Who pays £700 for a 15w solid state combo?

What's Hot
KeikoKeiko Frets: 1008

Has the vintage gear market really gotten this silly. I know it's in nice condition for something from 1971, but you could get a decent valve amp for that kind of money, maybe even a 50w Laney supergroup head if you keep a close eye on Ebay.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeikoKeiko Frets: 1008
    Oh, and then there's this, came up in my ebay suggestions:

wtf?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    I don't know the amp in question - but why is it silly if it sounds amazing? 

Just because something does not contain valves doesn't mean its a cheap/crap unit.

Likewise, just because something has valves doesn't mean it sounds good.

Therefore is it just the solid state thing that makes it silly? If so... erm, why?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1008
    edited April 22
    Well, because only a few years ago they were selling for nowhere near those asking prices, more like £50. Now suddenly people are asking over a grand for them.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4726
    edited April 22
    If folk are prepared to pay silly money for something just because its from the 70's then more fool them. These amps were 'OK' but nothing special, and were typical tranny amps of the day - I think the LC16 was the first combo Laney did. You can pick up a Marshall Valvestate for £100-250 that will sound way better, although I just saw a 'special edition' VS102R in orange Tolex where the guy's asking £595!! o (good luck with that one mate!) 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    It's probably because it's been used on some album or other. 

Tiny Peavey were going for silly money a few months ago because apparently Josh Homme uses them in the studio. The same for the Fender Practice amp that Jonny Greenwood uses. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    The user name is "ipaidhowmuch!" so I guess he is just trying to get his money back.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 244
    Until it sells, the answer is nobody?
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7897
    Asking prices and selling prices are very different things
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 284
    My old 1970s Carlsbro Scorpion could sound pretty good (2x12 Celestion G12Hs) but I can't see paying anything like that kind of money for one. 
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 338
    I’ve got a fuse from my 1964 Gibson Mercury Head…..anyone want it for £300 with free delivery
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    edited April 27
    Keiko said:

Who pays £700 for a 15w solid state combo?

So far.... No-one 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2175
    This is not too dissimilar to people that chance their arms whilst selling coins on eBay etc.

Earlier today, I decided to google a coin that I have in my possession. I saw an example on eBay for nearly £10,000. 

I then scrolled through a few more search results, found what looked to be a reputable coin valuation site and they said it would be worth somewhere in the region of £3.53. 

Point being, and as has been said, the price that a seller lists something for is often absolute fucking nonsense. 

They hope they can use their ad copy to convince somebody to part with inordinate sums of money. 

It’s chancing your arm at its finest and fortunately we’re not that stupid, right? 

Right?!?! 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited April 28
    Keiko said:

but you could get a decent valve amp for that kind of money,
    I dont understand this aspect.  Vale amps are not inherently better, sound better, or worth more.  In many cases SS may be preferable.  
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Exhibit A

Fender Tonemasters

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• snowblindsnowblind Frets: 284
    @Nerine These things you see on Ebay/Amazon etc for ridiculous prices are often a money laundering trick. Nobody actually thinks the item is worth this. The seller has a target buyer who wants to funnel cash to the seller through an otherwise legitimate route. The seller puts up the item for a price that no one without understanding will pay. Buyer gets to transfer money to seller although no goods are ever really exchanged or if they are it is something small and worthless like a 50p piece.
    There is a papertrail showing everything is above board. It can also be a way to cover up stolen goods. Crook A steals something. He then has Crook B put up an auction for a similar item at a stupid price. Crook B accepts a much lower offer so the "sale" goes through. Crook B gets his fence money. Crook A now has provenance for nicked gear.

The websites get their fees regardless so what do they care?

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Gassage said:
    Exhibit A

Fender Tonemasters
    Or going the other way Peavey Valveking...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    Gassage said:
    Exhibit A

Fender Tonemasters
    I was just going to say this , & a bit more than £700 new .  They are rather nice though 
    almost like a beginners boutique amp 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    The problem is that historically, solid-state has been associated with cheap amps - at least after the initial phase of development where reliability was very questionable as well - and so the perception is that it’s an inferior technology. In fact, it’s not - but it’s very difficult to change that when most solid-state amps *are* more cheaply made than valve ones and don’t sound as good, exactly because it’s hard to persuade buyers to part with more money for one, because they are perceived as cheap… it’s a self-reinforcing prophesy.

One of the big problems is that they’re usually fitted with cheaper and inferior speakers, because the speaker is the single most expensive component. Fit a good speaker to any of the better-designed solid-state amps and you may be very surprised at the results.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein