recommend me a soldering iron

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
with these dark nights rolling in I'm going to do a bit pick up swapping so I'm after a cheap soldering iron ,lidl or aldi have one in at the minute  including solder ,are they any good ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I got a Sealey one for around £15, with solder.

I made a stand out of an old wire coathanger.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Im sure theyll do the job.The main thing is to practice first on some old wire, head over to YooChoob and some boring bloke will have a tutorial on soldering or if hes American sardering
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ibought one from maplins for £9.99, worked for a month of very light use then stopped working. I took it back , but because I didn't have a receipt (even tho its their own brand so I couldn't have a bought it elsewhere) they refused to replace or refund.

simple, I bought another one and used that receipt to return the duff one for a full refund, assholes

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ajaxajax Frets: 76
    Buy a used Weller on Ebay, you'll never need anything else for as long as you live
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Maplin. The bloke on the counter even told me I'd picked up the wrong solder and told me which type I needed. 

I bought a Draper iron once. That was awful. 
  • Cheap but hot is fine. Use the chisel tips. Buy some tip cleaner. Wipe the tip after every solder with a damp cloth/sponge thingy they sell in a kit.

Maplins.

Or buy a used weller.
  • Used Weller, one of the baby blue ones. They are virtually bombproof and temperature controlled (and adjustable with different tips).

A cheap iron will probably work for a while but even out the box is unlikely to as stable thermally. So you get cold joints or dead components.
  • +1 on the Wellers. I've been using them pretty much every day since 1983 and while I have briefly used better (Metcal), they are industry standard for a reason.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7856
    THIS SOLDER STATION

Fantastic price (they used to be around £100, now £39.  Great build quality, excellent temperature conrol, just all around amazing.

Makes life a lot easier than a crappy £9.99 soldering iron.  I've struggled with cheap soldering irons in the past, this sodr station kicks ass.

Marlin
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    Don't over think it, unless you're really getting into it you just need a hot thing to melt shit with.

But buy two, a 25w for general work and a 100w for quickly doing pot grounds and pickup covers.

Yes I have a fancy solder station (I build 6-10 effects pedal PCBs per week), but I often just use an old 25w Weller I found in a box of crap at a car boot sale.

It's more important to learn good technique tbh so watch a few videos, but you'll soon get the feel for it.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10372
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    THIS SOLDER STATION

Fantastic price (they used to be around £100, now £39.  Great build quality, excellent temperature conrol, just all around amazing.

Makes life a lot easier than a crappy £9.99 soldering iron.  I've struggled with cheap soldering irons in the past, this sodr station kicks ass.

Marlin
    Exactly the unit I use
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Can't believe I'm getting soldering iron GAS.

:-S
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31588
    Apparently Shitehawk do a good one
    ;)
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    that solder station one looks the one ,it says it has 3 heat settings ,which ones doyou use for pick ups and which for melting solder off the pots when removing old pick up wire ? is it trial and error ? sorry if its a daft
    sorry if its a daft question but I am a newbie at soldering
  • Not a daft question if you don't know. The temperature should be set to the right temperature for the solder you're using. Lead free needs hotter typically unless you spend money for extra materials in there to make it behave. It will be written on the packet and if in doubt go a little hotter. Trial and error is good here so having a few practice parts is always good.

The power indicates how well it will hold temperature when soldering something big and metallic like the back of a pot, which radiates off all the heat. Big tips help here as they dump in heat faster than it radiates away.
  • RigsbyRigsby Frets: 62
    Weller WHS40
    thanks for all the advice ,one final question would the maplin solder station be powerful enough for melting and unsoldering onto volume pots (hope that makes sense)
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    TheMarlin said:
    THIS SOLDER STATION

Marlin
    Yep, for the money these are great. Picked one up last year and used it to build a valve amp. Plenty of heat when needed, The stand is a bit loose but generally...it's a bargain.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    I have used countless soldering irons in the past and never got decent results. Got the maplin solder station and it's by far the best I've used and now my soldering is not to bad. I have used it for guitars and for tiny connections on an Xbox also.