Powered PA Speakers - Anyone use the Yamaha ones?

What's Hot
SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
I'm thinking of getting two powered speakers to use with my band. The Yamaha DBR10 looks like it would be about right. I see the DXR10 which is in their more expensive range, and I wonder if that would be worth paying the extra for. Has any one used these speakers (either or both)? They both seem to get good reviews. 

It will be for a band playing small venues, pubs, etc. Probably just putting acoustic guitar, sax and vocals through the PA. Not a really loud band (Americana, blues, acoustic stuff) but we do have drums and bass. We have monitors and a mixer already. I'd quite like to keep to 10 inch speaker size so easier to transport.

Grateful for any opinions or suggestions. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 955
    No one up for speaker chat? 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    edited February 21
    I’ve been using RCF 712 for years. Just bought the mk4 ones  to replace the older mk2’s I had. They’re great .   I had a dxr10 which I tried to use for guitar and keys  but I really preferred the rcfs and I even bought a Rcf 708,which sounds better than the dxr10 for that purpose.

thomasw88 said:
    I’ve been using RCF 712 for years. Just bought the mk4 ones  to replace the older mk2’s I had. They’re great .   I had a dxr10 which I tried to use for guitar and keys  but I really preferred the rcfs and I even bought a Rcf 708,which sounds better than the dxr10 for that purpose.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into those as well. Price wise they look to be about in-between the Yamaha DBR and DXR ranges. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    They do the RCF 710's which are a 10 inch speaker size.    They're meant to be great as well.

Mine have been bullet proof and have sounded great in all the bands I've used them in.  I put through vocals, acoustic/electric guitar, Kick drum, and sometimes keys.

I preferred the 708's to DXR 10's for monitoring of keys/electric guitar modeller thingy despite it being a smaller speaker.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 404
    For what it's worth, I have been using a Yamaha Stagepas 300 for vocals with a small band. Mine is the first generation, there have been a couple of newer iterations since then.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    I use DXR10 Mk1s in my music room. They’ve been great.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    Our band has been using 2 DXR12 for FOH (with a bass bin) and 2 DXR10 for monitors for a couple of years now. I think they sound great and are plenty loud. Vocals, guitars and bass (and some drums depending on venue size) all go through the PA (we're using modelers) and we get good clarity compared to our previous passive setup.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited February 22
    I have dxr8(1), dxr12(1) and have recently picked up a pair of dzr10. All very cool.

Before buying the dzr10’s I considered the dxr8(2) which look like they could have replaced by dxr12(1)’s comfortably enough.
  • I own and gig with two MK1 dxr10's as tops and two mk2 dxs12 subs. Haven't run out of power in small to medium venues. Insanely loud and high quality if needs be when wound up with music through the desk before and in between sets. We're all going through the PA as a 4 piece with E drums. We're doing ok with 12 inch subs and 10 inch tops with the added benefit of portability and weight. Very impressed with the Yamaha pa offerings.
    Thanks for the input everyone. Seems like most people (in this fairly small sample) favour the DXR over the DBR. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    DXR12s - been using them for 7 years. Great FOH sound, no issues 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    DXR12 Mk.I pair here. 

Really great speakers and I've gigged with a Pod Go/Kemper and one DXR12 and had great results.

I have them currently amping my eDrums in the house being sans band nowadays, overkill but they sound superb.

They see a bit of use once a year at the local village fête for background muzak and I've never wanted them to be louder.

I think they still come with a 7yr warranty as well.
    andy1839 said:
    DXR12 Mk.I pair here. 

Really great speakers and I've gigged with a Pod Go/Kemper and one DXR12 and had great results.

I have them currently amping my eDrums in the house being sans band nowadays, overkill but they sound superb.

They see a bit of use once a year at the local village fête for background muzak and I've never wanted them to be louder.

I think they still come with a 7yr warranty as well.
    Good to know about the warranty, that's pretty good. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I am looking to sell my DXR12s with stands covers etc. I'll get some pictures together and pop a formal add up. Looking for £600, I'm based in Kent.
    exocet said:
    I am looking to sell my DXR12s with stands covers etc. I'll get some pictures together and pop a formal add up. Looking for £600, I'm based in Kent.
    Thanks @exocet, someone on this thread did offer me a really nice set of 15s but they were just a bit big. I will check out the dimensions of the 12s.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I use 2 x DXR 12 for PA and one for Kemper...no issues.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1343
    I use a pair of Yam DZR’s - they sound brill..
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    I gigged with 2x DXR 10s for a few years. Fantastic 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    edited March 30
    Depends which.

I use a pair of DSRs - which were replaces a few years back by the DZRs.   Theres are really nice speakers - top of Yamahas line.  On par with RCFs 9 series if not a little better.

DXRs are a staple for gigging, solo artist shows and DJs - one down from those I use.  Id say those and the RCF 7 series are most common.  Id rate RCFs 7s a little better than the DXRs, but the 3s not as good.

The DBRs i dont like. probably because they are the budget line, and I dont like much if anything at their price point.  
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    QSC K12.2's and the 15 versions are very popular amongst the musicians I know, especially those with Kempers.

[This space for rent]