Why do I need a delay pedal?

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
Right, it seems that almost everyone has a delay on their board but it is not something I have at the moment.

Why do I need one?

I mostly play bluesy kinda stuff and have some reverb on my amp but wonder whether I should be adding a delay.  Can anyone explain how I would benefit from adding delay to my board?  I know about slapback but the only times I've really noticed delay being used is on more ambient stuff or for U2 type effects.

Basically, can you enlighten me please?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214

A little bit at 400 ms so you can only just hear it

Play for a while get used to it..

now try switching it off...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4528
    Bang out an Aminor barre chord and let that delay whisp away into the ether.. sounds great .. get a bit of modulation working on those repeats and you have yourself a very fun and usable sound
  • I know what you're saying - I was in the same position a while back.

Then I bought a simple delay so I could play Red House properly - from there its a slippery slope.

I now have a DD3 for Tom Morrello effects, and a DD7 for more ambient noodling, plus a Wampler tape echo for a Pink Floyd type sound (that does a great slap back too).

That's me at least ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    Some people use it instead of reverb low level and on all the time. 

Andy Timmons rig rundown has a nice bit on this. 

You can also use it for solos. It's especially useful if you are in a 1 guitar band and it sounds sparse when you solo.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
     It's especially useful if you are in a 1 guitar band and it sounds sparse when you solo.
    That's how I use mine in the band.

At home I use delay a lot, but with the covers band it's mostly just to give me another option, and can work great to add emphasis to a solo.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    So, for the soloing thing, are you using the delay to thicken up the sound by doubling (or more) the guitar part?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    No you just have it set at a fixed time and the notes fall where they may. 

I actually find having the delay tap tempoed is worse as any slight fluctuation in time makes it sound off. Where as if it has no relation to the tempo it just is what it is.

I was in a band with a bloke who used to type in the bpm of the original song into his delay pedal between each song. I explained we won't actually be playing any of these songs at the exact tempo but he was resolute.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah right, I think I see what you mean.  Do you rely upon the repeats being quite quiet in relation to the original signal so that doesn't get confusingly busy?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    a little bit of delay with not much repeats messes up your sound a lot less than reverb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    edited October 2014
    the_jaffa said:
    Right, it seems that almost everyone has a delay on their board but it is not something I have at the moment.

Why do I need one?

So you can set the guitar feeding back, turn the mix control up until the delay signal dominates, and then wind the delay time control backwards and forwards to fake the theremin part in Whole Lot of Love?

Admittedly it's not the only thing I do with it but it is kind of fun.... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    the_jaffa said:
    Ah right, I think I see what you mean.  Do you rely upon the repeats being quite quiet in relation to the original signal so that doesn't get confusingly busy?
    Yes. Few repeats and much quieter than the original signal. It's a way of using it without it being a feature effect, but it helps to fill out the sound . As was suggested earlier try it, get used to it...then switch it off and you'll notice how much of an effect it was having.
  • You need delay because clean guitar on it's own sounds shit. Also chorus or phaser.

The cardinal rule is also:  no tap tempo= no point
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I rarely play without delay or compression. At moment I have a Princeton set up on its own as haven't built my studio yet, and it's awesome.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Tal tempo gives ypu more options, but if youre just using it to spice up a solo it doesent really matter.
    Thanks people, sounds like getting one and having a play might well work then.
  • AxeWieldingBastardAxeWieldingBastard Frets: 156
    edited October 2014
    Switchable awesome sauce, you won't regret.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    You need one to go with your amp reverb, because dynamic range of expression isn't just about "clean" and "crunchy".

Ideally you need one made by Catalinbread. ;)
    And yes, slapback echo with amp reverb - the archetypal 50s rock'n'roll sound - is my favourite game to play with delay. 

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3041