SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Windows 7 64-bit

What's Hot
Long shot. I've just rebuilt the home pooter, but acquired an Enterprise version of Windows 7. So product key won't work with it!
That's the trouble with cheap.
Microsoft is pushing Windows 8 now.
But if anyone has upgraded & wants to sell Windows 7 I'd be interested
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Didn't think the licenses were transferable tbh.
  • trolley said:
    Long shot. I've just rebuilt the home pooter, but acquired an Enterprise version of Windows 7. So product key won't work with it!
    That's the trouble with cheap.
    Microsoft is pushing Windows 8 now.
    But if anyone has upgraded & wants to sell Windows 7 I'd be interested
    I am pretty sure Enterprise requires a KMS server. 
    Am I right in thinking you can roll back Win 8?

8 is a faster running operating system and from the desktop it isn't all that different from 7.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    windows 8 is much better than 7.   download powershell, and then it looks like windows 7 with extra functionality, and is faster,more reliable.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    It's shit!
    I use it in work and if I could bin it I would. And so would our IT department.
    I need 64-bit 'cos I've got 8Mb RAM.
    Yes, Enterprise does require a KMS server - as I have discovered!
    But if someone sold me a copy of Win 7 and their licence that would be OK.
    Which is what I'm asking for.
    There's a firm near me selling various versions of Win 7 - all unopened allegedly. But I'm wary of buying something that might turn out to be dodgy. I can go & see them mind
    It isn't shit, and as mentioned if you spend a whole 5 minutes downloading poweshell looks and feels like 7. But if you're determined with getting 7, good luck. I have an oem 7 windows which I don't think is transferable which I'm not using but if you believe you can transfer it you can make an offer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    edited October 2014
    OEM licences aren't transferable as they're only supposed to be sold with a new computer and are therefore tied to the hardware the license is first installed on.

Oh, and Windows 8.1 is fine.  It runs quicker than 7 did on my PC and if you do what thomasw88 suggests then it'll be virtually indistinguishable from 7 to the average user.  I agree that the start screen debacle has done the OS a lot of damage, but 8 really is OK.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Win 7 64 - which version ?  Ultimate, Home etc ?

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    edited October 2014

If you get a COA from an old computer you can download the media from PB or similar and use the licence number on the COA to activate it. That will work fine

If you don't have a COA yourself already then you can get one from Ebay easy enough

Just make sure you get the right media for the COA, like Home Premium etc .
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I've got a genuine Windows 7 - 32 bit, os that CoA might be usable. But I'd need a 64-bit Win 7 - so I might as well buy the whole thing.
    Because I can't 'activate' the Enterprise version?
    So I might as well bin it & start again
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

You can buy  a Windows 7 COA and media (copied) for £35. I do it all the time as no one in the studio business like 8 so all non Mac machines go out with 7
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Powershell? Did you mean Classic Shell?
    Danny1969 said:

You can buy  a Windows 7 COA and media (copied) for £35. I do it all the time as no one in the studio business like 8 so all non Mac machines go out with 7
    Do tell -where from?
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

I bought a new desktop with no OS and bought this W7 Pro from these guys on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-64bit-Inc-SP1-OEM-Full-Program-Product-Key-/301344983333?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item46298f8925

It all installed fine & has been running and updating as it should since June 14 so I'm well happy

You have to go online onto the MS activation centre to register/activate but it all went fine (I was initially worried in case I'd bought a fake) but all was good and above board.

Was the cheapest I could find at the time & I' delighted with it

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    All the usual system builder sites sell OEM licences - bit more than £35 though.

OEM - Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-professional-64bit-Dell-branded/dp/B00N3XFBYG
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback