NCD… ruined!

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7219
edited May 10 in Amps
Well, what a bloody buzzkill. 

I found a glorious looking 1965B cab from ‘86 online and thought it looked great. Did some online research - seems to be a hidden gem with owners of them absolutely gushing about them. Original speakers in it, negotiated a good price, ordered. Super excited. Plan to pair it with my new 2061X which I’m totally in love with already. 

Arrived via DPD today. That’s a relief; DPD are the good ones. 

Nope! It took a kicking. 2 of the aftermarket castors are deceased. Arses. Not the end of the world though, will remove the plates of the others and speak to the seller about replacements. 

Anyway, trying to not let that piss on my chips, I removed them and plugged everything in. 

No sound. Nada. Try different speaker cable. Nish. Different head? Nope. 

Back off. 

Bollocks. That’ll be it then. Must’ve had a lovely journey to me! 

All fixable and the seller already has replacement parts on the way for me, but im gigging tomorrow and was going to throw it in at the deep end so im bummed out. 

Shame; it’s very pretty which of course is the main thing (!)

Gratification on hold, for now. Boooo. 
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28770
    This, too, shall pass. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7219
    Sporky said:
    This, too, shall pass. 
    Oh I know… but it would be nice to buy an amp related item and not have to immediately get the screwdriver out. 

Maybe one day *crosses fingers* 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3324
    Fingers crossed for the speakers then ;-/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fingers crossed for the speakers then ;-/
    The same thought had crossed my mind too
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28770
    Sporky said:
    This, too, shall pass. 
    Oh I know… but it would be nice to buy an amp related item and not have to immediately get the screwdriver out. 

Maybe one day *crosses fingers* 
    Oh, absolutely. I did not mean to dismiss or diminish your pain. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1023
    That is bad packaging on the sellers part in my opinion. Remove the castors and either send them separately in a small box, or tape them around the soundpost in a bag, depending on how heavy they are. Then a thick layer of polystyrene on the bottom to protect from impacts, ideally around the whole cab.

The cardboard over the grill has been done wrong too. It should rest on the outer rim of the cab to be of any use (leaving a gap between the grill and the cardboard), not pressed right up against the grill material. That is not going to protect the grill if anything hits it.

Unfortunately normal when buying stuff on Ebay. People are lazy, and generally clueless about packing things safely. Buy local and collect in person if you want things to stay in one piece.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 471
    Great cabs these… I had a 1965B and a 1966A at one point and they both sounded fantastic and were super portable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    Keiko said:
    That is bad packaging on the sellers part in my opinion. Remove the castors and either send them separately in a small box, or tape them around the soundpost in a bag, depending on how heavy they are. Then a thick layer of polystyrene on the bottom to protect from impacts, ideally around the whole cab.

The cardboard over the grill has been done wrong too. It should rest on the outer rim of the cab to be of any use (leaving a gap between the grill and the cardboard), not pressed right up against the grill material. That is not going to protect the grill if anything hits it.

Unfortunately normal when buying stuff on Ebay. People are lazy, and generally clueless about packing things safely. Buy local and collect in person if you want things to stay in one piece.
    This. Terrible packaging.

Hopefully the speakers are OK - I definitely wouldn’t gig it without testing first.

Cut the push-connectors off the jack wiring and solder them properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    Good looking cab, and surprising to see how small it is compared to the 1936.

I once bought a flight case from flight case warehouse which came just wrapped in plastic and rolling on casters; the couriers had mashed 2 of the casters there too. The delivery guy at the time told me they don’t like exposed casters as they make the parcel hard to stack and they often get dropped from a height on the casters, jamming them up, then it no longer even rolls and gets even worse handling. 
    Good looking cab, and surprising to see how small it is compared to the 1936.
    I thought that too. It’s lighter as well! It’s made my 1936 look massive and somehow less pretty too. Just need it to sound good now. We’ll, I’d start with any kind of sound. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72716
    GavRichList said:

Just need it to sound good now. Well, I’d start with any kind of sound. 
    If you need to gig with it without testing it first, swap the speakers and the wiring from the 1936 into it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    GavRichList said:

Just need it to sound good now. Well, I’d start with any kind of sound. 
    If you need to gig with it without testing it first, swap the speakers and the wiring from the 1936 into it.
    I don’t, thankfully. It’s all indulgence! Going to give the 2061x its first runout tonight at Focus Wales, and I’ll be using a victory 212 cab as there’s one there. Creambacks, so should sound pretty great still. My 1936 will be in use beyond that until the 1965 is up and running. Sadly I cannot solder! 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 888
    You need to give a full rig rundown pls, and tell us what kind of music you're playing......

Looks like it'll be an awesome setup!
    Ha! These amps, small city-sized pedalboard, a Jag, a JM and a Ric.

I'm in two bands, Gallops and Rich List (both of which can be found on all your major streaming platforms). 

Cab is now fixed. Sadly the 2061 is poorly and is currently with Marshall as it dropped in volume and distorted in an unusual way during rehearsal for last weekends Focus Wales show. I suspect it's eaten a valve. 

Got to try the cab with my JTM45 yesterday though, and it sounds lovely. Very different to the 1936G which has a lot more low end; this feels more open and even maybe. As always, these things are impossible to describe. 

Did a little loop scribble on first play though - only iPhone mic, but sounds great to my ear.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Lucky escape firing the amp up and the wiring being broken not taking something out , I'd chalk that as a win tbh
    sweepy said:
    Lucky escape firing the amp up and the wiring being broken not taking something out , I'd chalk that as a win tbh
    Well, you say that… my JTM45’s rectifier went! Luckily I had a credit note for hotrox so its back and firing. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    That's a relief, if I haven't got a cab plugged into any of my amps I actually remove the mains lead. better safe than sorry

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom