Best Cheap Compressor Pedal - Biyang or Joyo?

What's Hot
longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
I've never used a compression pedal and quite fancy getting a cheap one to try out, I'm torn between a Joyo JF-10 and a Biyang Baby Boom Compress X.

Anyone played either/both?

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Get a second hand Marshall ED-1. They're really good, the fact that they're cheap too is a bonus. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The Marshall, dod fx80b, dod milk box, guyatone st2 are all around your price range secondhand. They'll definitely be more reliable than those cheap Chinese compressors.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    mooer yellow is a clone of the diamond, if that pedal ever took yee fancy?
  • I played the Joyo and sent it back. I now have the Biyang and its been on my board for over a year and is great!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Marshall ED1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Just get a Boss CS-3 and be done with it. While it's not the 'best' compressor, enough serious pros use them that it's clearly one of the better ones. £40 second hand, and they don't break.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Just get a Boss CS-3 and be done with it. While it's not the 'best' compressor, enough serious pros use them that it's clearly one of the better ones. £40 second hand, and they don't break.
    I found the CS3 to be the worst compressor I tried out of a big collection. 

If you are on a low budget as said a few times above get a Marshall ED1. In its price bracket it really is the daddy.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    The joyo one is pretty subtle-sounding. And there have been complaints about reliability (though my joyos have been fine, a slight scare with my tubescreamer clone notwithstanding).

I haven't tried the biyang, but the biyangs I did try (admittedly, the slightly older-style ones in the bigger, chrome enclosures) were pretty unreliable.

I'd be tempted to agree with ICBM. It's not terribly subtle, though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    In my days as a semi pro I used a CS-3 for years and was really happy with it. Now as a part time pub band player I read on the internet that it isn't that good so blew a hundred quid on a Keeley. Can't honestly say anyone's noticed :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got the enormous silver Biyang compressor. It's a dynacomp by all accounts and has been reliable so far. It can do subtle if you want that, mine is set to a pretty strong squish. Sounds okay to my ears. As I've probably said before the only downsides are the acres of space it takes up and the migraine inducingly bright LED.
  • PauloPaulo Frets: 65
    Biyang by a country mile. I have the chrome one and the smaller baby boom one. The Joyo sucks imo.
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    I've got both the Joyo and the Behringer DC9.  The DC9 is a lovely compressor for the money, and I'm not so fond of the Joyo.  I'm tempted to get hold of a Marshall though - it has more knobs.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I have played the Biyang and it knocked a Dyna Comp off my board. Check out TDPRI.com - they rave about it. Mine is for sale in the classifieds if you want one cheap....
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148

A T-Rex Comp Nova, 2nd hand. Eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-Rex-Comp-Nova-/321563848418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4adeb2eee2. Not mine by the way.

I have one, always switched on, without exception. It's just a 'make everything a bit better' pedal ;).

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    if you want cheap compressor, you'd be hard pressed to get anything as good as the DOD Milkbox...low noise and great comp as well as a treble control.
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Are you sure you need a compressor @longjaw?
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    Guitarse said:

Er, no mate, that's why I was enquiring what the best cheap one is so I can try it out and see?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - it's really useful. Looks like the Joyo is out, Biyany looks feasible and I quite fancy the looks of the Marshall ED-1.

;)

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    longjaw said:
    Guitarse said:

Er, no mate, that's why I was enquiring what the best cheap one is so I can try it out and see?

LOL, well played :))