics through them, plus backing tracks etc and music ideally. Any thoughts?

*edit* Found some great comments in here, the Yamahas are looking like a good choice.

I would steer clear of the KRKs

The Equator D5s are great of their size and price. Pretty accurate. I got good results with them before upgrading.
    I had KRKs before that and they always annoyed me with inconsistent bass.
    Genelecs should be a good option.
    Never tried the Yamahas myself.

I think room acoustics make a far bigger difference than the difference between hifi speakers/studio monitors when it comes down to it, anyway.
    my experience would beg to differ. For years I mixed on hifi amp and speakers, thinking it was perfectly good enough. Then I moved to the HS5s. Light and day difference, really is. The hifi (which is perfectly good enough too, as a hi fi) sounds thick and compressed, almost flabby, in comparison.

I hate the use of words like "revealing" and "fast tight bass" (jesus!), but honestly, you can hear so much more on the monitors. Just a far more precise listen. You get a far more accurate portrayal of the mix - every little mistake or wrong level is there plain as day.

Hi fi amps and speakers are far more forgiving, and by their very nature give a more comfortable listen, as that's what they are designed for.

I struggled to believe that there would be an audible difference, after all, amps and speakers, if they are good enough, how could there be such a difference? But there is, for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Still enjoying the HS5s then @Snap? I'm wondering if I should just go for them as a smaller set, and then add the sub at a later date if I felt the need.

yes, still very impressed by them mate. And the bass is plenty good enough. I use them for listening to HD audio too.

Never thouoght to get a sub, which I suppose says it all for the bass.

Mind you, I do like a sub woofer.....
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    edited September 2015

Interesting! The smaller size will certainly keep my missus happy (oo-er!) as these will be in our living room! That said, I'd still like to try the Genelecs alongside them, maybe I should order both for a shootout before deciding?

I was hoping the KRK's wouldn't come out on top of the list as I wasn't sure I'd survive if I brought in those yellow cones, they'd clash horribly with the décor dontcha know! ;)

*edit* just noticed the Genelecs only have a single XLR input... hmm.

I have the HS7 monitors and they are very good / very good value

they are quite a bit better than my KRK V6 [which were more expensive]

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Clarky said:

Yamaha HS7 monitors are surprisingly good..

only £300 squid the pair.. which is not bad at all...

Agree .. I have a pair of HS7s but if space or budget is an issue the HS5's are brilliant as well.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!