Murphy lab acoustics , wow . Nice guitars hefty price

What's Hot
hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4225
The Hummingbird is jolly nice & the SJ  but the standard ones are expensive enough let alone Murphy lab . I think the Epiphone inspired by represents a good compromise. Hell I’d be happy with the Epi studio hummingbird , apparently it’s not as refined though , but it would be great for banging out Angie & some other stones numbers on 

Murphy lab hummingbird 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27453
    Yah I played a ML Hummingbird at the weekend. Unquestionably the best hummingbird I’ve ever played, which is impressive. 

I’m stopping by the Gibson Garage next week while I’m in London to try the whole range… I really don’t want to fall in love with anything (!) but you gotta try em, right? :) 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4225
    Yah I played a ML Hummingbird at the weekend. Unquestionably the best hummingbird I’ve ever played, which is impressive. 

I’m stopping by the Gibson Garage next week while I’m in London to try the whole range… I really don’t want to fall in love with anything (!) but you gotta try em, right? :) 
    It’s gotta be done , enjoy yourself .  I had a recent windfall that enabled me to buy a cheap Vintage brand tele and a fender Tonemaster amp  so I’m quite happy , but should another more significant amount drop into my hands I’d be tempted on the regular Gibson or the Epiphone inspired by. But will have to stick with the Harley Benton for now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

It’s gotta be done , enjoy yourself .  I had a recent windfall that enabled me to buy a cheap Vintage brand tele and a fender Tonemaster amp  so I’m quite happy , but should another more significant amount drop into my hands I’d be tempted on the regular Gibson or the Epiphone inspired by. But will have to stick with the Harley Benton for now 
    Yeah I really want something cheaper than my current acoustics that I can gig happy without stressing over it getting damaged or nicked, but while I’m in the area it’s nice to get a benchmark of what a good J45 can do :)

• TanninTannin Frets: 5587
    I haven't got my mind around paying $6800 for a standard J-45 and $6900 for a standard Dove yet. Paying $13,500 for a Hummingbird or $15300 for an SJ-200 just isn't on my radar. 

If I'm going to spend that sort of money on a guitar - and I just might one day - it certainly won't be on a Gibson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3500
    Tannin said:
    I haven't got my mind around paying $6800 for a standard J-45 and $6900 for a standard Dove yet. Paying $13,500 for a Hummingbird or $15300 for an SJ-200 just isn't on my radar. 

If I'm going to spend that sort of money on a guitar - and I just might one day - it certainly won't be on a Gibson. 

Agree, I'd say the same thing applies to Martin too, but they have some more issues with QC than Gibson.  I'm just amazed at how much acoustic prices have gone through the roof.

£10k for an D-28 Authentic!  Even a standard OM28 is the best part of £4k.  I really regret not getting a OM-18GE when they were first released.
    Yeah completely agree re modern Gibson & Martin pricing. Most likely I’m looking for an boggo j45, one of the new Touchstone series Bourgeois, or possibly another Atkin but open to anything that isn’t insane money but doesn’t feel like a compromise compared to my existing acoustics. 

The ML Hummingbird I played last week was certainly very nice but still not even close to my current acoustics for double the money 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There’s a Sigma hummingbird ,there’s a video of Danish Pete & that other guy off the pedal show comparing it to a Gibson 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1957
    There’s a Sigma hummingbird ,there’s a video of Danish Pete & that other guy off the pedal show comparing it to a Gibson 
    If its a Sigma then its probably a very good guitar.
    If it’s a Sigma then it’s probably a very good guitar.
    It looks and sounds great on there & there’s a J200 which looks lush 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 776
    edited May 15
    I'm sure the Murphy Lab Gibson is a lovely guitar, but at the price? Yeh! LOL
    :-)

Gibson Murphy Lab 1960 Hummingbird | Heritage Cherry Light Aged - Peach Guitars
    I’ve played a bunch of these now. The Murphy’s definitely have a genuine “old guitar” vibe to them, but honestly some of them sound like cardboard boxes and they’re hella expensive. The Atkin J43 I spent a good while with yesterday knocks spots off every single Gibson in the Garage. And the 1-1.5k Eastmans (while not as good as the 3k Atkin) were right up there with most of the Gibsons too
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1957
    There was a time not long ago when we'd have heard the name 'Murphy' and it may have preceded a joke involving gentlemen from the Emerald Isle. I think adding 'labs' might be the modern take on that.