LOL - it seems women can taste whiskey better than men can

What's Hot

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1175
    WHISKY......Whiskey is the Irish variant which I love.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22946
    Why LOL?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28386
    That's probably why the makers struggle to sell it to women. It's rank enough for me - imagine if you had to experience greater depths of horror. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I thought I liked whisky for decades, then in a lightbulb moment, realised I really didn't. Maybe I'm missing the tastebuds that sense the nice tastes, and only have the ones that sense the acid and paint stripper notes???
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Sporky said:
    That's probably why the makers struggle to sell it to women. It's rank enough for me - imagine if you had to experience greater depths of horror. 
    Yep. This. 

My mates sit there sipping, discussing all the flavour notes etc. 

To me it tastes like malt vinegar. 

I also get proper angry on it. I’m a placid soul. But feed me whisky and I want to fight the world. Really strange. 

I steer well clear of the stuff. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    I don't find the taste pleasant either, and I've tried cheap ones to expensive ones...in fact the more expensive ones tasted worse to me.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9776
    I like whisky but i've found my goldilocks zone is kind of one step up from the supermarket ones (no famous grouse, bells or other nail varnish removers for me) but definitely below the fancy ones as I definitely don't have the sophistication for it. I prefer the feel of it than the taste anyway. I've been to a whisky festival twice in Brum (once was my stag do in fact), and I found all the tasting notes stuff really tiresome and dull anyway. If it feels smooth and warming and doesn't need watering down, then that's more important to me than if somebody can get a faint note of unicorn anal gland secretion.

Not surprised that women are better at it, my wife tastes and smells different stuff than me but we know that and it's quite useful once you know that and trust it.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    I only like bourbon really, which I imagine is considered the whisky equivalent of lambrini to the officianados.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    I can't stand the stuff , even the smell of it turns my stomach. That said I really don't like the taste of Alcohol of any kind.
    I do enjoy getting drunk though. =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    And there's no hangover worse than a whisky hangover... The taste and smell lingers for ages...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    To me there's a real hint of urine-soaked burnt sprouts to the stuff.

If you like it, keep on trucking, of course. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    edited April 19
    Philly_Q said:
    Why LOL?
    Very much this. Also, tasting whisky & being able to differentiate various subtle flavours in it, does not automatically translate to liking it 
    I on the other hand like whisky & women that like it :-D
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2246
    I do like whisky and I do know how much water to add for the stronger ones. Just like overdrives there's only two types, like and dislike. I don't like cheap ones and the expensive ones are wasted on me.

Same with coffee. I did a tasting pack. All I learnt was I don't like African coffee. 

I don't like wine much and don't understand why people like it let alone taste cherries etc. 

Drink it, don't drink it and leave the notes of parmaviolets to the deluded.

slacker said:

I don't like wine much and don't understand why people like it let alone taste cherries etc. 

I think the cherries thing is oft overstated - it all tastes of wine. Sometimes within "it tastes of wine" there can be bits that remind me of particular other things, but they're the subtleties.

Except Sauvignon Blanc, which tastes weird. 
  • I'm not surprised, ladyprettydamned has a much better pallete and nose than I do, for food and drink. Coffee is an exception, but I do wonder how much of that is in my head as I tend to pick up on tasting notes provided.

I do enjoy whisky in cocktails, and if I drink whisky as a drink I tend to like my really heavily pleated stuff, like Laphroaig. Which does taste like a bonfire but I like it. 

I tend to enjoy rums more to be honest, both cocktails and neat. Nom nom. Ladyprettydamned prefers whisky. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9776
    I had a single (emphasis on single) of this one when on Honeymoon in Iceland
    https://www.flokiwhisky.is/floki-single-malt-sheep-dung-smoke

"lingering aftertaste that brings you back to the farm you worked on decades ago"

The bold bit is definitely true, but I have never worked on a farm so I can't confirm the second bit

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7881
    The only woman I know who likes whiskey is a ‘gulping whisky’ kinda girl, not into ‘sippin whiskey’. 

I gave her a bottle of Talisker once, she hated it, but still polished it off in an afternoon, 

Classy lady! 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11813
    Rank stuff but then again I never drink spirits of any kind these days, period.

I too have heard others say that whisky turns them into Conor McGregor.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22946
    I don't dislike whisky (or even whiskey) but it's not something I ever drink in a pub or at home.  I think I'd have to do a lot of tasting to start appreciating the subtleties.

Having said that I've visited distilleries a couple of times and when they let you sample the varieties, back to back, the differences are quite apparent.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    Sporky said:
    To me there's a real hint of urine-soaked burnt sprouts to the stuff.

If you like it, keep on trucking, of course. 
    @Sporky you never cease to astound and amaze with a descriptive turn of phrase of astounding eloquence