OD Opinions

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
Hi, 

I am currently planning a new board and i have a couple of OD's in mind two that i am pretty set on and one that im not too sure about.

I definitely would like a Palisades by EQD and a Box of Rock by Zvex. 

I would quite like to get something a little lighter to go first in the chain 0 kind of a break up but with potential to go a little gainy. 

With that in mind i have looked at the sick as by bondi effects and the klone v2 by arc effects. Is there anything else up to and in that kind of price range that people have had experience using? Of have people had experience using these pedals? 

I play through an AC30 and i mainly use a jazz master and if i'm feeling saucy i use a les paul. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Liquid Sunshine FTW. 
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

EQD White Light?

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited October 2014
    The ehx soul food would more or less let you see what a klon does for an awful lot less than the klone v2 you're looking at. or way huge is coming out with a klone (i think, the saucy box) which will be more than the soul food, but probably a fair bit less than that klone v2 as well (judging by the PGS price I saw).

Tempted to say a timmy as well would be worth a look.

EDIT: that liquid sunshine monquixote mentioned gets a good rep too but I haven't tried it.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Isn't the Hotcake + AC30 supposed to be a great combination?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

For a light gain I like the Zvex Distortron, with a Toadworks Mr.Ed into the front of it for a higher gain lead sound.

Think along the lines of Pink Floyd* for the sounds.

*Even though I can't play like Mr.G....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    In my experience, Hotcakes work very nicely with AC30s and JMs. Liquid Sunshines don't work so well.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Isn't the Hotcake + AC30 supposed to be a great combination?
    Thats my understanding. Away from an AC30 I much prefer the Blueberry muffin setting
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    For AC30, I enjoyed the klone I had. Actually preferred it at higher gain settings though! For edge of breakup sounds Timmy, OCD, Rat and Fuck Overdrive have been winners for me.

Rat also wins for heavier sounds.

The Distrorton is a better option than the box of rock for that kind of tone with an ac30 because of the bass switch - too much low end into the front of the amp ruins the tone IMO.
  • I use a Joyo Ultimate Drive - an OCD clone into my AC 30. Really fancy trying a Hotcake though.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I used a TS808 into my AC30 and they were not friends at all...
    Boss SD1 worked quite well

I never got chance to try a klone or Timmy, so I can't help on those fronts I'm afraid.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yes, SD-1 works well on the tubescreamer side of tings. TS9/808 not quite so much, it ends up being a bit too smooth, compressed and midrangey for my tastes.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    Cirrus said:
    Yes, SD-1 works well on the tubescreamer side of tings. TS9/808 not quite so much, it ends up being a bit too smooth, compressed and midrangey for my tastes.
    That's why I can never decide if I prefer an SD1 or a TS... I think they work better into (slightly) different styles of amps. As you said, when the amp is already verging on too smooth/too middy, the SD1 works better, whereas if the amp is already on the brighter/fizzier side I think a TS works better.

Kind of annoying because they sort of feel so similar that it's a bit of an extravagance to have both on a pedalboard, since I basically use them for exactly the same thing.