How would you like an app that writes guitar tablature by ear?

guyov1guyov1 Frets: 2
edited November 2014 in Guitar

Hello friends.

As you might remember, last May we posted demo video in reddit and someone also posted it in this forum.

This was certainly not a scam.

We received lots of feedback. Before that, we weren't sure whether we should develop it or not, but after reading the comments we decided to go for it. The technological problem that we tried to solve, polyphonic guitar transcription, was a tough one. As enthusiastic digital signal processing students, we believed we could crack it. We struggled through 6 months of intensive R&D and academic duties, and achieved only a partial, non-satisfactory result.

We ran out of time and money. We sought funding, but mostly we were told that our business prospects weren’t big enough to justify it. Because we weren’t fully satisfied with the app, we weren’t sure whether we should publish it. But we promised we would, so we’re releasing what we have completed so far.

You are welcome to try it out.

We appreciate any feedback or support. This will encourage us to keep improving the app.

Regards,

Guy & Michael

support@tabify.info

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'm going to give it a try, will get back to you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like an interesting project.  Is it phone-app only at the moment?  If you have something that'll run on a PC I'd give it a go.  Good luck with it anyway.
  • No PC version yet.... might be one day.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    What about iOS? It seems like a really interesting project.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    mart;428534" said:
    What about iOS? It seems like a really interesting project.
    problem with iOS is you have to pay to become a developer so it's cheaper and easier to go droid route.

• guyov1 said:
    No PC version yet.... might be one day.
    Fair enough.  Might try it on a virtual machine with Android x86 and see what happens...
  • We had to choose one operating system. We chose android. In case we get support we will clone it to iOS.
  • What are the in app purchases?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I have downloaded it and am looking forward to giving it a though going over
  • The in app purchases are a way to support this project. It will open the minimum number of songs. Additionally in the future it will open new features like midi playing and exporting to other programs...
  • Thanks for the great comments guys.
    We are still trying to get a critical mass of downloads because only 100+ people installed it by now, which is surely not enough to get any community response.

If you have any friends or any other community you are involved in, please spread the word.

You can contact us at:
    tabifyapp@gmail.com

Thanks guys!
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Hhmmm, I got it and tried it last night but it struggled to keep up and i'm certainly no shredder.

I just put the phone in front of the speaker. Any tips to improve response?
  • Also tried it, love the idea, but in practise it seemed fine at picking up open notes, but as soon as I started moving up the fretboard it seemed to get confused and all of a sudden the notes were jumping strings! 

Where is the best place to put the phone while playing?
  • Regarding shredding - currently, you must play slowly.
    We need around 0.2 seconds to estimate the active pitches.

The translation from notes to fret-board is in a basic version that will be improved.
    Currently there is some kind of weighting function trying to pick the frets that are closest to the ones just played.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4205
    Maybe something like the pitch tracking employed by Jam Origin for their Midi guitar app ?

• As commented above struggles to keep up with what's being played at times. Doesn't seem to work when strumming chords either but maybe it's not meant to? Is it single notes only?

Good idea though and would urge you to keep on developing it if you're able to.

I'm sure there'd be a market for this type of app with a bit of extra functionality, e.g. audio playback, chord recognition and speed of recording.