State of Play: Affordable pedal based amps

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
edited April 8 in Digital & Modelling
Hello.

My Line 6 POD 2 has finally died and it is time to think about replacing. I have already checked, nothing used advertised anywhere locally.

Needs, finances are a bit strained due to too many car repair bills but due to kids and not getting settled until late I need something for quietness and that can take the pedal board and function with headphones so an IR Cabinet output is essential.

Don't mind if single model, doesn't have to be "accurate" but decent sounding is fine. I made a pedal board recently so something with the form factor to fit into that would be good.

BOSS IR2 looks great but it is not available! Quite pricey too. No idea realy what is good enough to be acceptable as the only way I will get to really try will be to buy first. Plan would be something inexpensive now and then later start to look and save up for a more permanent solution.

At the moment I haven't touched a guitar for almost 2 and a half months. Which is a little scary. I am also wrecked by anxiety by laying though an amp and having people potentially hear me. Which is a problem I think.

Edit: Palmer Pocket Mk II? As a starter/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    Just plug a Nux mighty plug into the last pedal .... that will give you amp sims and a recording interface, BT streaming, drum machine  as well plus it's a great headphone amp .... and it's only £60 ish 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 600
    edited April 8
    @Jetsam1I've got an immaculate Pod 2 with carry case and amp- top stand if that's of any interest?
    Send me a PM if it is...
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    If you're open to buying a cheap audio interface with a headphone output, the Joyo American Sound (also branded as Ammoon or Harley Benton I think) is a great sounding amp and cab sim which takes pedals really well.
  • willowillo Frets: 386
    Line 6 Pod Express or wait for the IR2 to come back in stock. The initial wave of hype will die down and it should be available normally very soon. 
  • onyironyir Frets: 45
    There's also the Boss Katana Go, which to me works better than the mighty plug
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    Two Notes opus is great.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    The TC Electronics Ampworx pedals look decent and good value.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Jetsam1 said:
    Hello.

My Line 6 POD 2 has finally died and it is time to think about replacing. I have already checked, nothing used advertised anywhere locally.

Needs, finances are a bit strained due to too many car repair bills but due to kids and not getting settled until late I need something for quietness and that can take the pedal board and function with headphones so an IR Cabinet output is essential.

Don't mind if single model, doesn't have to be "accurate" but decent sounding is fine. I made a pedal board recently so something with the form factor to fit into that would be good.

BOSS IR2 looks great but it is not available! Quite pricey too. No idea realy what is good enough to be acceptable as the only way I will get to really try will be to buy first. Plan would be something inexpensive now and then later start to look and save up for a more permanent solution.

At the moment I haven't touched a guitar for almost 2 and a half months. Which is a little scary. I am also wrecked by anxiety by laying though an amp and having people potentially hear me. Which is a problem I think.

Edit: Palmer Pocket Mk II? As a starter/
    In what manner has it died? I thought mine failed a couple of years ago and it just needed the firmware chip reseating and the "pots" a squirt with contact cleaner.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1128
    Nux Amp Academy? 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    Hi all, sorry work, the office day of the week and then the kids stopped me getting around to replying.

Anything from the UK is a non starter now as i am in Central Europe, just too much hassle and it will get caught in customs.Waiting for a courier pick up just to send to Germany and that is turning into an extended pain in the bum.

I think after looking at the old POD 2 again that I want physical controls and minimal fuss with no need for menu diving and just a few decent core sounds that work through headphones. Ideally that can run off my pedal board power supply or as a standalone unit anywhere. I generally only used about three amp models and maybe the reverb....................... It is quite bulky as well. I think one or two of the pots have failed but I got it in 2018 I think and it was a bit old then so I think I can say it has been very worthwhile owning!

I get very little time for guitar stuff so minimal fuss is a requirement. Not interested in plugging into computers for rabbit holes as I have enough of that at work. I prefer to stay with physical controls were possible as this is just what I like I have found as i want to be up and running in seconds. I am looking for something only for headphone use but the small plus don't appeal as it needs messing about with apps either on computer or a phone. Not for me any more I am afraid. I want my guitar stuff to be simple and straightforward.

I saw the TGP thread on the POD Express and the whining has actually largely sold it to me! =) ;). Runs off batteries of which I have many rechargeables of good quality from camera land and should be ok with the pedal board power supply. And has knobs to twiddle and a tiny footprint.

The Opus is a bit more than I would want to spend at the moment I think.

Never heard of the TC electronic Ampworx, I presume they are standalone "tributes" to the classic amps? Had a look and seem indifferent reviews and hard to find in stock of course as always pinces of salt needed. So I have to pick if I prefer the AC30, Marshall or fender sounds! I did used to have a Marshall JCM900 once upon a time and I quite liked the Marshall clean if this pedal can do it.

So I don't know! The Line6 is maybe edging it as it is possible to stick in batteries and not be glued to the desk. My amp is a Peavey Transtube Studio Pro so you can see where I am coming from.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2909
    If you're really stuck for something I'd be happy to send you my old Pocket Pod for the cost of covering postage to you. Been sat in my cupboard for ages doing nothing and it's not really worth anything to sell it!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    TTBZ said:
    If you're really stuck for something I'd be happy to send you my old Pocket Pod for the cost of covering postage to you. Been sat in my cupboard for ages doing nothing and it's not really worth anything to sell it!
    The generosity of this forum astounds me every day.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    TTBZ said:

Hi, sorry for replying late. Had to think about it and work back around. I am out in Hungary so it would be international post etc. But if you are ok with that PM me and I would graciously accept the offer.
    nero1701 said:

The generosity of this forum astounds me every day.

Yes, really makes me feel better with the world and that there are nice people out there which when you look at the news is something that can be forgotten.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    The new ToneX one has just been released. The size of a tubescreamer mini.