Narrow Nut Acoustic Recommendation

What's Hot
Hi all. A very old, severed and repaired, thumb tendon is coming back to haunt me. I'm struggling to wrap my thumb over the fretboard and fret the E string. I have a lovely Furch Vintage 2 but with a 45mm nut width I think it's time to find something a bit more forgiving. Has anyone any recommendations.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    edited April 27
    Atkin guitars tend to have 1 11/16th width nuts, many others as well i would have thought. Slim neck carve may help as well especially if it’s a c shape or v 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    Some Yamahas tend to be narrowest, D18s and J45s are in the middle. Atkin are great and sound better that comparably priced Martins.
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 213
    I think the Gibson style Eastmans are 1 11/16" too (a hair under 43mm). That's the ones with ss in the model names. That's just at the point where I notice it feeling narrow, even though 1.725" (a hair under 44mm) is fine for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    edited April 27
    Look out for a late 90’s Japan built Takamine , something like an EF261-san.  Think mine is around 42.5mm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 225
    My Martin 000-15m has a v slim neck. 
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 340
    I have a couple of Auden acoustics with 43mm nuts. Both punch well above their weight. Furch make some fine guitars and they do models in different nut widths from what I recall, so maybe another Furch with a 43mm nut?
  • naustin261naustin261 Frets: 8
    Thanks for the recommendations. @MartinB, those Eastman look very interesting. The clips I've listened to of the E10ss sound pretty damn good.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Is your struggle to get thumb over purely in relation to the nut width? 

Would a slimmer neck help?

Some Eastmans have quite hefty necks on them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 40
    edited April 28
    There's a nice Brook Lyn in the classified Acoustic £ section on this forum that would suit you. 44mm nut and easy to play  low action. He might accept an offer......
    BigPaulie said:

I think the nut width is main issue. I did have an Eastman E8D for awhile but that neck was a bit too much for me. The Furch doesn't feel as chunky, just too wide.
    PCT57 said:
    There's a nice Brook Lyn in the classified Acoustic £ section on this forum that would suit you. 44mm nut and easy to play  low action. He might accept an offer......
    Cheers, but a little far out of my price range.
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 73
    BigPaulie said:

I had an E1OOSS SB which had a narrow nut and a slim neck. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11952
    Seriously, I'd just stop using my thumb. I've got lots of injuries/damage, and would rather avoid flaring things up where possible

I'm so used to not using it on classical guitar anyway, so would probably just stop using that trick
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 238
    edited April 29
    I remember seeing Richie Havens on Whistle Test or something many years ago, and was amazed at his thumb wrap technique.
    Personally I've never managed the thumb wrap technique, ever.
     s

• ShadowShadow Frets: 73
    I'm so used to not using it on classical guitar anyway, so would probably just stop using that trick
    It's not a trick as far as I'm concerned, it's an integral part of my technique. There are songs I couldn't play without it.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1884
    Soupman said:
    I remember seeing Richie Havens on Whistle Test or something many years ago, and was amazed at his thumb wrap technique.
    Personally I've never managed the thumb wrap technique, ever.
     s

I've never been able to either. My hands simply aren't big enough.
    Seriously, I'd just stop using my thumb. I've got lots of injuries/damage, and would rather avoid flaring things up where possible

It's not a trick mate, it's how I play, how I've always played. I would rather find a guitar that allows me to carry on playing the way I've always done and avoid having issues.