Steve Harley R.I.P.

What's Hot
icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
Lost his battle with cancer today, 73 years old, I saw him a couple of times, a man who had presence on stage and wrote some excellent songs. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Just saw this and came here to report. He lived locally and a number of people I know were in his live band in recent decades. 
    I have vivid memories of TOTP Come up and see me. Where the guitarist wore a green suit and a massive kipper tie for that quintessential acoustic solo.
    May he rest peacefully.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Ah, man - great guy. His later renditions of Make Me Smile had some serious oomph. Despite having performed that song so many times he never phoned it in.
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    This is very sad news.
    I saw him live and met him a few times in the mid 70s at the hight of his fame.
    He was always really friendly.
    I bumped into him one day while shopping in Harrods and he was wearing the same clothes and shoes he wore on the album cover of Human Menagerie.
    He always had two big security guys with him.
    He couldn't  run from fans because Polio had left his legs weak .
    RIP Steve.
    You will live on through your music.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Always liked him and his music. A proper south east London boy.  RIP Steve. 
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2380
    Another great life lost to cancer. What a loss. R.I.P. Watched this recently and thought so good to see a man still enjoying playing the hit that changed his life....

https://youtu.be/lo4-b4rOsYE?si=tI1rsZjOiBP7wZvH
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Strat54 said:
    Another great life lost to cancer. What a loss. R.I.P. Watched this recently and thought so good to see a man still enjoying playing the hit that changed his life....

Great performance, I’ve watched this a few times as we added it to our set for a gig in January…. RIP
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1085
    One of my busking songs from back in the day. Discovered Steve Harley when I used to record Vh1 Classics on Sky every night back in the late 90s. Sad news.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    Very sad news. Great bloke
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1174
    Saw him in the seventies at The Steam Machine, Hanley when Make Me Smile was at its peak.  Great show.  RIP Steve.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9622
    edited March 17
    My friend who I wrote a load of songs with in the 90s introduced me to Steve Harley's music. We used to go to a pub where the jukebox was wrongly labelled and you had to select the b-side to hear Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me). That song directly influenced us in at least three ways - I was determined to play a guitar solo on acoustic on one of our songs, another had a stop-start "pregnant pause", and another used brackets in a perverse way (the main title in brackets, followed by a secondary part, or something like that). RIP.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    One of my fav songs ever - make me smile - Plus another part of my youth as such songs were part of my young teenage years - Thanks for making me smile when I hear your songs - RIP  Steve
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:

That was excellent- thanks for posting that clip - 
    A great song from any era - It is not type cast to the 70’s - It would fit just as well in the 60s with Simon n Garfunkel or today with Ed
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11296
    Make Me Smile is the thing that he's known fir, but things like Judy Teen and Mr Soft were very much not run of the mill singles. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18763
    Saw the original Cockney Rebel play their first UK tour at Newcastle Mayfair a week or two after TOTP featuring 'Judy Teen'. Place was less than half full but they played a great live set & he was a very charismatic frontman. RIP.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I always preferred Judy Teen, but I won't hold it against him for incessant 'Smile' indoctrination over the years. Was good you could make a sacking into such a bonanza. kudos Mr Harley.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    edited March 22
    ESBlonde said:
    Just saw this and came here to report. He lived locally and a number of people I know were in his live band in recent decades. 
    I have vivid memories of TOTP Come up and see me. Where the guitarist wore a green suit and a massive kipper tie for that quintessential acoustic solo.
    May he rest peacefully.
    Jim Cregan. He went on to play with Rod Stewart’s band. Still touring (as Cregan and Co) and still playing Come Up  and See Me.

RIP Steve, too young. Fuck you cancer. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    boogieman said:
    ESBlonde said:
    May he rest peacefully.
    Jim Cregan. He went on to play with Rod Stewart’s band. Still touring (as Cregan and Co) and still playing Come Up  and See Me.

RIP Steve, too young. Fuck you cancer. 
    Thanks @boogieman .
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Famous really for just one song but… Wow! What a song! Pretty much the perfect pop song.

RIP
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 981
    edited April 11
    Strat54 said:

Wow - thank you @Strat54 - bloody lovely that. Thank you Steve Harley- RIP. I guess it makes it easier not to phone the hit in when it's a bloody perfect pop song.