Should I do a swap? ... decisions decisions decisions

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited September 2013 in Guitar

You know how it is ... once you've decided to sell a guitar it's gotta be sold ... soon as ... right?

Well, I've had an offer on my Overwater. First real interest for some time.

I've just lowered the price.

The offer wasn't a sale though it was a swap.

My Overwater for a Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute Goldtop Darkback.

Mmmhhh.

Blooming dilemmas.

It is worth less in guitar terms.

But market values may put them on a roughly equal footing.

I'm posting in hopes that there may be a spark of wisdom and insight from someone that helps me make a decision.

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17718
    tFB Trader
    In terms of workmanship the Overwater is streets ahead and in terms of desirability it's the other way around so I suspect market value is about the same unless you find an Overwater fanboi. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Les Paul ought to be easier to sell so it might make sense to swap.
  • The Les Paul ought to be easier to sell so it might make sense to swap.
    Agree with this... so dependent on how long you have been trying to shift the Overwater it may make sense.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72806
    The Les Paul ought to be easier to sell so it might make sense to swap.
    +1

You can sell a Les Paul any time you like just by pricing it a fraction below the market, since there's an almost unlimited demand for them. Selling an Overwater at all unless it's so cheap you're basically giving it away is much harder.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

I have advertised the overwater on and off several times ... though I think too high a price because I probably wasn't sure whether to sell.

I have just spent £100 getting it all maintained and stuff - but realise I can't factor that in to the market price. I do want to sell though. I have made that a definite decision. So I have dropped my price from £800+ to £600. Still no takers at that price though.

• Do you like a Les Paul as a guitar?

If not then its just a quick and easy guitar to sell.
    edited September 2013
    close2u said:

I have advertised the overwater on and off several times ... though I think too high a price because I probably wasn't sure whether to sell.

I have just spent £100 getting it all maintained and stuff - but realise I can't factor that in to the market price. I do want to sell though. I have made that a definite decision. So I have dropped my price from £800+ to £600. Still no takers at that price though.

I think you'd have to drop it to under £500 to even have a chance unless you can find someone who specifically wants it - which is sad and not a reflection on the quality of the guitar. You can get £500 for a Les Paul Studio in decent condition any day of the week.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited September 2013

I do like the Les Paul ... never had a Gibson ... had an Epiphone Custom and an Agile AL3100, and several Vintage V100s including their version of the goldtop with W90s.

Will the Studio be a step up from these?

I am not sure I am a big fan of the Goldtop. I do like to see some woodgrain. Though I once played a Greco Goldtop that was gorgeous.

I'm not sure I am a fan of P90s. Don't get on with hum.

But .. I may just love it.

close2u said:

I do like the Les Paul ... never had a Gibson ... had an Epiphone Custom and an Agile AL3100, and several Vintage V100s including their version of the goldtop with W90s.

Will the Studio be a step up from these? 

In my opinion, yes.
    close2u said:
    I'm not sure I am a fan of P90s. Don't get on with hum. 
    I can't remember if the middle position is hum-cancelling on these... it might be. If not, you can mod them to be so, or replace the pickups with ones that are.

Do it quick before the guy changes his mind :).

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10873
    tFB Trader
    Simple mod to make P90s bucking in middle position ... but it does involve flipping the magnets, so you have to be comfortable mucking around inside pickups ... and the sound of the pair humbucking is thinner and a little sharper than two P90s with the same polarity on together.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    don't do it...the overwater will be miles better in my opinion...
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Unless you have lots of kids, and no food at all in the cupboards with which to feed them, then no.

Never played an Overwater, know very little about them, but it wouldn't be me.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."

Deed done.  The Overwater is by far a 'better quality' instrument.  But ... it wasn't for me, much as I loved it's tone, it's looks etc etc.  It just wasn't right in my left hand.  Who knows what'll happen with the Les Paul.  But if I don't bond with it I am reassured by the comments here that it'll sell easily.  And I guess that is what swung it.  I wanted to sell the Overwater and GAS after something new (to me).  This swap at least clears the one-in one-out 'blockage' I had because the Overwater wasn't shifting.  I've taken a monetary hit ... especially considering I just spent money on some luthier work - and on a costly 1-day ad on basschat forums, harumph. But hey ho. 

Thanks for all comments.  I'll be cleaning her up and what-not then take a few pics.

ps

I don't seem to have been given the little bolt that the large pickguard screw fastens to, securing the bracket up iff the body.  Where might a get a spare?

Much easier just to leave the ugly cheap-looking creaky piece of plastic tat off the front of your lovely new guitar.

;)

The thread for that bolt is a US type - getting one that fits here might be tricky. Try a guitar shop and see if they have any spare ones lying around.

It's funny you say that ... a Goldtop with P90s is about the only Les Paul that I like to see the pickguard on.  It just goes well with the large creamy P90s and the round switch plate.  There's too much gold without relief when it's off.

All other Les Pauls, especially burst, I agree, leave it off.