Chord Of The Week 25/10/14 - The 'Walking On The Moon' chord

bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
Dm7add11: x53533

Notes are:
D, the root - x5xx3x
F, the minor 3rd - xx3xxx
C, the 7th - xxx5xx
G, the 11th - xxxxx3

The chord 'works' because of the underlying quartal harmony - the 4 notes can be rearranged into D G C F as a sequence of 4th intervals stacked on top of each other, hence the name 'quartal' = made up of 4ths. Why are they called 4th intervals? Start counting up the alphabet from D as 1 and when you get to G you're on the number 4. If you go past G when counting, cycle back to A, so the interval between G and C is G1 A2 B3 C4 = a 4th again.

For bucketloads of info on quartal harmony and its application to Dm chords, see the discussion on D minor chords at
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Chord Of The Week Index updated with 64 discussions at http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/598/chord-of-the-week-index
  • Okay, maybe a daft question but you get the same notes by barring at the 10th fret on the low 4 strings.

Is this the same chord as above for naming purposes, or does the note order affect it? I don't have a guitar to hand right now to hear how different the voicing is...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

At the 10th it would be

10-8-10-9-8-x

D-F-C-F-G

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    You mean 10-8-10-10? But I think he means 10-10-10-10 is D,G,C,F, right?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    10 10 10 10 x x is indeed a Dm7add11 voicing, but it sounds a lot different because the G is voiced low and the F is on the top. Perhaps it would be more informative to call it Dm7add4
  • bigjon said:
    10 10 10 10 x x is indeed a Dm7add11 voicing, but it sounds a lot different because the G is voiced low and the F is on the top. Perhaps it would be more informative to call it Dm7add4
    So I got the notes right.  That's something.

Why would that name be more accurate?  Does it have a different musical context?

Again... Not got a guitar handy, but really value the info :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    The 4 and the 11 are the same note, just that the 11 is when you add it above the chord, at the top of it, and the 4 is when you add it inside the main octave, as you are doing when you play 10-10-10-10 (the 4th being the string next to the bottom note).
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Ooh, there's some lovely chords in this part of the fretboard. Use the same rhythm for walking on the moon (da-da daaah) and try these, related chords:

x 5 5 5 6 0

3 5 3 5 0 3 (wrap the thumb round on the bottom E string at the 3rd fret to play this)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    viz said:
    The 4 and the 11 are the same note, just that the 11 is when you add it above the chord, at the top of it, and the 4 is when you add it inside the main octave, as you are doing when you play 10-10-10-10 (the 4th being the string next to the bottom note).

My understanding is that it's a 4th if added to the chord, and an 11th if a 7th is also added. Whether a note is 'within' the range of the chord does not affect the naming convention.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it