Gibson J200

What's Hot

I've been lusting after one of these for years , and now I reckon might get one second hand so  I'm looking at one  online
But I'm not sure if I'm looking at the genuine article or one of those crafty Chinese copies masquerading,

Any hints tips or tricks ?

Cheers

Damian

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    The photos aren't great but it looks genuine.

I would never buy an acoustic guitar that I had not played - particularly a Gibson. They are very variable.

I once played a new J200 - which in spite of its huge physical size - was one of the smallest sounding acoustics I have ever played.

I know @ICBM has a modern Gibson (a Dove IIRC) and he reckons it's the best sounding acoustic he's ever played - so they are capable of making good guitars.

At this price level, you really have to play the exact instrument before parting with your cash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    Basically what he said. I haven't seen many fake Gibson acoustics because they're so much harder to get right than electrics and the market is a lot smaller I guess.

Definitely don't buy without playing. I did a couple of hours of solid acoustic-trials in the summer. Tried several J45s, Hummingbirds, etc and eventually bought a Dove. I didn't quite want to stretch to J200 money so didn't try one in case I fell in love, but the Dove is a fantastic guitar, while the Hummingbirds I've tried have all been a bit "meh".
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • My lad has a Gibson J200, and it does sound pretty good, not as good as Some Martins I have played, but one of the best that I have heard. Did have to travel upto guitar village for it, as none of the others I tried were as good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    Thanks for the help , the thing that was worrying me is that the label is blurry cant decide if it says Bozeman or Boseman (apparently some of the chinese labels mispell it)
    the guy does'nt seem keen to give me any more pics of the label or the back of the headstock. 

cheers !!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    It looks genuine to me - assuming that's the actual guitar. The real problem would be that you have no way of knowing that the pics haven't just been lifted from somewhere else, so it makes no difference really.

Yes, my Dove is the best-sounding acoustic I've ever played. It's the only one that sounds just 'right' whenever I pick it up - almost all others seem to have not quite enough bass, or too little mid, or not enough punch or something, and need a bit of technique adjustment to get 'the sound' out of. The Dove always sounds perfect straight away.

That said I am currently trying to resist buying another Gibson! A friend of mine is selling a CJ-165, and although it's not as universally perfect as the Dove, it's totally different and has a real character of its own - in comparison to the Dove it's all midrange, but in a very responsive way. It's also physically slightly more comfortable to play. I can't really afford it but I don't want to let it go either...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM thanks for that.  The guy is about a 3 hour each way road trip from me. Based on the refusal to accomodate better pics   I've decided not to make the trip .

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    damodai said:
    @ICBM thanks for that.  The guy is about a 3 hour each way road trip from me. Based on the refusal to accomodate better pics   I've decided not to make the trip .
    It makes me suspicious too, because the simplest explanation for why he can't give you better pics is because he doesn't actually have the guitar…

You could always ask if you can come and see it, that will prove it one way or the other! If he has the guitar, it's genuine from what I can see in the pics.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    As @richardhomer said, you MUST try before you by, especially with Gibson Acoustics.

I have an Historic J45 that has seen off both a Montana flame maple J200 and a 2010 J200, even after a headstock break it's head and shoulders above any other Gibson acoustic I've tried. I intended to get a back up to in while in Nashville and tried 3 J45's, all were different and, in my opinion not as good as mine back home.

Also, if you are playing live in a band with a J200, they can be a bit muddy, I stuggled to get either of mine to sit will in the mix with the band, hence they have gone......But a good one is still a stunning sounding guitar for the studio/house.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    J200s are in my experience one of the most variable guitars.

I've played loads of them from all eras and by and large (sadly as they look very cool) I'm usually underwhelmed by them.

Occasionally you do get one that's absolutely fantastic.

This is a guitar I would NEVER purchase without playing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • J200s are sometimes called "the whispering giant", because they are quiet for their size.
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    J200s are sometimes called "the whispering giant", because they are quiet for their size.
    yep, totally agree with this, mine is an awesome guitar but it gets drowned out by my mates dreadnought

I expected them to be much louder........it's still ace though :D
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Tell him you have a mate in the area and could he call round and try it for you