Ampmaker P1800

What's Hot
Has anyone built one of these?

I built an SE5 some years back and still use it now. Great little amp. Now I fancy building something else – something that might be feasible to gig with, and this looks cool.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It seems like an 18W clone but with a few tweaks (probably useful ones). I've never played an 18-watter, but my understanding is that it's practically impossible to get a clean sound at volume. The VVR will work really with this though (I have an N5X) to get nice power stage overdrive at lower volumes.

Looking at the gut shots it doesn't look much more difficult to build than the N5X.

• I'm not bothered about clean sounds so that's fine. Yes - I think it's basically an 18 water but with the additional option of a cascaded gain stage for more crunch, which is handy.
  • P1800?

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah - they're cool too!
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Yes.

Completed about 3 or 4 months ago. As per usual with the Ampmaker kits, great instructions - though my only feedback to Barry was that I felt that photos of a completed build (in some areas) would have been more helpful (IMHO) than the drawings that indicate how to complete the wiring.

Very happy with how it has turned out. VVR works well, and there's sufficient options on the tone and drive front to satisfy my needs. 
    This has effectively made my SE5a redundant.... 

• Hi MtB 

Yes - I guessed it would make my SE5 redundant. I guess I'll have to sell it. I've now ordered a P1800, although Barry's out of stock for a couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to it. 

I plan to put it in this old Selmer 2x12 cab.image
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    *IN*?

Hell man, that is a really cool cab - it would be a real shame to carve it up, IMHO. Your cab and all that, but sheesh, I'd love something like that - but kept as just a cab.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It is cool. But it didn't start life as a cab. It started life as a Selmer Lead 30 combo.It would have had a little tin amp nailed to the top - like this.

As far as I can tell they weren't up to much.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    OK - I've seen those 'Lead 30' amps about... and I've heard similar!! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

edited November 2014
    I plan to put it in this old Selmer 2x12 cab.

Bare in mind that the "stock" configuration for the P1800 is a head - so how were you planning having the amp chassis mounted to the cab?  Something along the lines of a bluesbreaker? Or fixed to the inside of the top panel? 
  • Like a Bluesbreaker.
  • I see what you mean. I'm not sure whether Barry does the combo style of chassis. If he doesn't, can you see any reason why I can't just use the head style one? All it means is that the valve will be pointing towards the baffle, rather than straight down.
  • My N5X is mounted that way, bolted onto the back panel of an 18W-style 1x12 combo. Plenty of clearance, even with an EL34 power valve.

I was expecting an AC30-style shelf or rails in the cab, but bolting it onto the back panel is fine. I don't think the 18W transformers are substantially heavier. The controls are the "wrong" way round from the front, but I'm used to that anyway with Vox amps.
    It's worth asking Barry about this (I can't remember where I got the combo chassis for my 18w clone - probably fleabay). 

The only issue that I can think of is whether the power valves would be low enough to interfere with the backs or frames of the speakers - which seems unlikely.

Other than that, it's just going to be a little bit of a bitch when you come to swap out the valves, as you'll either have to dismantle the back panel and take the chassis out to do the change or contort your arm around the chassis and hope you're able to locate the valve pin / hole orientation easily. With a combo chassis you can just lay the combo on it's front and peer in to see the valve bases. 

• I checked with Barry and he says it'll be fine. And the kit arrived this morning. So I'm chuffed to bits that I have to work in London all weekend...
  • I've made a rudimentary start on the P1800. My problem is that I can't see to do it unless I have natural light, which is in currently short supply round these parts.

Anyway - here's most of the hardware bolted to the chassis. As ever, Barry (Ampmaker) has done a cracking job on the instructions. I once bought a power scaling kit from that grumpy bloke in Canada. It's till sitting in the bag it came in, thanks to the hopeless 'instructions.'

imageimage
  • Step by step build pics please! I still plan on doing one of these. One day.

:) Barry is a lovely bloke, I've chatted a few times over the phone and email and he's so enthusiastic.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I feel your pain. My amp build required a visit to the opticians to get glasses made that allowed me to see things!
  • Gagaryn said:
    I feel your pain. My amp build required a visit to the opticians to get glasses made that allowed me to see things!

It's the worst thing about getting older (although I suppose I should count my blessings). I love making things – this is the third amp I've built nut without natural light the process is miserable.

Barry is a lovely bloke, I've chatted a few times over the phone and email and he's so enthusiastic.

Yeah - he's a great bloke. Can't recommend his stuff highly enough. If only he made work lamps!