Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Finished First guitar build. Shiny then not so shiny.

What's Hot
DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
edited December 2015 in Making & Modding
Hope everyone doesn't mind if I bore them with my first shot at doing this. It had to be a Tele for me.
I decided from the off that I didn't want to spend mega bucks but would still (edit: aspire to build something!) decent to look at/play. So far I've managed to acquire a 3 piece ash guitarbuild body and half-stripped flamed maple neck from this very forum at a very decent price. Knuckleberryfinn and monoamine are doing the honours. They should arrive next week. Just HOPE that the neck and body fit. They're 56/56 so fingers crossed. Well, that's it for now. I'll be asking for tips along the way folks so any help will be hugely appreciated. Lots of pics promised. Cheers :)

Edit:Rather than keep adding posts I'm going to store my build inventory here:

1. Body: Guitarbuild swamp ash 3 piece
2. Neck: One piece flamed maple
3. Paint: Rustins grain filler - Nitrocellulose sander sealer - Yellow spirit based wood stain - Nitrocellulose black - Nitrocellulose lacquer
4. Pickups: Fender Custom Shop 51 Nocaster set
5. Hardware:

Electrosocket jack plate
6. Electronics: Mojo pickups 3 way Classic Tele
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Good man. I completely forgot about the Guitarbuild site last week, and ordered a vintage spec Tele body from Axecaster. I have to say, it's spot on. Flat spot, router hump, excellent price, zoom zoom delivery.

The Strat body will be from Guitarbuild tho.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3853
    edited November 2014
    That's good to know. If you're gonna use guitarbuild check their eBay listings, there's always bargains to be had from what I've seen. Cheers.
    Well, some stuff is now on it's way. Body, neck, paint and pickups.

I'm going to be doing a very stark yellow/black two tone burst. This time for refinishing I intend to stain the bare wood as opposed to spray it with a tinted lacquer. This is how Fender did it way back from what I've read, so I thought what the hell, have a go. I also managed to get the 51 Nocaster pups off Thomann for a very reasonable 83 quid delivered.

Can't wait to crack on.
    :)
  • This won't bore me :)

Good luck, and have fun! 
  • It won't bore any of us, @Deadman ; :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It won't bore any of us, @Deadman ; :)
    Wis'd. Shit like this is great. Esp' if one is at 'work'...
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 850
    Deadman said:
    I intend to stain the bare wood as opposed to spray it with a tinted lacquer. This is how Fender did it way back from what I've read

Every burst finish I've done has been using this method, rubbing the initial yellow into the finish first, initially it started off as I was too lazy to spray it on thinking it will be mostly covered anyway, and have since tried both spraying the yellow base and rubbing with a rag and rubbing wins hands down everytime, zero clean up work required which keeps your gun clean and ready to load with the outer burst colour.

Really looking forward to seeing the finish. Good Luck man

Well that's good to know. Fender dipped them back in the 50's from what I've read!
    Thanks for the encouragement gents.
    Has anyone got any recommendations on where to buy my wiring kit please? I'd like it pre-assembled as much as poss.
    Mojo Guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks man. I like the sound of them from what I've read on here anyway. Off to have a look now.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    +1 for Marc at Mojo
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    Ordered the the standard Tele 3 way from Marc at Mojo.
    Just hope I don't mess it up!

Body (and free Strat neck!) have arrived from @knuckleberryfinn. Cheers Paul!
    edited November 2014
    I forgot what a pain it is when you're attempting to get things delivered. I now have 3 packages in limbo because I wasn't in to sign for them. Shit man. Edit: Just been to sorting office. I bought my stain, lacquer and grain filler all off the same eBay shop. They decided to send the stain by royal mail, it was leaking. The other stuff they decided to send by apc, it's currently sat at a depot 20 miles away and they're not answering the phone. Pain in the arse.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    i never got a reply from apc on a recent order.  emails to their redirection address all got returned, calls to their phone line never went anywhere.

I ended up emailing their customer services director to point out that i was not willing to travel 15 miles to pick it up.   managed to get it sent to my work address, which i don't think they normally offer but its what i asked for in my original email.  at no point did they respond to tell me what they were doing with it, or what my options for redelivery were
    Cheers Wez. Looks like I've got a battle on my hands. Why on earth they've split the delivery into different couriers is beyond me.
    Finally got my stuff, just hardware and pickguard left to get. The body and neck seem to be a perfect fit so I'm happy.
    Well, the remaining poly on the neck I got from monoamine was not coming off, so I flatted the remainder back with a block/by hand and scuffed between the frets. A few coats of shellac later and it's ready for a couple of coats of nitro lacquer. It's darker than I wanted but can't be helped. I've grained filled the body too. That'll be prepped and stained next. Pics so far:

Cheers.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    Hardware ordered from Axecaster. There's no going back now!

• Still watching with great interest :-). Looking great so far!