Pedal Board power supplies

hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
edited November 2014 in FX
I'm investigating power supplies for a small board I am building. For my large board I use the Voodoo Lab PP2+ which is great. However, I'm thinking of getting one of the Diago powerstations and daisy chaining a maximum of 5 pedals if that. Any problems with the Diago power plants i.e. ground loops or noise? Alternatively I could go for the pedal train Volta to go under my Pedaltrain Mini but will always worry about running out of juice during a gig although I'm probably being paranoid.

Any advice ?

P.S. I don't want to spend a lot of money on one :)
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    The onespot is very good. 

You will need to make sure none of the pedals are ones that put noise into the daisy chain.

I think Thomann do a cheap isolated harley benton one.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    Will all the pedals be upfront of the amp? If so the Diago will be fine, I use them, but you might get ground loop trouble of some of the pedals are in the loop and sharing the PSU
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Get the power plant jr from thomann they are rediculously cheap and isolated so they're pretty much silent.
    Plus mines powering over 10 pedals and is working fine.
  • Will all the pedals be upfront of the amp? If so the Diago will be fine, I use them, but you might get ground loop trouble of some of the pedals are in the loop and sharing the PSU
    Yep all in front. Diago is certainly the cheaper option. 1 Spot is another I could try. Funny if they get too cheap I start to worry why :)
  • MattG said:
    Get the power plant jr from thomann they are rediculously cheap and isolated so they're pretty much silent.
    Plus mines powering over 10 pedals and is working fine.
    Good price but it's too big and was hoping for it to sit under the pedal train out of the way
  • I have a Visual Sounds One Spot as a back up. Fine but you end up with the thin cable going across the stage to the plug/extension lead...compared to the slightly more rugged figure of 8 power lead on the Diago. Just seems a bit more road worthy. I've been using the Diago Powerstation for years.
  • Annoyingly I had one less than a year ago and sold it to someone here. I can't remember what model it was but it did make a bit of noise when using one of my pedals but I probably won't be using that pedal on my smaller board. Yes being more robust would be important to me. I think the Diago is winning me over. Especially when the pedaltrain Volta comes in at £80 and your paying more for the portabity which I won't use really
    not_the_dj;425328" said:
    I have a Visual Sounds One Spot as a back up. Fine but you end up with the thin cable going across the stage to the plug/extension lead...compared to the slightly more rugged figure of 8 power lead on the Diago. Just seems a bit more road worthy. I've been using the Diago Powerstation for years.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I have a VS One Spot for my Mini. While it works great, there is a slight audible noise. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Cioks Adam Link which has isolated outputs and fits under the PT Mini perfectly.
  • Wow that sounds great for my needs. Ideally would have liked to have 5 outlets but 4 should be fine in reality, Never seen cioks before. Thanks
    Branshen;425344" said:
    I have a VS One Spot for my Mini. While it works great, there is a slight audible noise. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Cioks Adam Link which has isolated outputs and fits under the PT Mini perfectly.
  • I've been using a Diago Micropower9 for about three years now - it powers everything (in front of the amp and in the loop) on a single daisy chain, and hasn't introduced any noise at all compared with a Voodoo Lab PP2+. Of course, that's as much a function of the fact that my pedals are well-behaved apart from the Polytune Mini (which makes digital interference noises when the amp's on a gain-y channel).
    <space for hire>
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    The Mooer Diago-alike off Ebay for about 18 quid. I have one running about 16 pedals no problem.
  • I've been using a Diago Micropower9 for about three years now - it powers everything (in front of the amp and in the loop) on a single daisy chain, and hasn't introduced any noise at all compared with a Voodoo Lab PP2+. Of course, that's as much a function of the fact that my pedals are well-behaved apart from the Polytune Mini (which makes digital interference noises when the amp's on a gain-y channel).
    Hmmm could be a good starter point to see if it's works ok with my few pedals before one day maybe upgrading, should I need to, to an isolated power supply. Anyone selling ? :)

Thanks for the info
  • Hmmm could be a good starter point to see if it's works ok with my few pedals before one day maybe upgrading, should I need to, to an isolated power supply. Anyone selling ? :)

Thanks for the info
    For what it's worth, I've also got a couple of the Mooer PSUs @dogload mentions - they're just as good on my board. If you end up with a ground loop, you can always do what I used to - run one for the pedals in front of the amp, and one for the pedals in the loop. They're cheap and small enough, and they don't generate much heat so you can put them in close proximity without worrying.
    <space for hire>
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Another Micropower user here, running a handful (four or five) 'normal' pedals into the front of my rig with nary an issue. And yes, the 'proper' figure-of-8 plug is much more reassuring than the spindly little cable from a wall-wart type trailing across the stage.