Recording rehearsals

What's Hot
CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 222
edited May 5 in Studio & Recording
I often record rehearsals so that I can practice along to the rest of the band at home. It's the easiest way for me to 'remember' what arrangements we've done as a band and how the songs are different to the original recordings.  

I started doing this over 20 years ago with a personal Sony Minidisc recorder and Sony stereo condenser mic.  I then started to use a Boss Micro BR which had a single mic and after that, the Boss Micro BR-80 which has a built in stereo mic which is what I'm using now. I also use it when on holiday along with a folding travel guitar to practice with headphones and write songs using the built in 8 track recorder.  I'm aware that this can all be done on a mobile phone now, but sometimes, using a device that doesn't have internet access is more conducive to creativity!

Anyway, the BR-80 was released 13 years ago so is getting a bit long in the tooth.  There are things I don't like about it.  Primarily, it's the length of time it takes to power on.  It may be due to the size of memory card I have in it (32Gb) but it takes a couple of minutes or so to start up and be ready to record.  It's not long in the grand scheme of things, but frustrating nevertheless when I want to quickly start recording.

Other aspects I don't like:

- The battery life is ok, but could be better.  I think the screen stays on for the entirety of recording which is a drain.  
- It's a rectangular slab, so not easy to place somewhere convenient apart from on top of a flat surface.  It would be nice to be able to mount a recorder on a mic stand.  
- Record level.  I usually keep this quite low to avoid distortion (25/100) but sometimes, it does clip. I understand that 32 bit float devices available nowadays avoid this, but I must admit, I'm not sure how this works in practice.

Other things that could be better:
- File transfer.  Trying to use the device to transfer the files via usb is far too slow (see startup time above) so I take the card out and plug it into a card reader.  It would be great to have a quicker way to do this, or even to be able to transfer wirelessly (not sure if this exists).
- Limited recording formats/quality - I think the bitrate is 16 bit and 44.1kHz sample rate for WAV with no other options apart from mp3.
- Editing. You can't edit the file in the machine itself.  I'm not sure I would regularly need to do this as I use Soundforge for editing, but if I had time to kill at the end of rehearsal and could quickly save individual songs, I probably would...which leads me onto
- Speaker. Not essential, but for quick playback and editing, a built in speaker would be nice.

Essentials I still need:
- Built in stereo microphones
- ability to plug in earphones
- battery powered
- small and portable, so able to easily fit into the pocket for a Mono M80 gig bag.

Is there anything that ticks the boxes above that any of you have used?  If so, what do you recommend, or what should I stay away from?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 925
    I think the Zoom H4/H5 tick most of those. They've started releasing some 32 bit float stuff too, although I'm also not really clear on how it works in practice either.

My main reason for replying though... what folding guitar do you use...?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 222
    Thanks, I've just had a look at the new Zoom ones, and they look quite good.

The folding guitar is a snap dragon something or other.  I've not managed to find a similar one online, so not sure how long they made them or what the model is.  I had an e-flite before this and sold it, but regretted it as it's so handy having something so small that will fit in a small suitcase or bag.  It's particularly useful for practicing on holiday if I have a gig coming up, or writing if I'm staying somewhere inspirational!  It's surprising how well I plays and how well it stays in tune when it's reverted to playing position from being folded.  It only needs minor adjustments.  I bought this one used locally for £125.  It's in great condition apart from the hole someone drilled badly through it!  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    @CarbonCopy I use a Shure MV88 mic plugged in to my iPhone. I have to use an adapter cable since I upgraded to an iPhone 15 (the MV88 has a lighting plug, and the iPhone 15 is USB C).

The new MV88+ uses a cable, so can be used with both lighting and USB C.

I use it with the Shure MOTIV Audio app, which let's you adjust the stereo width of the recording (it's basically a M/S microphone).

HTH
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2797
    I used what I thinknwas the BR80 for a while - did it have multiple instrument and mic inputs ?

• CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 222
    @CarbonCopy I use a Shure MV88 mic plugged in to my iPhone. I have to use an adapter cable since I upgraded to an iPhone 15 (the MV88 has a lighting plug, and the iPhone 15 is USB C).

The new MV88+ uses a cable, so can be used with both lighting and USB C.

I use it with the Shure MOTIV Audio app, which let's you adjust the stereo width of the recording (it's basically a M/S microphone).

HTH
    Thanks.  I don't have an iPhone, so that won't work for me unfortunately.  I also may need to use the phone during rehearsal (e.g. playback of songs, writing practice notes for songs, setlists, arranging calendar) and I just want something I can set up and leave in the same place in the room for 4 hours or so. 
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    When I needed to do this I used a Zoom H6 which was probably overkill. It also doubled up as an interface for a while. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4813
    I'm happily using a Tascam DR-22WL hand-held stereo recorder. It does everything on your "essential" list. The standard memory will record 4 hours of 24/44.1 WAV audio without any battery changes. But this is just one of many, many suitable products you could buy. Most of them are pretty decent.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2335
    Been using the zoom.h2n for years. It's very good.