Odd midi problem with H&K Switchblade...any ideas?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
I just took delivery of a brand new Switchblade and I've had this odd thing happen...I set up 4 sounds on the midi stageboard (A,B,C,D). I noticed that when I switched from C or D to B, then B had reverted to the factory setting but if I switched from A to B then B was the setting I had saved, as it should be. So basically, going up is fine but going down resulted in B reverting to the factory setting. I kept re-storing B and the same thing kept happening. But when I switched to a different amp channel then saved that to B suddenly it all worked as expected.

It seems fine now but I'm a bit worried something is up with the amp.

Or is this a weird midi glitch that sometimes happens? I know nothing about midi.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    If it is a MKI footswitch they were poorly finished by H & K's suppliers. What a lot of owners thohght was amp issues was actually this issue and they got them made elsewhere much better and redesigned.

The soldering at the 7 pin jack plug was atrocious and looked like a drunken monkey did it.

If it is that then it is easily solved.

For if you can borrow another MIDI footswitch you can check if it is the footswitch or the amp. 

I used a FC-200 and FC-300 with no probs and the likes of a Behringer one too works well.

I have all the service manual and details of how I fixed my one if you need it, including pics etc. 

But first check with another MIDI footswitch or controller as there is a high probability of it bring the footswitch as most had this shitty solder job issue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No, it's the newer one with the separate cable...
  • Have you tried a factory reset?
  • Not yet...I was wondering about that. Do you know how to do it? I'll check it out.
  • I can't remember, though I do own a switchblade. I've never had a midi problem.
    Good amps when they work ;-)
    edited October 2014

Factory Reset details.

7.3 Factory Settings and Factory ResetA factory reset is a seldom needed feature. Nevertheless, be sure to read the explanation carefully to ensure you don’t accidentally delete your presets.

7.3.1 Triggering a Factory ResetIf you press STORE and FX SERIAL simultaneously while powering the amp, all settings are reset, including the 128 MIDI-switchable presets and the basic MIDI configuration

.7.3.2 Factory Presets and Basic MIDI Configuration The SWITCHBLADE TSC is delivered ex-factory with 64 different presets (memory slots 1-64). In the memory slots 65-125 you will find copies of the first 64 presets. You may find a list of all the presets on the accompanying sheet.The basic MIDI configuration is:• OMNI ON • MIDI Channel: 1• FX ON is switched off • SERIAL is deactivated

If you press STORE and FX SERIAL simultaneously while powering the amp, all settings are reset, including the 128 MIDI-switchable presets and the basic MIDI configuration.

edited October 2014
    Double post weirdness.
  • Thanks - I'll file that for future reference. DV247 are ok to sort out a replacement though and I think I'll go that way, since there was some damage to the top of the amp too.

Hopefully the replacement won't have any issues.

Must admit - I really like the amp.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Fixed some weird formatting.
    Thanks @Monquixote it all went a bit Pete Tong.

I copied and pasted from the H & K service manual PDF so that may explain it. Although I saved it to a textfile to try and avoid any silliness, oh well.

@gearaddict I loved both of mine too (50W combo and 100W half stack) and they were not even the TSC version. Great tones to be had if you spend some time to dial them in.

The FX are basic but excellent as they are parallel so no tone suck and the FX loop can be set per patch as parallel or series. The only omission was no noise gate/suppressor as the Coreblade has, easy sorted mind.

The Grandmeister is really the spiritual succesor to the Switchblade and on my to own gear list high up. Cannot justify it at the moment as not gigging, bah!!

My old 50 watt combo is still going strong after 6 years + of gigging, rehearsals and the like. The only issue was the crap soldering on the foitswitch, again easily sorted.

Bugger now you have me gassing for a Grandmeister, oh noes.