Advice on Running 2 Cabs

CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
Need your wisdom folks.

I have never actually tried to run 2 cabs before and just wondering the best way. It is a DR Z Maz 18 and going to try running it through a 2x10 and 1x12. Just to see how it sounds. Both would be 8ohm I think

Is it just a case of getting some sort of Y cable and plugging to both, then into the 4ohm output on the amp? If so, any ideas where I can buy such a thing as initial search didn't throw up much? Would like to buy a decent quality one if possible.

And anyone tempted to suggest me making something, don't. The only thing I would have confidence of me making, is a complete arse of it. 

:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Which cabs are they? Some cabs have a second jack socket which lets you link to a second cab (just use another speaker cable), though you need to be sure the extra jack socket isn't for mono/stereo operation (it's normally pretty obvious if it is, it generally says "Mono/Stereo" or something like that on it).

If neither of your cabs has that (only one needs to have the second jack socket), I've seen the thing you want on the award session site.

http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_specials.html (scroll down to "Speaker Y Splitter Cables")
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    edited October 2014

If you can fit a 13A plug (and as an adult you should be bloody well ashamed if you can't!) you can cut and splice two speaker cables to make a Y lead.

You could "twist and tape" it (ugh!) or use 5amp electricians "choc-block".

If you really are that helpless, try our very own Kabl kables.

Dave.

http://www.kablonline.com/

For some reason I can't insert a link via "edit"?????

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    ecc83 said:

If you can fit a 13A plug (and as an adult you should be bloody well ashamed if you can't!) you can cut and splice two speaker cables to make a Y lead.

I used to think so, but I'm now not so sure this isn't "giving them enough rope to hang themselves"…

Particularly as almost all electrical products now come with pre-fitted plugs, exactly to prevent incompetent DIY-ing, most people under 30 will never have fitted a 13A plug.

I would definitely not recommend twisting and taping wires to make a speaker cable for a valve amp! Choc block is OK if you're not going to gig it.

In fact, given some of the stuff I see in for repair, I'm not sure a lot of techs can be trusted with a 13A plug either…

(From a few months ago when the PAT sticker was still technically valid.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

"I would definitely not recommend twisting and taping wires to make a speaker cable for a valve amp! "

^Hence the "UGH!" It is in fact quite possible to make a very good taped joint but I would only do  it in extremis and NEVER for mains! (well, maybe to get a kidney machine running??!!?)

Yes, like the smoking ban, the lives saved from the introduction of moulded mains plugs is incalculable. I was "there" at the start of the debate and just like the minimum wage, all the greedy bastards said it would cause the collapse of civilization as we know it!

But peeps SHOULD still know how to fit one properly!

Dave.

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258

Thanks fellas.Very helpful advice!

I can change a plug, but still don't fancy taking it on myself...

So with that in mind, @RobDavies are you out there?  :)

(Could you knock me together one of the aforementioned Y splitters to run 2 cabs. And will also need another 1m Speaker cable, right angle to straight plug. Have PM'd my email address to send paypal invoice to)

Looks like Rob is going to put something together for me. :)  Excited to hear how this sounds.

Will be interesting to see whether one cab overpowers the other and makes it all rather pointless. The 2x10 is Dr Z's own 10" speakers. And the 1x12 is a Creamback. I can't imagine it is going to sound bad anyway.

These are very loud beasts for 18 watts. Have had other 18 watters and this seems double the volume.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I predict that will sound mint!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Funny that Dr Z heads and cabs only have one speaker connection. I would get a junction box so you can use normal speaker cables rather than a dedicated cable, but as long as you look after it then I'm sure it'll be just fine
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

I'm pretty sure My Maz 38 has more than 1 speaker out

I'm sure the 18 has multiple outputs for different ohms but you can only use one at a time. The 36 may well be different
    @John_A , Yeah, that's exactly it for the 18. Not sure about the Maz Senior, like you say may be different.

God knows how loud the Senior is.. The 18w is ridiculous. 

Re. the Y cable. I am just going for a smallish thing, with one male for into the amp, and 2 Female plugs. Then the Speaker cables go into that.

Hopefully will work ok. Very very rarely play out anywhere, so the Y cable won't be tested too rigorously.
    Y cable sounds a great solution. When you do gig, If you're anything like me I bet you can't be arsed to put both cabs in the car. ;) I

"Re. the Y cable. I am just going for a smallish thing, with one male for into the amp, and 2 Female plugs. Then the Speaker cables go into that."

DO NOT! Tell me that you are contemplating using female jack adaptors????

These are almost universally cak! They go intermittent and could damage a valve or worse.

The ONLY one worth a light is the H duty locking jobby from Neutrik.

Dave.

ecc83 said:

"Re. the Y cable. I am just going for a smallish thing, with one male for into the amp, and 2 Female plugs. Then the Speaker cables go into that."

DO NOT! Tell me that you are contemplating using female jack adaptors????

These are almost universally cak! They go intermittent and could damage a valve or worse.

The ONLY one worth a light is the H duty locking jobby from Neutrik.

Exactly.

That also goes against using the minimum number of potential failure points, even if you use the Neutrik locking jacks. It's pointless to do that, much better to have an 'all plug' Y cable which will do the job in one go. Just make sure one of the halves is long enough to reach the bottom cab.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Too late guys! :D

I think Rob may have already completed the Y cable and on it's way. But he did say he was using Locking Jacks, so may be not the end of the world...

Any additional precautions I should consider? Like I said, chance are it won't be moving anywhere, so should hopefully limit any issues.

To be fair, as long as you make certain both cables are connected at the cab ends as well as the sockets, it will be fine since it would need a failure in *both* of the sockets at the same time to leave the amp with no load.

Also too late now, but hopefully Rob has wired the sockets with the ring connection grounded as well, which doubles the reliability.

Cable arrived! Great work by @RobDavies as usual. KABL always a winner in my experience.

@ICBM No idea if it has the ring connection grounded, but hopefully won't be an issue.

Only had chance to give a quick blast when I got back from work, before kids to bed etc..

Hard to make a decision on how much I like both running together, as it has added considerable volume and bass, so I need to re-dial everything back in to sound the way I want, which takes time on the Maz as all the controls are VERY interactive.

Will report back tomorrow.