Any Fans Of 3 Colours Red On Here?

What's Hot
Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
edited March 27 in Music
I watched this excellent interview with Ben yesterday https://youtu.be/31ybUQtDJ5w?si=9p4il-jS_GxoXYsG
Then went looking on youtube for videos of the band and watched a few before I found this one and realised I was at this show .
https://youtu.be/tmsqHtQ8B7U?si=MCaB0DM3bD5Js75J
I do wonder if any of them have back problems for playing guitars so low and crowd surfing with black Gibson Les Pauls ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    I remember them, but they fell into that no-man's-land somewhere between indie and hard rock which was never quite my kind of thing.  I bet my brother went to see them at some point, though.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1067
    I was in a band many years ago where our singer songwriter was really into them as well as The Afghan Whigs, Husker Du etc. He played that stuff so much on our long drives between gigs and rehearsals that it rubbed off on me eventually lol
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3328
    Excellent, cheers. A wonderful band I saw many times. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    I preferred it to Blue and White personally. With it's kinder themes and tragic post-production death I can see why it got the attention it did.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 366
    I liked them back in the day. At one point it seemed like every gig I went to they were the support act, so I've probably seen them 10 or 15 times... 

Thanks for sharing this.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    GoFish said:
    I preferred it to Blue and White personally. With it's kinder themes and tragic post-production death I can see why it got the attention it did.

@GoFish you can be happy that at least one person got your reference 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    GoFish said:

Me too.  I've seen all three but I can't remember much about them and I don't know about the tragic post-production death.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5471
    I had some of their stuff back in the day. There were other bands of this ilk going around at the time and it was good to see stuff like this on TV, usually TFI Friday.
    I was really in to Headswim for a while.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I remember them, but they fell into that no-man's-land somewhere between indie and hard rock which was never quite my kind of thing.  I bet my brother went to see them at some point, though.
    Yes, that’s how I saw them at the time, sitting between two stools.. too rock for NME, not metal enough for Kerrang though they featured in both.. I couldn’t get my head round them at the time. I should give them another listen. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I liked a few songs but never bought any of their records. Went to see them at Portsmouth Wedgewood Rooms in about 1995 or 1996 but that was because Mark Keds' new band Jolt were supporting.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    edited March 28
    I am happy about others seeing the film - There was a rash of crossover, perhaps in the wake of Tarantino, with films and music. It always wound me up a little to be honest.

It's petty, I know, but I always resented the perception of laziness I got when bands who weren't Iron Maiden took a flim or character and used it wholesale.I shouldn't mind - after all there's been a long tradition of such crossovers, from the dawn of the rock n roll era onwards.

Did 3 Colours Red have an ex-Wildheart in their line up?

@Philly_Q - I think the director or writer died very soon after the film's completion.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    edited March 28
    GoFish said:
    @Philly_Q - I think the director or writer died very soon after the film's completion.
    You're right, I've just looked it up - Krzysztof Kieślowski's last film.  I guess I must have known that at the time, but I'd totally forgotten.  I've got 6 or 7 of his films on DVD, which shows how long ago it was...

GoFish said:
    Did 3 Colours Red have an ex-Wildheart in their line up?
    Members of the band certainly played with past, present or future Wildhearts, but I don't remember the exact connection.  I do know that Pete Vuckovic was in Diamond Head for a while before forming 3 Colours Red.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    They had Chris, brother of Danny from the Wildhearts. 

Great band, saw them loads at the time. 
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 186
    Pure is one of my favourite albums from the 90s
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    Philly_Q said:
    drofluf said:
    GoFish said:

Me too.  I've seen all three but I can't remember much about them and I don't know about the tragic post-production death.
    Ditto. I’ve never knowingly heard the band but saw all the films at least once, probably twice each. I liked them a lot at the time but my memory is pretty hazy now and they’re mixed up together in my mind. They’d come back quickly enough if I started watching them again.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Their drummer Keith Baxter (RIP) did a dep gig with a wedding band I was also depping for around 2006 at a local hotel.

He'd 'listened to the set on the way to the gig' and did a half decent job on the night, but couldn't help but make it known being a dep in a wedding band was way beneath him.  Yet there he was, out of work, available, and looking for dep work.

I think he was working in a pub in Lancaster at the time, something to do with his family.  Fascinating fellow and I quite enjoyed his company for that short while, but he clearly felt he was a rock star ("I'm not used to carrying my own gear" etc, had to borrow a set of mics for the night) and I wouldn't have wanted to deal with him in anything other than short doses.

He couldn't half hit the drums though, which is another of my abiding memories of the night - my ears are still ringing now.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    @StefB not a very good drummer then for a
    dep gig if he couldn’t “read the room” and not whack his drums for every song.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Jason said:
    They had Chris, brother of Danny from the Wildhearts. 

Great band, saw them loads at the time. 
    They also had Ben Harding, ex-Senseless Things whose singer (Mark Keds) joined Wildhearts briefly after ST split up.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    A great band!
    I have a vivid memory of recording "Beautiful Day" off the local radio station (2CR or PowerFM for those from the South coast!) back in 1999! I then got really into their "Pure" album which is still on a fairly regular rotation of mine.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.