Boost in the loop help

What's Hot
rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
edited April 26 in FX
I’ve been using my trusty MXR CAE line driver on my board for ever. In fact I have two. One for me Amp1 board too. I use the MXR in the loop for clean volume boost only. I fancy a change. I do find it adds a little too much top end with the volume but I’ve always put up with it. I’m not interested in eq-ing it out with a pedal as I don’t want yet another pedal on the board. 
Question is what do you use or recommend? 
Rock band obs. Currently used to boost any of the channels on my DSL100HR but has done so on pretty much every amp I’ve gigged with in the last 10 years. (Friedman, CAA, EVH, Mezzabarba, Marshall, Bogner Suhr, Diezel you name it) I’m after a boost that just boosts volume and colours very little of the tone/noise/racket!  Not interested in a volume pedal either as it has to be on-off volume instantly. I know the DSL has two masters and I do use the 6 button foot switch.
Im not interested in TC pedals coz they break all the time. I’m not really interested in the latest gazillion quid bestest pedal ever. Just something simple bomb proof, powerful but a bit more transparent. Is it out there? Or do I save my dosh and keep on rocking it?
P.S. no boost pedal in front of the amp has ever worked to increase the volume enough for my requirements.
Keeley Katana mini didn’t work for me.
Limited success with EP and SP boosts
Had a Fulltone fat boost mk1. I seem to remember liking it but it was a very long time ago 
TC pedals as I’ve said keep breaking
I have a mk1 Kokoboost love it but I have that before the amp rather than in the loop.
What do you guys use?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1266
    I'm a fan of the MXR MiicroAmp Plus which has bass and treble controls in addition to the standard model's level control. It's got something about it I really like but can't quite define.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Eq pedal , boss ge7 or similar with the level boosted to taste?

or I’ve been using a nux lacerate on one of my boards for a few years. Quite like that and it’s been reliable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    edited April 26
    I'm a fan of the MXR MiicroAmp Plus which has bass and treble controls in addition to the standard model's level control. It's got something about it I really like but can't quite define.
    +1.

Have a look at the Gigrig Underliner though.
    If I didn't have a G3S I'd be using one.

I used to use an EQ in the past. 

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited April 26
    What’s wrong with the keeley mini? I love them. There are some internal controls btw. 

The other thing you could try is a volume pedal. I had a Morley little alligator for many years, loved it. But ultimately didn’t need the sweep (or the size). 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • FezFez Frets: 528
    I think the perceived treble increase may be just due to the volume hike when you engage the boost. You could try an Exotic EP boost.
          So far I haven't had any problems with Tc pedals other than the mini ones not being solid enough on a board. Just had to strap my spark mini down with a cable tie. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10434
    Get a box and install 2 pots and a footswitch in it. Then wire it so the footswitch chooses which pots output (centre tag) goes to the loops return. 

Then you have 2 volumes to choose from. Set one pot louder than the other, that's the solo boost. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 284
    Seconding the TC Spark.  If you want to experiment a bit without blowing too much money try something like a Mosky Deluxe preamp. It's a boost/overdrive but the boost side has a ton of level on tap.

All this is going to depend a lot on the loop of the amp though. 

Looking at the list of amps you've been through I don't see a HiWatt on there. A DR103 will handle what goes in the front end in a whole different way to anything Marshall style. If you want a situation whereby you can step on a boost and everything just gets louder but doesn't break up or compress then the HiWatt could be the thing for you. It will change the way the rest of your pedals behave which is either a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective. It would be an excuse to dive down a whole new set of rabbit holes.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    The recent Boss boost preamp looks great.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    snowblind said:
    Seconding the TC Spark.  If you want to experiment a bit without blowing too much money try something like a Mosky Deluxe preamp. It's a boost/overdrive but the boost side has a ton of level on tap.

All this is going to depend a lot on the loop of the amp though. 

Looking at the list of amps you've been through I don't see a HiWatt on there. A DR103 will handle what goes in the front end in a whole different way to anything Marshall style. If you want a situation whereby you can step on a boost and everything just gets louder but doesn't break up or compress then the HiWatt could be the thing for you. It will change the way the rest of your pedals behave which is either a good or a bad thing depending on your perspective. It would be an excuse to dive down a whole new set of rabbit holes.
    Been down far too many rabbit holes- too many have dead ends for me! :)
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 312
    Boss LS2 has worked beautifully for me for years in the loop. I used a GE7 for a while but it was too sensitive for me with sliders and my size 11s, switched to a LS2 with one pot up for a boost and it gives a lovely, clear transparent boost with loads of headroom that’s really controllable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72491
    jdbwales said:
    Boss LS2 has worked beautifully for me for years in the loop. I used a GE7 for a while but it was too sensitive for me with sliders and my size 11s, switched to a LS2 with one pot up for a boost and it gives a lovely, clear transparent boost with loads of headroom that’s really controllable.
    You can use the LS-2 as a two-stage boost as well, for when boosting just once isn’t enough :). Although it does have the slight flaw that you can only cycle round off > boost > more boost > off etc, that’s usually what you need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ColsCols Frets: 7072
    Well, you’ve torpedoed me with the ‘No bloody TC Electronics pedals’, because I just use a TC Spark Mini in the loop and it does exactly what you need.  Volume lift, no added distortion or tone coloration.  Job done.  Even better, it has a nifty ‘momentary switching’ option where if you press and hold the footswitch it switches off once you release - perfect for a momentary boost.

For the ‘TC pedals break all the time’ point, I haven’t had this experience.  However, you should be aware that some TC pedals (and the Spark isn’t one of them) are basically rebadged Behringers.  You can spot them easily as they’re suspiciously cheap.

Aside from that - why not get the 6 button footswitch for your DSL?  This allows you to switch between two master volumes, just set MV2 a bit higher.
    edited April 27
    Cols said:

Aside from that - why not get the 6 button footswitch for your DSL?  This allows you to switch between two master volumes, just set MV2 a bit higher.
    “Not interested in a volume pedal either as it has to be on-off volume instantly. I know the DSL has two masters and I do use the 6 button foot switch.”
    Yes I do. :)
    jdbwales said:
    I agree with the sensitivity Rhys. That’s why I just want a switch. Never thought of an LS2.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7072
    Cols said:

“Not interested in a volume pedal either as it has to be on-off volume instantly. I know the DSL has two masters and I do use the 6 button foot switch.”
    Yes I do. :)
    So you do!  Attention to detail fail…
    Decided to save my dosh and stick with the CAE for now…………….tbc!
  • Used a volume pedal for years. 2 types, and one is the right impedance. Nicked that from the late Mike Casswell, who took it from Luke, Landau etc. way more versatile than just a set boost - can mix yourself. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7505
    edited April 30
    Not used a loop boost myself but made me think of:
    Xotic RC Boost
    Boss LS-2
    Boss GE-7
    Red ones are better. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Source Audio eq pedal - the small format one - no sliders to knock / 4 presets  - midi if required.
    plenty of db boost even if just flat eq 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited May 1
    Suhr Dual Boost is worth a look, it has two levels available (both of which can be selected via either the footswitch or mini TRS switching) and, crucially, each has a hi-cut option which may solve the top end issue you mention in the original post.

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/pedals/boost/suhr-dual-boost-pedal/