Any fans of the simple Boss DD-3 (and DD-3T) delay pedal?

CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
edited March 28 in FX
Just bought another one of these after stupidly selling the one I had and trying a DM2-W (not for me).

I've learnt thru experience my delay needs are incredibly primitive for my band - I step on one for the big solo lead sound (I might occasionally use it for chords). 
I don't need shimmer, dotted eighths, reverse delay or slapback for that matter (though can just set a short delay with DD-3).

Simple interface clearly marked out. Job done. Set it and forget it.
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    I used a DD-3 for years, worked a treat. I need to get another.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    Yes, I like how the repeats sit. Lovely.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534
    Dotted eights are great fun to play with
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    CaseOfAce said:
    Just bought another one of these after stupidly selling the one I had and trying a DM2-W (not for me).

I'm surprised you  didn't get on with the DM-2W.
    For me it's like the analog version of the DM-3 -- really simple. 
    I love delay and I like big complex delay but for live playing with standard covers material I think simple delay wins. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    I find it to be a great signal generator, not a great sounding delay. If that makes sense.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 186
    Yes. Simple digital delay is all I need. I love the JHS Lucky Cat as it’s a DD-3 with a straight forward time knob & tap.

currently using a DD-2 cos it’s nice.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1336
    edited March 28
    Grunfeld said:
    CaseOfAce said:

I love delay and I like big complex delay but for live playing with standard covers material I think simple delay wins. 
    I kept constantly having to remember to turn the left hand Repeat Rate knob anti-clockwise to increase the length of the delay time (and in fact you turn the right hand Intensity knob clockwise to increase the number of delay repeats) and seemed counter intuitive coming from the DD3 where you turn the Time knob clockwise.
    I also preferred going from short to long delay times by twisting a knob rather than going from non -custom to custom mode made more sense as well.

This is my personal preference. I really liked the short slapback sound on the DM2-W though - if I was in a rockabilly band I might reconsider!

To anyone with a Strymon this probably sounds dumb but I like my effects childproof ! 
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    I had one. I lost it at some point 20 years ago. I prefer it to the fancier ones.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Yeah I love my DD3T. I find it to be a lot more versatile than both my DM2W and RE2.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited March 28
    CaseOfAce said:

I kept constantly having to remember to turn the left hand Repeat Rate knob anti-clockwise to increase the length of the delay time (and in fact you turn the right hand Intensity knob clockwise to increase the number of delay repeats) and seemed counter intuitive coming from the DD3 where you turn the Time knob clockwise....

To anyone with a Strymon this probably sounds dumb but I like my effects childproof ! 
    Ah yes!  Now you mention it, me too!  You're absolutely correct about that.
    Which is why I put stickers over the DM-2W knobs clearly indicating delay time, feedback, and mix.  Gawd, they've been stuck on there so long that it feels like Boss did it. 

• FezFez Frets: 522
    I really like the DD3T Easy to use sounds great and tap tempo with an extra switch is excellent.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Yep - both. Usually gig the dd3t.

It just works! (And idiot proof - which is important and I have extensively tested)
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited March 28
    Yeah I love my DD3T. I find it to be a lot more versatile than both my DM2W and RE2.
    If it had tails it would be my perfect delay!
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 277
    edited March 29
    In praise of idiot-proof:

I saw one of Airto Moreira's bands at Ronnie Scott's many years ago.  The guitarist had a big rack of heaven knows what, all connected to a couple of foot switches with big red and green stickers labelled with words like 'on", 'off', 'yes', 'no'.

Jose Netto, if memory serves.

Not lacking in ability...

But obviously keen on avoiding cock ups while trying to engage an audience and keep his job with one of the world's leading percussionists.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16097
    CaseOfAce said:
    Grunfeld said:
    CaseOfAce said:

I kept constantly having to remember to turn the left hand Repeat Rate knob anti-clockwise to increase the length of the delay time (and in fact you turn the right hand Intensity knob clockwise to increase the number of delay repeats) and seemed counter intuitive coming from the DD3 where you turn the Time knob clockwise.
    I also preferred going from short to long delay times by twisting a knob rather than going from non -custom to custom mode made more sense as well.

This is my personal preference. I really liked the short slapback sound on the DM2-W though - if I was in a rockabilly band I might reconsider!

I agree........simpler the better especially with delay ;I look at some of these sophisticated delay units and they look like an electronic conundrum .......I've never been good with things like complicated remote controls for TVs etc so simple suits me.
    The only thing I miss on a simple delay is a 'ducked' delay which is great.....it only starts repeating when you have a pause or tiny bit of space between notes so that fast rocky runs or fast succession of chords don't mush and collide into one another
    Line 6 do this but not sure if any others do
  • ScreamingDaveScreamingDave Frets: 553
    One more “yay” for the DD-3. It’s been my only digital delay for 20 years, now. (And now I feel really old)

I’m sure there are loads of digital delays out there which are technically “better” but it does what I need it to do. 
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Anyone got Helix settings for the 'Vintage Digital' to recreate the Long Chip DD-2/3 sound? I gather it's 12-bit, with a bit of low pass and high pass filtering going on...
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    It was the first delay pedal I ever purchased, I bought it when it came out in the '80s, and I still have it. Also my favourite delay pedal still. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    The DD-2 is my favourite basic delay for leads and adding a bit of ambience.  So much character for a digital pedal.