The Robin in Wolverhampton - Steve Rothery gig

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
edited November 2014 in Live
I'm thinking about wizzing down to the Robin next friday to see Steve Rothery - I think this would be the easiest gig to get to.   If I do I'll leave Hull about 3.30 and should get there in time.  

Before I grab a ticket, I'm guessing that some people have been to the venue before - is it ok?  Any tips on avoiding traffic and parking?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Robin is an excellent venue .. enjoy the gig.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Hi John,

It's actually about 4 miles or so outside of Wolverhampton, in a place called Bilston.

There is ample parking around the back of the Robin, especially if you are there early enough.

Bilston itself is a bit run down but friendly enough, and there are plenty of fast food places around.
    You can eat at the Robin though, if I recall...

The Robin itself is a great 'small' venue, and a good crowd normally. Enjoy !!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Great place, easy parking right at the back of the venue. I'll be there.
  • One of the best smallish music venues around - enjoy!

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Free public car park at the back, short walk from Bilston town centre.

There was a guy on MR who was looking to start a rock venue and he saw the Robin ( or the Robin 2 as it was known, although the original Robin long since gone) as the model of a smallish venue.

The road system around Bilston is a bit crazy but if you have a modern sat nav or map you should be fine. Even if you had to ask it is a small town and the Robin well known.

Not much of note in Bilston, it does have a metro station so it is possible to get there by reasonable public transport.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Great stuff. Thanks chaps

Sounds like the kind of place I should have already been to. I'll stop dithering over it and grab a ticket - Not_the_dj - I'll try to say hi and grab a beer!
    Anyone else from here going?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    John_P said:
    Great stuff. Thanks chaps

Sounds like the kind of place I should have already been to. I'll stop dithering over it and grab a ticket - Not_the_dj - I'll try to say hi and grab a beer!
    Anyone else from here going?
    Sure. I'm planning on getting there earlyish (I hate rushing in late) and I want to do the geeky thing and get a good look at his new gigrig pedalboard ;-)

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6798
    Thanks for the info, I'm off to see Rich Robinson there in a few weeks.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Great venue. +1. Carpark is very close to the police station.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Great venue. +1. Carpark is very close to the police station.

also near the church where we had my aunt's funeral. Not useful info but it's a bit weird going to the Robin and being reminded of my aunt Lou. Oh, and Bilston of course the setting for Tom Stade's meat van sketch.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I'm at the front drooling over his pedal board ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So am I :-)
  • We'll that was a fantastic gig last night. Good to meet you John. Outstanding musicianship from everyone on stage. I'll try and upload a couple of clips later.
    Wow that was a great gig!     The support act was the keyboard player band and they were pretty good, Italian prog rock playing a tribute to space odessy turned out a lot better than I expected.

Rothery came on and played the tracks from his solo album, with a fair bit more soloing and sounded awesome.  He used his Jack Dent guitar and Pitcher amp with a monster board.  They took a break and came back with the singer from stillmarillion and played a monster set of marillion classics - a lot of songs Marillion rarely gig these days.  All the band looked to be loving it and it sounded fantastic.  
    Best gig I've been to in a fair while and I was almost tempted to go to the london date tonight...

Here's a few pics:

Guitars:
    http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/RotheryGuitars_zps2bff012a.jpg

Half the pedals:
    http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/RotheryPedals_zps95fcc27d.jpg

Steve playing his Jack Dent for the new songs
    http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/RotheryJackdent_zps2711049d.jpg

and playing his old Squier for the marillion tunes
    http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/RotheryStrat_zps8caf5fdb.jpg
    http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/Rotherlookingatme_zpsb9572a96.jpg

and Dave Foster on additional guitar duties with a cool Musicman 6+12
    http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/RotheryDavedouble_zps602fd5b0.jpg
  • A couple of clips from last night. Excuse the camera angle I just had my phone resting on the front of the stage angled up.